NEW GREYHOUND - 1st IMPRESSIONS?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Latest news from the developers is that the plans were submitted to Lewisham on Friday 21 November.

We have been told that the model is likely to be ready by the end of this week. As Lewisham has a backlog of applications of approximately 2 weeks the model should be in place by the time the application is registered.

As soon as the model is at Kirkdale Bookshop Gallery STF posters and readers will be advised
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Pat,
Surely you must agree the plans are ugly. Why everywhere new living accomodation. As a lot of migrants are returning home we will not need them and anyway who can afford them at present.
A garden would be nice
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

So far a computerised photomontage is all that has been made publicly available. I personally am not coming to any conclusion about the plans for the site until the full proposals are in the public realm and we have all had time to study the details.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Sorry Pat, I accept your point. Although the drawing does give the impression of the old fashioned Paternoster Square ( unfortunately the Greyhound is not St Paul's )
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

I don't care what it looks like; my worry is MORE residents in South East London???? These residential buildings are popping up everywhere, they're ugly and usually once people have moved in there's washing hanging up on balconies and litter occurring. I can't help thinking can Sydenham really squeeze any more residents in? The developers don't think about how the area works for the people who live there, just as long as they can build more poxy flats and shove more people in them! Is it gonna have a knock-on effect on the trains?? At the moment, getting a train to London from Sydenham is a reasonably easy affair with not too much overcrowding (til later along the line) - is that gonna change with more residents nearby?

And what about people turning off the roundabout to go into perhaps underground parking or a car park - that's gonna cause CHAOS!

I say just leave Londoners alone now - we've squeezed in more than the maximum amount of people that will fit, now let us be and we'll try and cope with the overpopulated area we already live in!

RANT OVER!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Nickerbockers I am 100% in agreement . There are already too many people in the locality.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

I notice nothing new on the Lewisham planning portal (please correct me if i am wrong)

I therefore assume nothing will be viewable until the New Year.....

Ali B
robertlondon

Post by robertlondon »

Aerial View

A friend of mine recorded the model on his camera phone. Here's a capture from the video

The video (mainly aerial view) is here http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=l3AST4r-B_U
simono

Post by simono »

Can some one clarify please. Where did this model come from, who has it and why is it not available to the public?
This is worse that I ever though possible. Peak Hill Gardens will be in perpetual darkness as this is the Southerly aspect and therefore where the light comes from.
I do not understand why the building line is not to the front of the site where it would minimise the consequences. As usual PHG is being ignored.
Still in the current economic climate the chances of anything being build for the next 5 years are zero!
simono

Post by simono »

Just had an email from Lewisham Planning. Whist the application was put in in December it is invalid as the information submitted was inadequate. So I guess we watch this space!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

This proposed devolpment is a monsterous carbuncle ( to quote out heir to the throne ).
Sydenham already overpopulated. A green area would be the best solution with flower beds etc
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

I think we should all be aware by now, that the Greyhound was purchased in a relatively stable economic climate, and with the subsequent drop in housing/land prices, the developers are left with two main options in order to turn a profit out of the site.
1) To develop the site with as much housing/building space as they can get approval for.
2) To leave the site vacant until house prices start to rise again (though realistically, this is probably not viable)

IF the robertlondon posting is a sneak preview, I am having some difficulty in working out which buildings are proposed and which are existing.
Let's hope Wealdfrost (or their agents) get the necessary information forwarded to Lewisham so we can get a proper insight.

Ali B
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I guess we are all very sorry for the devolpers that market changed. If they had the slighest common sense they would have realised bound to happen. They have been happy to make big profits in good times now want the council to roll over in bad times .
Looks like a mini town . Does anyone know the expected population of area after , god forbid , the devolpment completed.
This is an outrage. The area concerned was never residential , why are the council rolling over to allow residential in non residential area. Lets face it the area of Sydenham covered by residential must be very high.
Too bad devolpers lose money . It is a gamble afterall.
I say NO housing at all on this SITE
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

It is a truely awful proposed development that I, as a resident of Peak Hill Gardens, hope never gets sanctioned by the planners at Lewisham. It appears Lewisham have thrown it out already (as per SimonO), so that's a relief.

This could run for years before anything is built on the site and all the time developers are putting in unrealistic plans such as this one. In the meantime we have a little wildlife haven at the back which is rather a welcome sight.

Look at the Regency Club site in Spring Hill - that has been empty for a good few years now - although at one point there was a plan for 17 x 2 bedroom flats on that site. (I think that was the no.).
robertlondon

Post by robertlondon »

As far as I'm aware, he took the video in the bookshop across the road.
The model is in the bookshop.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Agree no more flats, however nice the development.
Have little time to involve myself in such matters but if someone made it easy I would sign petition / make my views known when it's time....
simono

Post by simono »

Just been to see the model and it is even worse than I thought. I will attach a link to some pictures once I can work out how!. For someeone who lives in PHG the building line is about 10m further towards the boundary than the main building (about 5m nearest to Spring Hill). Add to that the fact that the buildings are taller it means all light cut out to at least ist floor level if not the top floors in winter!
And there is no parking - a great aspiration but not in the real world yet. Above all however it is just so ugly and totally out of keeping with what has been designated a conservation area.
I will not say too much more as I need to keep my powder dry for my objection to the planning application. I will be organising a petition for locals to sign, I wonder if the Sydenham Society would help get signatues across the area to stop a total overdevelopment of the key gateway site and one that will blight not enhance the area.

[/img]
robertlondon

Post by robertlondon »

More photos

From Peak Hill Gardens

From Sydenham Station

From Sydenham Road

From Westwood Hill

From Cobbs Corner

simono

Post by simono »

Thanks I won't bother to upload mine but I think this proves my point
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Well according ot Pat Trembath's post of 9/12/08 the Sydenham Town site were going to be informed as soon as this model was in the Bookshop. Strangely this does not appear to have happened. Anyway - thanks go to RobertLondon for keeping us in the loop and advising that the model is in the Kirkdale Book Shop.

However, it is hardly being given a high profile in the shop and can be found in the 'coffee' and exhibition area - but with no title or reference to it being the model of the proposed development.

It does make me wonder whether people are being excluded deliberately. I note that on the Sydenham Society Website that they have been involved in the design process and deliberately kept this confidential - why? when it concerns so many local people. Why has no one, apart from RobertLondon advised the STF that the model is available?

Well folks - go and see for yourself what is being proposed - the model is in the Kirkdale Bookshop.

I am not sure why the Sydenham Society are keeping these plans 'confidential'. Surely any plans which concern the locals should be open and transparent. I would like to hear why a chosen few are being party to this information and keeping it from the rest of us?? Surely as a proposed development within a 'conservation' area, Lewisham will have to be extremely rigid on any agreed plans?