unidentified tracks

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
will greenwood

unidentified tracks

Post by will greenwood »

I was looking through some of Steve's images, and, ever on the quest for an anomaly, I was interested in the layout of the rail tracks and buildings at the bottom of this image, especially tthe section to the right of the large gothic building...they just dont seem to tie in with the maps I've seen.
I just wondered if anyone can clear this up.
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

...I also found this image.
not connected but intersting.
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

Ooh, I don't know if my bandwidth will ever be the same again!

The simple answer is that this is a composite view, with the Crystal Palace and Rosary, and the Parliament buildings of the 1911 Festival of Empire taken from opposite angles.

Apparently someone from the Exhibition Study group has analysed the Campbell Gray postcards of the same time, to confirm that all the people shown attending, were cut out of photographs of completely different events

They were the people who also brought that weighty tome out - on the BACKS of Crystal Palace postcards! :shock:
Last edited by tulse hill terry on 3 Jun 2012 01:46, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

The railway line existed, built in 1911, and seems to have been more or less as shown. It was called the "All-Red Route" and took passengers past all the main exhibits representing the British Empire. As every schoolboy knows, the Empire was red on maps. Its route is marked (in red, of course) on this map (uploaded elsewhere by THT or Falkor):

and here's a picture of one of the stations:
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

thats brilliant!
thanks for that...
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

That map was uploaded by Falkor.

This is the map I've uploaded before on STF

[Nice scan from your "new" copy of the Auction Catalogue Mr Grindlay]