Rockbourne Rd area

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
will greenwood

Rockbourne Rd area

Post by will greenwood »

I was wondering if anybody has any images or memories of the area around Rockbourne rd, particularly the top end of Stanstead rd.
I remember old Mr.Russel's sweetshop and D. Sole the Newsagents with the Jubbly machine outside....I cant picture any of the other shops though.
There was a wood yard opposite the end of Rojack rd up until the 60's, but i cant find it on any maps.
Also, are there any images of the old convent next to forest hill school, or the location of the school before it was built.
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

Ok...
lets widen the area.
anything near Waldram park rd, (telephone exchange, bus station etc) Mayow rd....particularly any history of the convent at all, the school grounds, and the perry rise end.
any images or memories before the schools and estates would be very welcome.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

That's better... here are a few pictures, all to be seen at higher resolution on Flickr:
Waldram Park Road

Waldram Park Road

Waldram Park Crescent

Rockbourne Road

Rockbourne Road

Tram terminus, Perry Vale

Tram terminus, Perry Vale

Methodist Church, Stanstead Road

will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

many thanks, Steve, thats brilliant.
Is the methodidt church in the same place as the modern one, opposite the railway telegraph?
im particularly interested in the prefabs opposite the top of rockbourne rd, built on the bomb site that had been elizas place, but we've talked before about that, i know.
anyway, thanks again.
just that convent to track down now;-)
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

The Methodist Chapel is the same building, Will. For some reason they simply rebuilt the front facade in 1913.

Could the convent you mentioned in Mayow Road be St Winefride's High School, which was at 16 and 20 Mayow Road from roughly 1925 until after 1939? I imagine it was a Catholic establishment as the head was called the "Reverend Mother Superior". If so, I know of only one picture, of no.20:
You can't see much of the house, but it does demonstrate that pictures taken in the snow may be very pretty, but they're not much good for local history!
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

I think thats it, Steve.
Forest Hill school used an old wooden building, with a hall and 4 small 'classrooms', which i imagine were offices and changing rooms originally, we had drama and art classes in the 'convent' as we called it..it would have been situated behind the main building, where Acorn way is today.
So possibly the school was built on convent land?
anyway, many thanks for that