BECKENHAM ODEON CINEMA

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

BECKENHAM ODEON CINEMA

Post by leenewham »

It's a shame that we no longer have a cinema in Sydenham (or Forest Hill for that matter). There is nothing quite like seeing a good film on the big screen.

We went to The Curious Tale of Benjamin Button at Beckenham last night (good film by the way). The cinema was busy and the big screen mostly full.

I have never been in a cinema as noisy, full of inconsiderate chavy yobs who really couldn't care less about either watching a film or anyone else around them. People giggled, talked, rustled sweet bags as much as possible, texted on their phones constantly from the ads, through all the trailers that were impossible to hear at all and thought most of the film.

Constantly people were shouting shhhhhhh.

I thought the ritzy was bad in Brixton with kids running riot around the place, but my god it was terrible.

I've seen films in cinemas all over the Americas, in Brazil, El Salvador, Mexico, the USA and there is ALWAYS a level of respect for the film and the people watching.

It really spoilt it. I wont be going back. Looks like it's central London from now on.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am afraid sympton of society as a whole.
Too many people have little or no respect for others.
Not sure how we got here , butn here we are.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Get yourself an Orange phone, text "FILM" to 241 and take yourself off to a film on Wednesday night a Purley Way Vue.

I've been going there frequently with Mrs Barty for 6yrs. Never any problems.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I've been to Beckenham Odeon many times and never encountered a problem – I find it a pleasant cinema to visit.
I think it depends on when you go. I haven't been to anything when lots of kids are there – now i'll make sure I don't!
simon

Post by simon »

Yes, I think it depends on what you see as well. We saw The Queen film there and I was like being in an old folks home, very quiet! Saw Walk the LIne there too, no problems.
davegr

Post by davegr »

Maybe thats the sort of audience that goes to see puerile drek like Bejamin Button.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It was more like the audience that goes to see purile drek like "friday the 13th part 24" than the audience of a film nominated for 13 oscars.

;-)
davegr

Post by davegr »

Unfortunately oscar nominations/wins have never been a good indication of film quality- Titanic, Forrest Gump?? :roll:

You do wonder the kids wasted their money to bother going in at all. Plus where were the cinema staff? O that's rights cinemas are usually staffed by 4 people doing everything.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

We went to see Slumdog Millionaire at Beckenham a couple of days ago, the 5:20 performance. Despite only 10 Oscar nominations the audience was well-behaved and continued to sit quietly (and appreciatively) throughout the closing credits.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

I've been to the Beckenham Odeon a couple of times and not had any problems - it's not a bad cinema really, just a shame they only show pretty mainstream stuff. It's nice to be able to go to a cinema only a few minutes from home though, rather than having to trapse home from the west end.
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

Oh, come on, guys. Bums on seats keep local facilities going and this means means money at the Box Office.

With no purpose-built cinema in Lewisham (what an utter disgrace!) I'll vote for mainstream at Beckenham and go to Greenwich for the avant garde!
sophie

Post by sophie »

Beckenham is positively posh compared to what the cinema in Catford used to be like!!!

We go to Beckenham quite regularly and find it okay. Screen 2 is my favourite especially if you choose the seats with the extra leg room (on your left as you walk in - they have the barrier in front of them). Not the posh seats.

I do avoid going to see the big blockbusters when they first come out though as it can be really crowded and uncomfortable. Leg room in Screen 1 is very tight and I am a short arse!

Orange Wednesdays are a brilliant bargain. I got an orange sim card about 3 years ago especially for them and we have used it lots. The sim card cost me £1 (although you can probably get one for free) and we put it in an old phone and put a tenner top up on it. Haven't used up the tenner and must have seen at least 10 films with it.
parker

Post by parker »

Hahaha oh wow, remember the ABC cinema days in Beckenham and Catford, Catford closed far early than it should have due to a number of Health and Safety reasons including a persistant rat infestation. Not good is it?!

Thank God for Odeon Beckenham, at least South West Lewisham has a cinema only one bus ride away :D