Crystal Palace Aquarium

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Konqi

Crystal Palace Aquarium

Post by Konqi »

Felt Like Collecting known images of the Aquarium, Avery, Menagerie.

Three Illustrated Prints:

Aquarium and North Wing:

Can see it here as well:

Can see it in the background just before the North Tower is dynamited:

Aftermath of North Tower falling on half of it:

1947 aerial photo:

Aquarium around 1956:

My photos of it in 2007 and 2008 ((Photo by Daniel Alston under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License)
)

Now for a theory, I do think this image could be of the inside of the aquarium during the 30s although the insides have been altered and marked on a map how I think they have been.

However could be some where else.
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

Is that image from the 30's definitely the Crystal Palace.

I have seen tiny pics of the Crystal Palace Art School which was in the South Wing, which had a lot of plaster work obscuring Paxton's cast iron units, though they were for a long time refreshment rooms, I have seen one engraving which shows a very ornate room far too wide for one of the wings.

Here's a map to help, I was actually allowed to make a photocopy. I wave MY copyright. :lol: So is the part that survives marked on the map as 'H'?

What was it being used for up till 1936? Have you seen the rather sad animals being auctioned from a Crystal Palace Zoo in 1913. Obviously didn't want to stuff them like poor Charlie.

Konqi

Post by Konqi »

The glass lamps in the picture also make me think it could be the aquarium because the ends of them look similar to pieces I have found up there, but those sorts of lamps were probably used all over the place.
tulse hill terry wrote:Is that image from the 30's definitely the Crystal Palace.
The title of the news reel it is from is:

"Crystal Palace - FINE FEATHERS AND FINE BIRDS - at 66th National Show of Cage Birds."
tulse hill terry wrote: So is the part that survives marked on the map as 'H'?
This is what survives today
tulse hill terry wrote: What was it being used for up till 1936?
It is a bit of a mystery
tulse hill terry wrote: Have you seen the rather sad animals being auctioned from a Crystal Palace Zoo in 1913
I haven't actually
Paxton

Post by Paxton »

Thanks Konqi, and Terry, once again.

You've made this forum interesting again - was dying a bit of a death...
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

Paxton

Post by Paxton »

Well, I think it's a sensational photo. Even if no-one else is going to respond!

I'd love to know more about this archeology, assuming that's what it is.

Is there a way to become involved as an amateur?

Thanks, Konqi. Keep them coming...
tulse hill terry

General Guide to the Crystal Palace 1873
On the eastern or garden side is a door by which we can pass through a glass vestibule on to an open terrace, whence a magnificently picturesque view of the gardens and landscape is to be obtained. This vestibule forms the entrance by which we can descend to THE MARINE AQUARIUM, a department for the permanent exhibition of living animals to illustrate the science of marine zoology. The building for this purpose has been specially constructed, it is 300 feet long and about 50 feet wide. It includes several divisions containing many thousands of sea-creatures both vertebrate and invertebrate. There are in all sixty-one tanks. Of these Nos. 1 to 18a are for the larger animals, Nos. 19 to 27 for the smallest Nos. 28 to 38 for those of medium size. These are shown to the public; but besides these there are twenty-two tanks not for public inspection, which contain animals in reserve at fitting seasons. the largest tanks have each a capacity of more than 4,000 gallons, the smallest hold 40 gallons each. the total quantity of sea-water in use is 150,000 gallons, or 700 tons. Of this 130,000 gallons are stored in a reservoir below the saloon, and the remaining 20,000 are in the tanks which contain the living animals. the water is pumped by steam-power constantly day and night, and circulates through the tanks at the rate of from 5,000 to 10,000 gallons per hour (according to the temperature and other conditions). The engines and other appliances for maintaining the flow of water are all constructed in duplicate, to prevent the possibility of any cessation of the currents. the artificial natural condition, so to speak, that is absolutely necessary to life in an aquarium is now perfectly set up; the spores of sea-weed have germinated plentifully, many lower forms of animal life have appeared, and all the scientific process that has been carried into effect has completely answered the purpose for which it was designed.

For more complete information see the "Official Handbook to the Marine Aquarium, &c.," by W. A. Lloyd, Superintendent of the Aquarium. Price 6d.
I'll include the next part of the text to show how the display of birds was close to the Aquarium, and the Art School. There's nothing visual to guess the exact layout of this part of the building, rebuilt after the fire of 1866, other than the 1903 Motor Show Map.
Close to the entrance of the Aquarium, beyond the Byzantine Court, are the private studios and other rooms belonging to the ladies' division of THE SCHOOL OF ART, SCIENCE, AND LITERATURE.

This department, which has been in constant active operation since 1859, gives an educational vitality to the collections of the Crystal palace, and is designed to utilise the great opportunities for culture that are presented here. the plan embraces systematic tuition in the manner of private tutorial instruction by masters and professors of the highest status, at fees fixed as moderately as may be found possible. The gentleman's of the school, which includes the School of Practical Engineering - the school-shops, foundry, and offices of which are constructed contiguous to the base of the South Tower and in the tower itself - is quite separate in every way from the building before us, which is designed to secure absolute privacy and quiet as well as perfect convenience for the ladies' division of the institution.

prospectus and every information respecting the Company's School of Art, Science and Literature can be obtained on application in the Library.

The Crystal Palace Company's Library and the Reading Room adjoin the school buildings, and occupy the garden front behind the Byzantine and Mediaeval Courts. the Company's Library, which is also a lending library under certain conditions, is open for consultation in the Reading Room, which, moreover, presents a more extensive collection of Newspapers and other current literature than any similar public room elsewhere. nearly 200 periodical news publications are to be found there daily, including British, Foreign, and Provincial, Daily, Weekly, &c., Newspapers, Magazines, reviews, &c., besides new books and the Catalogues and announcements of new publications. These last are shown by the book publishers, each of whom has his special space, and copies of the new books are contributed for exhibition and for examination in the room. telegrams of news are displayed regularly. Letters can be posted in the room and conveniences for letter-writing are supplied.

On either side of the Bronze Fountain are aviaries, in which a large number of British and foreign birds live; some are of considerable interest; and among them the Weaver Birds may often be seen constructing, or weaving, the curious nests they build, like stocking-shaped pouches. Macaws, Parrots, Cockatoos, &c., are placed on perches near the basin.
tulse hill terry

Interesting link re Crystal Palace Aquarium.

http://www.parlouraquariums.org.uk/Pape ... rt%202.htm
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

Looking through the LDA's conservation plan from a few years ago, which briefly surveyed sites of where different buildings and current ones are. They had one for the aquarium but in another item they also have this:

This "unknown" building on the 1953 OS map was what remained of the aquarium, the part that hadn't collapsed from the north tower falling on it.