Any knowledge re Musti's Pound Shop please?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mosy

Any knowledge re Musti's Pound Shop please?

Post by mosy »

It's looking closed and neglected? I'm hoping it's not come a cropper from recession Britain. It isn't (should I now be saying "wasn't"?) really a pound shop in the sense of cheap stuff, more a modern equivalent of a hardware store.

I'm hoping it will spring back to life as it's bad news on many levels if it doesn't.

Per heading, any knowledge please? Ta
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

It was damaged by a fire at the rear on the 15th Feb. There is a forum topic about this. At the time they said they would be open again 'in a fortnight', but I agree with you that in the last month a nose pressed against the door shows no signs of any change inside. I now have to trudge down to Jeff's, and they have nothing like the same range.

Regards
Chris
multisync

Post by multisync »

Maybe they are waiting for the insurance people,everyone knows how long they take when trying to make a claim.I hope this is the case!
Barty

Post by Barty »

I certainly miss it. The place was invaluable when we first moved to Syd last autumn - all the little niknak things you don't realise you haven't got until you need them came from there in the week or two after the move!
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Activity at last! The shop door was open this morning with two of the guys clearing stuff. They said they would be open again 'soon'.

Regards
Chris
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Great another Pound shop. That is all Sydenham requires.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

There might be an argument that the only pound shop Sydenham needs is Musti's 8)

Regards
Chris
Annie

Post by Annie »

chrisj1948 wrote:There might be an argument that the only pound shop Sydenham needs is Musti's 8)

Regards
Chris
Yep! i agree with you on that point,get rid of all the others and just leave Musti's :lol:
Barty

Post by Barty »

Eagle wrote:Great another Pound shop. That is all Sydenham requires.
Not another one, Eagle, just the reopening of the best one :wink:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

OK I accept I could be wrong. Never been in it , must try it out
Barty

Post by Barty »

If it comes back in the same form as it left, it'll be much more than a pound shop, like mosy said.

I think they sell themselves short, calling it a pound shop - it can put off people like yourself, conjuring up as it does images of cheap rubbish :wink: Definately worht a look, Eagle, keep an eye on this thread, I'm sure other members will comment on how it looks when it reopens.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D
I think Musti's is more like the old fashioned "oil shop" as we used to call it,
only without the parrafin sales haha,

I love it in there, anything to do with the home you can usually find it there.

I suppose it's a bit like Wilkinsons in penge.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I similarly have never set foot inside Musti's, as with Eagle. Perhaps if it renamed itself as Musti's General Store or Hardware Store (I'm not American but hope my meaning is clear) and changed that piggy-bank sign they might get some more passing trade?

Frankly anywhere that looks or markets itself as a pound-store gets me turning on my heels. And yes, I am aware of it being being a 'pound-plus' store but the same applies.

I just end up thinking 'so all the tawdry wares in there are 101 pence then?'
simon

Post by simon »

Yes Mustis is a good shop and welcome part of the High Street retail offering. They sell lots of branded goods at below the supermarket price and have a selection of items that you cant get anywhere else. Lightbulbs for example; much larger selection that at Sainsburys or Somerfield.
Agree it could do with a new front though. Perhaps the insurance will help pay for that.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Passed it last night seemed a long way from reopening.
parker

Post by parker »

Whenever i have walked past this shop, it has always had a large yellow sign with blue writing saying 'POUND PLUS STORE' not Musti's! And it only says 'Musti's Pound Store' on the awning in small writing. So why is it so well known as Musti's???

Barty and Ulysses you're right, ditch the 'pound shop image' and the yellow 'pound store' signage with the piggy and call it Musti's, after all most things arent £1 are they. Why make Sydenham have such a poor image??? Its not appealing at all, it just degrades the preception of the local area!!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Totally agree Parker.

I like Musti's. In the USA most small businesses are named after the owner. They are proud to put their name to the business they run.

I suggest the reason people refer to Mustis instead of the pound plus store is because it's the only part of their name that is memorable.

I have to admit it was a while before I worked what the hell Mustis was when I moved here.

It could look great with a new shop front and signage. I hope they take this opportunity.
multisync

Post by multisync »

Musti's is good whatever it's called,it actually say' pound plus" Parker" take note!!!!!
parker

Post by parker »

Should probably say 'Musti' on the large yellow sign as well, why say one thing on the main sign and another on the awning?! Maybe the owner should 'take note' as well then shouldnt they?!
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

To be fair, "Musti's", is a pretty good name for this sort of shop anyway as the name infers a shop full of 'must have' goods.

There ya go: "Musti's Must Haves" or "Musti's Musties"! 8)