Arpley Road, Penge c1870

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Marie Jones

Arpley Road, Penge c1870

Post by Marie Jones »

I am hoping someone may be able to help with my query!
My great-grandmother was born at "The Cottage", 55 Arpley Road, St John, Penge in 1869 - according to the 1871 England Census.

I live in Victoria, Australia and am finding it difficult to find much information on the whereabouts of Arpley Road. I know that much of the area was destroyed during WW11 and that the Blenheim Shopping Centre was built there.

I am visiting the UK in January and I would like to pay a visit to Penge and see the birthplace of my great-grandmother, Mary Mannering.

Any knowledge of Arpley Road would be very appreciated!
mcleanmuir

Post by mcleanmuir »

Arpley Rd is no longer.

I have some images of the road http://www.beckenhamhistory.co.uk/flash ... lery3.html then album 3.

I will put a link to an old map for you later on today.
Marie Jones

Arpley Road c1870

Post by Marie Jones »

This site is absolutely wonderful! It is so sad to know that many of those lovely old Victorian buildings were destroyed during WW11. Thank you for the post!
mcleanmuir

Post by mcleanmuir »

Here is link to a map of the area as it was in 1894.

http://www.beckenhamhistory.co.uk/arpley.jpg
Marie Jones

Arpley Road c1870

Post by Marie Jones »

Thank you so very much!
Vea

Post by Vea »

I have just discovered this site - it looks very interesting - just want to let Marie know that Arpley Road was bombed during WW2 but not destroyed.

I lived there as a child at no 66 the same house that my mother grew up in, she moved in there as a baby in 1915. The little house was a three bedroom house with a front room back room and scullery outside toilet no bathroom and gas lighting which I remember them changing over as a child. We moved out eventually in 1960. My grandmother raised 9 children in that house. We really dont know how lucky we are these days specially living in Aus.

Vea
mcleanmuir

Post by mcleanmuir »

There are plenty of images of Penge including Arpley Road here http://www.beckenhamhistory.co.uk/flash ... lery3.html
lorraine

Post by lorraine »

HI. I am trying to get an idea of a cemetry where my great grandmother would have been buried. According to her death cert she died at 56 arpley Road and my mother was born at 60 Arpley Road. My mother lost touch with her family and it has been a burning desire to find out what I can about my late mother's family. I did try and trace some in the year 2000 but it did not work out and I got very little info and did not write down details. If I could find the most likely resting place of my great grandmother that would be a good start. I do not know the area except for Anerly area. My grandfather was Frederick Kemp and he married Dora or Dorothy White and they then lived at 60 Arpley Road. I know that my grandmother left the family home around 1930. My great grandmother Eliza Bridgett died in 1911. Can anyone reading these entries provide any information that will allow me to get to know more about my ancestors and maybe link me with people that may have known them or of them.
lorraine

Veas posting to this forum

Post by lorraine »

Vea if you read this and my previous post, it is possible that you may have some info for me. Your mother would probably have known my relatives and she may have spoken of them to you. She was only a few doors away