lost railway bridge

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
will greenwood

lost railway bridge

Post by will greenwood »

where is this, any ideas?
it says its part of a bridge over the south circular in forest hill, and part of the crystal palace high level line, so it could be near devonshire rd, by the old Lordhip lane station, but ive certainly never seen this view before.

(http://picasaweb.google.com/jhn.quinton ... SixtiesBW#)
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

I believe the picture shows where the bridge crossed Forest hill road at the junction of Wood vale and Brenchley gardens. the gradient of the road looks the same as if coming up from Peckham Rye. Where the bridge buttress and embankment are located is now a council estate on Wood vale.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

This looks to be about the same position..... if you move along the road a bit you can see clearly that the house behind the fur trees is the same house that is in the background of the old picture.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

What a perfect use of Google maps
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

yes!
excellent stuff!
jmc

Post by jmc »

MartinH wrote:What a perfect use of Google maps
I'm confused. Was there a link to google maps in this thread that has been deleted, or am I just missing it?

Edit - I spotted the link :roll: Its the the word This in the post by Bensonby. I agree, a superb use for googlem maps.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Thanks for posting the picture Will. I have a lot of interest in the Crystal Palace High Level Railway as i walk the dog through part of the old route in Sydenham Hill Woods.
Friends of the Great North Wood produced a leaflet in 1995 entitled "From Nun's Head to Screaming Alice. A green walk along the old crystal palace high level railway"
It is still available from the London Wildlife trust in Marsden Road, Dulwhich.(£1). I could put it up here, but it is definitely copyrighted.

One day I will actually attempt the walk, which should only take a few hours as its lotal length is 5 miles (8km), perhaps taking in refreshment at the public houses along the way.
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »