The Woodman

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Guess advertising for waiting staff is a clue.
Certainly taking the Woodman up market. It has certainly has been down market since Redmund left in 1973.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

That's good news. I think its important for it to go upmarket – downmarket is already well catered for.

The problem with its previous incarnation is that it was neither up or downmarket enough to appeal to anyone.

Maybe if it'd had a few events - live bands, quizzes, comedy etc. it might have done a bit better.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

hopefully they'll do a good Sunday lunch again upmarket or not
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Yeah, at the moment all we have in upper syd is the very expensive Sunday roasts at the Woodhouse. Those prices are a bit too upmarket for my liking!
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i think regular events like quizes will always bring in extra custom. Only a couple of years ago the Bricklayers Arms (not even a stones throw from the Woodman) used to have a free jazz band on sunday afternoons and the place was always packed to the rafters.
Of course Sky Sports (and how very relevant to tonight) will always bring in a few extra drinkers.
I guess the new Landlord will have some ideas, but like Juwlz says, we don't want Dulwhich Woodhouse prices, and nor would i like another drinking pit, such as the Bird in Hand.

I look forward to commenting after my first visit in a couple of weeks.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The woodsman did excellent Sunday roasts before it shut.

Living in fairlawn park, it's a long treck up the top of the hill, but it was worth it.

The problems with the woodsman was that was the only reason we had to go there. No comedy night, no music, no pub quiz, no special ales, no special beer garden.

The Honour Oak is a real social hub. Hopefully they will make it a special place to go and more than just a place that does Sunday roasts and lager (at prices that don't make your eye stick out on stalks).
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

Errrr....... The Woodman did have quizzes last autumn but hardly anybody showed up for them so they stopped them after a couple of months.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

...probably because no-one knew about it! Like I didn't.

The Honor Oak is really good at networking and they have a simwebsite. They use local forums and hold events to generate excitement and get people talking about the pub. I'm raving about it and I have only been there once!

It's a really good example of a local business using online marketing. They plugged into local blogs too.

http://www.thehonoroak.com/THOcontent.html

Sugahill holds art events, they tell people about it on this forum and through the sydenham society news letter. Same with the Kirkdale book shop.

I was saddened to see the Woodsman shut, I am sure it's a viable business, but in it's old form, aside from sunday roast I knew of no other reason to go there. Now I have to venture up to Crystal Palace for a sunday roast as I disagree with paying more than 10 quid.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Yep, very pleased with this news that the Woodman is re-opening soon. Maybe it will coincide with the long-awaiting pub crawl!? :D
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Well lambchops currently seems to be having difficulty juggling his work commitments and the avalanche of female attention that someone with his good looks and strange accent commands.

I did suggest to him that we should wait until the Woodman reopens, so we can include it on a pub crawl. I think LC had in mind starting at the Hob and then finishing around the Windmill/Woodman.

I will badger LC to get the pub crawl organised once the Woody is open again.
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

One of the things missing from the area is a good little fringe theatre, similar to the Brockley Jack. nothing grand, just a room with some theatre or comedy productions...the woodman is a really nice old building, prominent site, and this would really set off the area...and tied in with the Sydenham Festival could be a real draw.
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

Minor update

The only sign in the window now is for a chef/cook, I wonder if he's taken on the old bar staff & cleaner ?

It looks like the new owner is trying to brighten the place up inside. On the back wall that was adjacent to the garden area there was a massive blackboard covering what was a window, there is now a new window that will allow lots of light in.
I also noticed on the bar some paint tins and some rollers, maybe those blue walls might be in for a facelift !

Watch this space (or go and peer through the windows yourself) !
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

personally, I hope there are some members of the old staff that the new owner hasn't taken on.
There was one particular member of bar staff who was absolutely shocking in her/his approach to serving customers. And yes, I did tell the Landlady at the time, but to no avail.

Conversely, there were some excellent staff also.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

ALIB wrote: I will badger LC to get the pub crawl organised once the Woody is open again.
My woody is ALWAYS open to a good badger.
DanW

Post by DanW »

I walked past The Woodman yesterday and the staff were doing a final clean up - they said it's re-opening today.
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

Its open !
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Thankyou GB for the alert that it is now open.
I went in there for a quick schniffter this afternoon and had a chat with the bar staff and the new Landlord (Merv'). His background is running succesful pubs in the East End and his preferred market is somewhere between the Bird in hand and Dulwich Woodhouse.
(i.e, pitching the prices to keep out undesirable elements, but also enabling him to maintain a large client base. Hope that clarrifies)

He is full of ideas and energy for this project, so please give him feedback if you happen to drop in.

And he ain't going to take any cr-p from undesirable clientele. This will be a nice pub for nice people
Last edited by ALIB on 15 Jun 2009 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
michael

Post by michael »

ALIB wrote:... his preferred market is somewhere between the Bird in hand and Dulwich Woodhouse.
I think that leaves plenty of the market to cover!
Seems to me that it is about the same as saying I am planning to open a shop which will be somewhere between a Poundshop and Harrods - unless something has happened to one of these pubs of which I am not aware.
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

There's two types of undesirables, those with money and those without, & the Woodman has plenty of the former.

I cant wait to see his policy on drugs and how he will enforce it. !

From what i can gather there are definitely two of the old barstaff, one of which, if true, I am amazed he has taken on, but I can guess how it came about.

I wonder if their priority is still to take/make calls on their mobiles and Facebooking rather than serving.
I have seen plenty of people walk out waiting/unable to get served because of these very reasons.

The new landlord will have to keep a very close eye on them, if he doesnt it will be back to the same ole same ole !.

And as for his ideas, lets hope they are his and not one of the staff members who I know had/has loads of ideas, and would turn it into the sort of pub I definitely wouldnt go to. She was always moaning that the ex landlady wouldnt let her "have the weekends" so she could get all her mob in and their music.

Personally I am 50/50 on wether it will still be open a year from now.

I was hoping it would be a total change there, leopards never change their spots, oh well got to give it a chance.
Bamy

Post by Bamy »

I've just got back from a drink at the Woodman and I'm very disappointed. The place seemed pretty rowdy, the music was ok but too loud and most of the clientele were regulars from Fox's. My glass of house red turned out to be cheap Stowells on tap at the bar (and ice cold).

Not sure how Merv is planning on preventing a drug problem - there seemed to be an awful lot of people making trips to the toilets in the half hour we were there, and I don't think it was a reaction to the horrible wine.

I'm just hoping that it gets better when the place is fully stocked and properly up and running, but I do feel a bit depressed about it - I'd had high hopes for a friendly drinking hole with a relaxed atmosphere and this was not it.