Which is the better Doctor's Surgery?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Jeannie

Which is the better Doctor's Surgery?

Post by Jeannie »

Hello Everyone!

I'm looking to change doctor's surgery from Sydenham Road as I'm not impressed at all by them. Which is the better surgery to swap to please; Sydenham Green or Wells Park? And why? Thanks very much! :)
leaf

Post by leaf »

IN MY OPINION,wells park surgery would be the one,ive been going there for years,they have some very good doctors and now have a website which you can book appointments with,order repeat prescriptions and view your medical records.

they also have various complimentry therapies available like accupuncture etc

if you do try this surgery dr shona lidgey is very nice as is dr tony thekkekkara,not that any others are horrible but these drs are particularly nice!

you can check if your in their catchment area by going onto their website if you are you can pre-register online too.

www.wellsparkpractice.co.uk
CptPicard

Post by CptPicard »

I have to admit, Wells Park is a good Practice. But then I might be biased because I work there and created the website ;-)

I am also developing Sydenham Green a website which will offer exactly the same services as Wells Park.

:D
dickp

Post by dickp »

I look forward to the day that the doctors next to sydenham station decide to spend some of the bars of gold that have been shoved in their mouth in recent years on a decent website. But I'd settle for a lick of paint and reasonable opening hours for starters....
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

I've just moved into the area so thanks for the link to the Wells Park practice site - will be really useful to book appts online! However, it says that when registering i need to bring proof I've been resident for at least 3 months - why? I have proof that I live in the area (mortgage, council tax etc) so do I have to wait for 3 months before i become ill? Or travel back to my old surgery in the mean time. I understand that you need to prove your residence but do I really need to wait for 3 months?
hazy

gp

Post by hazy »

CptPicard wrote:I have to admit, Wells Park is a good Practice. But then I might be biased because I work there and created the website ;-)

I am also developing Sydenham Green a website which will offer exactly the same services as Wells Park.

Just came across this & wondering if it ever happened ....? can't get through on the phone!
poppy

doctors

Post by poppy »

Sydenham Green is pretty good. I was a bit reluctant to register because the location is pretty awful and they haven't made much of an effort with the outside - ie no plants etc. So doesn't look very welcoming. But they are very helpful, it's quite nice inside, has lots of services, and their phone lines are open in the lunch hour. Like all docs it seems to be difficult to see the same doctor because you have to mostly rely on booking on the phone early in the morning where apts are given out very quickly. I have known them to run out by 8.45!!!
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

I used Sydenham Green's website for the first time last night and I was very impressed! I managed to book an appointment, after chosing from all the available slots (although it was in Febuary!). Well done CptPicard!

When we moved to Sydenham 5 years ago, I asked my previous Doctor (in Southwark), which was better Wells Park or Syd Green - he said Wells Park " they like to think that they're the best". However, we couldn't get passed the intercom, as a snooty lady told us we were out of the catchment area in the Thorpes.

I went to Syd Green surgery yesterday and they're currently refitting some of the ancillary rooms, so don't be put off what you see.

I'm glad I'm a patient there.....
Emzy

Post by Emzy »

I have been going to Sydenham Green Practice since August last year and have been quite impressed with it. The receptionists are very helpful as well and always try and get a suitable appointment time for you and if you need appointments with different people, for example a nurse and a doctor, they will try and get appointments next to each other so you don't have to be too inconvenienced. Because it is a large practice they have lots of services, although (thankfully!) I haven't had to use many of them yet.

One of my work colleagues has been going to Sydenham Green for over thirty years and highly recommends it.

I went to their travel clinic earlier this week and was very impressed with the advice the nurse gave me and the length of the appointment - 20 mins.
Annie

Post by Annie »

I have also been using syd green docs for over 30 years,my children have been patients there since they were born.(over 20 years)
I have always been able to see the doc of my choice,perhaps not on the exact day but if its an emergency i'd see anyone!
the ringing up for appointments at 8.15am is for any available appointments on that day, but you can usually prebook appointments with the doctor of your choice for the following week (if not emergency obviously)if it is an emergency and you walk into the surgery they will let you see a doctor, they have a new phone system and i was impressed last week when i had to ring and the phone tells you which number you are in the queue and because i was 4th i hung on and it was only a few minutes later i got through.if it had just been an engaged sound i would have put the phone down and had to keep trying.
so well done whoever thought that up its much appreciated. :wink:
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

I think the average GP is much the same as the next one, but I recommend Sydenham Green practice. I've been a patient there for two and a half years and I've always been able to get an appointment on the day, whenever I've needed to, which in my opinion is the most important thing. The receptionists are very helpful and friendly. I've been for pre-booked routine things like blood tests and nurse appointments and been in and out within ten minutes. I haven't tried the new online booking system yet but intend to, when I can get around to going in and registering for it.

It may not look nice, or have plants outside, but it's the service you get that counts. It's a big practice so there are plenty of doctors and a variety of clinics. They have a Sydenham Community Garden greenhouse in the central courtyard from which they hold a plant sale every week - how fantastic is that!
poppy

doctors

Post by poppy »

Obviously quality of care is the most important feature of a GP surgerybut there is evidence that environment can have a huge impact on your wellbeing and its just a shame they have not make more of an effort on the outside - just a few large shrubs would make a huge difference.
mosy

Post by mosy »

The Vale Medical Centre on Perry Vale? Tel: 020 8291 7007

Postcode SE23 2JF. See red arrow in centre of map here: http://tinyurl.com/2pxjpx