New shop on Kirkdale

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
shopgirl

New shop on Kirkdale

Post by shopgirl »

Hello everyone

I'm thinking of renting a shop on Kirkdale, near the junction with Dartmouth Road, and am very interested in hearing what kind of goods and services local people would like to see offered there. I'm thinking, loosely, homewares, local arts/crafts and perhaps a tea room - all comments (good, bad and indifferent) would be very gratefully received. I'd be keen to hear from you even if you'd like to see something completely different, too! All comments very welcome.

Thanking you all in hopes!

Little update for those trying to find us: we are now open and at 148 Kirkdale, between Foxes pub and Avalon fireplace shop.
Last edited by shopgirl on 5 Dec 2009 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Personally I think something that stocks homewares, arts/crafts, gifts, etc would be nice. We have plenty of pound stores in the area but not really anything that sells slightly nicer stuff, particularly anything worthy of giving to someone as a gift...

To be honest though, it would be just be so nice to see something decent go into one of those empty shops in that part of Kirkdale that I wouldn't really mind what it was too much!
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

If you opened a shop that sold gifts/cards/homeware/clothes/bath products along the lines of the shops you find on northcross road in east dulwich then I'd find it very useful.
bag lady

Post by bag lady »

OOh Yes, I'd definitely use it.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

use it enough to keep it in business though?

How about a nail parlour or fried chicken shop?
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

So bensonby, how often exactly do you use a nail parlour ?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Juwlz wrote:So bensonby, how often exactly do you use a nail parlour ?

I don't use just one! :wink:
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

As a businessman of a few years, I'd say whatever services/goods you intend to sell should not constitute a 'significant purchase'. Trade would probably be a bit slow in the current economic climate, so you want goods with a fairly fast turnover and low set-up/purchase costs.
It's a bit tricky to think of something like that because Tesco has upped the stakes for local grocers.

A gift shop sounds interesting, but obviously you'll need to do a fair bit of market research to get some projected figures together.And something that looks and is of reasonably high quality.

Actually, something that would suit me would be a stationery shop/printers/binding shop. Can't think of anything else at the mo.....
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

There is a really good printing shop down Willow Way just around the corner. Personally, what the area needs are shops which are abit different, stocking useful things. I'm more tempted to go into a shop selling home wares such as kitchen utensils, home wares etc, rather than one which just sells gifts. Tea room sounds good. Make it a destination shop, so your not relying on the local trade too much. I live just around the corner from where your thinking of renting and we certainly need some decent shops.
Barty

Post by Barty »

bensonby wrote:How about a nail parlour or fried chicken shop?
Or a bookies or a pound shop? :lol: :lol:

Seriously, these are the four to avoid!!!!!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hi Shopgirl,

I sent you a PM.

Regards

Lee
parker

Post by parker »

I dont really mind what you open up but want it to look tasteful and easy on the eye. Please dont open a haridresser, nail bar, fast food takeaway, betting shop, crappy grocer or cosmetic store, cab office, shoddy looking internet cafe etc.

Would be nice to see a gift shop that sells cards, presents, stationery like Paperchase, or a funky clothes shop like Bunka in Forest Hill, upmarket sandwich and coffee bar like Blue mountain (really dont think much of Cafe Jasmine), health food shop, or even a bakers like the one by Forest Hill pools would be lovely, though what id really love to see is something along the lines of Oliver Bonas. I would think lots of people from Forest Hill and Upper Sydenham would use it, i believe it would make a positive stance on Kirkdale.

Please make the sign look better than whatever you currently see in Kirkdale and what you may typically see in Sydenham, perhaps it would be good to research this by looking at some of the shops on Lordship Lane in Dulwich, would be nice to have a sign something along the lines of 'Thats Amore' or Leenewhams new Kente design, please dont go for the neon light types that chicken shops use, they look dreadful and tacky. Im sure Lee has spoken to you about this anyway.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

parker wrote:I dont really mind what you open up but want it to look tasteful and easy on the eye. Please dont open a haridresser, nail bar, fast food takeaway, betting shop, crappy grocer or cosmetic store, cab office, shoddy looking internet cafe etc.
you live in Sydenham mate, if you want to live in East Dulwich then move to East Dulwich....

otherwise - expect the chicken shops....
apcmoomin

Post by apcmoomin »

I think a nice little deli would suit
parker

Post by parker »

bensonby wrote:
parker wrote:I dont really mind what you open up but want it to look tasteful and easy on the eye. Please dont open a hairdresser, nail bar, fast food takeaway, betting shop, crappy grocer or cosmetic store, cab office, shoddy looking internet cafe etc.
you live in Sydenham mate, if you want to live in East Dulwich then move to East Dulwich....

I dont want Sydenham to turn into East Dulwich, its just it wouldnt hurt to take a leaf out of their book, why cant Sydenham be just as nice?

I really think it can and will change over the next few years, it happened in Balham and places like that, what was once a safeway became a Waitrose, East Dulwich hasnt always been the way it is today, things change and being negative saying the chicken shops are here to stay in Sydenham is nonsense, weve already seen a few changes in Sydenham.

It takes people like shop girl to change an area and aim to invest the right business into Sydenham. The demographic is changing.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

bensonby wrote:
parker wrote:I dont really mind what you open up but want it to look tasteful and easy on the eye. Please dont open a haridresser, nail bar, fast food takeaway, betting shop, crappy grocer or cosmetic store, cab office, shoddy looking internet cafe etc.

East Dulwich has chicken shops. In fact it seems to have a good selection of shops fro everyone. I'm not sure what the problem is that people have with East Dulwich (aside form the recent stabbings and shootings). It's also a lot more expensive. I'd love to live in Hampstead but I will never be able to afford it (and even there they have corner shops and greasy spoons).

The point Parker is making ( I think) is that we need more variety. We have enough nail bars, chicken places etc. How about something different. And how about making it look nice. Blimey, I know people in Sydenham who live in social housing who hate the high street here and go to Beckenham and Crystal palace to shop or treat themselves to a nice meal.

I don't get this 'if you don't like it, don't try to improve it, bugger off somewhere else attitude'. Home park isn't a particularly nice park at the moment. But Rather than ignoring it, local people are trying to make it better. For everyone. I think there is nothing wrong with trying to do the same for the high street. Or do you think everyone should accept everything as it is Bensonby, lets not change anything, let the paint flake off and the wood go rotten?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

parker wrote: Im sure Lee has spoken to you about this anyway.
Yep, sure have, and she seems very nice.
GillM

Post by GillM »

My only observation is... there is a new "gift shop" opened in Sydenham already.

Just recently I have spent time walking along the high street and really looking at the shops there and also the state of the high street in general. The whole high street is in a very sorry state.. not just the shop frontages, but also the pavements and just the general state of disrepair of the place. There were only two shops that I felt curious enough to want to go into. The new gift shop and Kente Cafe. Certainly not because they looked inviting from the outside...only when I looked in the window. I also noticed that some of the barbers/hairdressers were trying to rent out chairs to other barbers!!!

My opinion is (for what its worth), whatever you decide to sell make sure your shop frontage looks smart and inviting.

What about a Toy shop along the lines of the one in Beckenham? Always struck me that if you have kids to buy for there is only Sainsbury's in the area that sell toys and they have a limited stock. Also a good bike shop or a Deli! Whatever you decide I think it should be something out of the ordinary because you won't get as much passing trade as you would in the high street itself.
leaf

Post by leaf »

I also noticed that some of the barbers/hairdressers were trying to rent out chairs to other barbers!!!
That is common practice and always has been in barbers.
GillM

Post by GillM »

That actually wasn't the point as to whether its common practice! The point is there must be at least 10 barbers in the high street already, thats why so many of them are advertising chairs to rent!!!