Mobile Ovens

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
fishcox

Mobile Ovens

Post by fishcox »

I catch the 0740 to London Bridge every morning; it is one of those new trains, with sealed windows and air con.

I've noticed that the air con isnt normally turned on until New Cross Gate - in fact, this morning it wasnt turned on at all.

Has anyone else noticed this? Are the train operators under instruction to save energy, to the discomfort of passengers?
Gaz

Don't rush to get out of the frying sun into the oven..!

Post by Gaz »

Coming back from London Bridge tonight wasn't too pretty either!

I think there was a fire or summat at/near the station as the roads were chocker around the station and the gates to Platforms 1-6 were sealed off.

I saw the massed crowds and that I had 2 minutes to get to the 1851 which was already running late; as I was hot just from merely getting to LB and didn't want to rush to the train just to cram in with the other sardines, I took a leisurely walk to the 1905 and got a seat at the back in this particular parked oven (all the windows were open but they ain't much good when it's stationary!).

Lo, the 1851 was then cancelled and I watched with incredulity at the sheer numbers of commuters literally running, huffing and puffing to squeeze onto my train - no wonder people faint and make themselves ill! Seriously, unless I really needed to get that train, I'd have waited the 15 odd minutes for the next one!

So, the moral to my story is: In this hot weather, take it easy and don't rush to cram yourself onto an already baking cattle-truck - it really isn't worth it! 8)
Barty

Re: Mobile Ovens

Post by Barty »

fishcox wrote:I catch the 0740 to London Bridge every morning; it is one of those new trains, with sealed windows and air con.

I've noticed that the air con isnt normally turned on until New Cross Gate - in fact, this morning it wasnt turned on at all.

Has anyone else noticed this? Are the train operators under instruction to save energy, to the discomfort of passengers?
Like every other company should be doing, Southern has set itself tough environmental targets to work towards. But I don't believe this would be to the detriment of passenger comfort.

Have you considered raising this point with Southern Customer Services as well as with us here on the forum?
Gaz wrote:I think there was a fire or summat at/near the station as the roads were chocker around the station and the gates to Platforms 1-6 were sealed off.
There was indeed a lineside fire between London Bridge and Charing Cross, which meant that Southern services were having to terminate at London Bridge. LB of course barely has enough capacity for terminating trains at peak times as it is, but the problem was further compounded by not one but two passengers being taken ill on the already crowded platforms.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Thanks for the info, Barty.

RE the people taken ill on the platforms - the possibility of people making themselves ill by rushing to cram into already packed and hot trains is what was annoying me the most.

I may sound callous here, but the last thing I want when aboard a train is for it to be cancelled because of someone collapsing because they've squeezed on and found it too hot to be standing.
Barty

Post by Barty »

I believe they were both heart related rather than heat related.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Probably some relationshio between the two, surely? (heat and heart)
Although I have the GP skills of a Dr. H Shipman, so don't take my word for it....

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Aboutus/Ministe ... DH_4135398
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Why can't the medical advice on "what to do in a heatwave" be "take the day off work and sit in the garden drinking lager"?
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Hi Barty

The train actually seemed much cooler this morning on the way in, but the next time I see one of those 'Meet the Managers' things at London Bridge, I will have a chat with them.