WHAT WAS HOUSE OF CURTAINS BEFORE IT WAS HOUSE OF CURTAINS

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
leenewham

WHAT WAS HOUSE OF CURTAINS BEFORE IT WAS HOUSE OF CURTAINS

Post by leenewham »

I Hope this makes sense!

It looks like it used to be a TSB bank due to the rather horrible cladding.

More importantly, has anyone (Steve? can you help?) got a picture of it in it's former glory?

All will be revealed in the next Whatif (which will be a little different than the norm and could have implications for all empty shops in the area).

I haven't done one in a while due to being busy with work and the home park designs.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Lee
lbere

Post by lbere »

It sure was a TSB, not sure what it was in between
Chris Doran

Post by Chris Doran »

If it's of interest, the 1972 Kelly's London directory has for No 56: Record Forum, gramophone record dealers.

(I could put the whole 1972 Sydenham Road page on the apposite thread, but I'm unsure whether copyright would permit that much?)
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

And...
regoneil

Re 56 Sydenham Road.

Post by regoneil »

In 1939, 56 was the address of Boots the chemist,
I remember the gramaphone emporium which was in that vicinity, possibly 56, which commenced business shortly after the war.
I went in to ask for a recording of "Coppelia" and the young assistant had to call the manasger for help and when I repeated my request, he asked;"what band does she sing with?".
I left and went into the nearby shop, run by Peggy Spencer and her brother who supplied me with the record I wanted!
Yes, Peggy Spencer of formation dancing fame.
Just one of the many celebraties from Sydenham.
regoneil

House of curtains

Post by regoneil »

Sorry. House of curtains would have been number 59, the record shop was near Boots and Spencers was next to Boots, I believe.
I thought it was an amusing story which I often have a chuckle when I hear the music.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

You're right, Reg. Boots was at 55 Sydenham Road (from about 1911), Spencers (a toy shop) was at 57.

59 Sydenham Road (present House of Curtains) was occupied by Broadley Bros (tailors) from 1902 to about 1908, then by Pickering & Gregory (house furnishers) from 1912 to 1937. By 1956 it was a fruiterers, Myers. The gaps would be easily filled in by going to local studies, but I don't have the time.

This is what it looked like in about 1905:
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Steve, you are a star.

I'd love to know why anyone in their right mind would get rid of a shop front like that out of choice. Anyone know when this was changed? It looked beautiful.

Anyway, thanks Steve, all will be revealed soon...
regoneil

post subject

Post by regoneil »

Steve's contribution to this subject is so helpful, the picture of 59 certainly brought back a few memories for me. I remember it, pre WW2 as selling linoleum and, outside, in Queensthorpe Road would be seen on most days, a costermongers barrow, laden with bananas and attended by a well loved gentleman called, "Banana Bob". He was part of the scene of the "Street" as it was comonly known.
By a sheer coincincidence, my late stepfather seriously concidered installing my step-brother and I into that establishment for when we came out of the RAF, after serving on Radar for a few years, to set up a wireless/ tv servicing business. But this did not materialise for one reason or another. (Clive, if you are reading this, I might be able to give you more info on this subject for your reaseach into the family tree).
I remember that block of shops leading up from Queensthorpe very well and can smell the coffee being roasted in the United Kingdom store even now.
Frank & Peggy Spencer not only gave us the only toy shop in the street, but also provided our demands for gramaphone records. They were very popular and also ran a dancing school in the Royston Hall in Penge.
Steve's offering of Kelly's directory in "Sydenham Road, Now and Then" has brought back many memories for me, especially the names of the shopkeepers, many of whom I knew very well.
I feel this thread should really be under the "Sydenham Rd. then & now".
cliveG

Post by cliveG »

Hi Reg, yes as always i am reading your posts with much interest. If you have any more facinating info regarding the family i would be most interested. Please feel free to PM me.