side gate at station open?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

any idea when it will be open?

havn't used syd station for ages.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Barty wrote:The vast majority of stations were built in a time when disabled people were treated as social outcasts.

That we now have a DDA is commendable, but a law can be devised much more quickly than the nation's Victorian railway station buildings can be upgraded.

Work is underway at many Southern stations to provide step-free access. Newer stations (Mitcham Eastfields, for example) had lifts installed when they were built.

Arrangements can be made for disabled travellers when they advise us of their plans.
Barty, we already had step-free access......now we don't.
Barty

Post by Barty »

And you will have it again when the works are completed......and in the meantime, arrangements are in place for those who need it.

As I said, it is easy to create a law with the swish of a pen (tapping of keys on a keyboard) but not so easy to magically improve the infrastructure needed to comply with it. The rail industry is by no means the only one targeted for criticism by disability campaigners. If you look at its competitors in the transport sector, they are no better.....how about trying to get a wheelchair on a National Express coach, or an airline?

Possible, no doubt, but requiring a little forward planning, no?
juniper

Post by juniper »

Emailed Southern to remind them the promised eight weeks had passed and received this reply:

"Having recently contacted the Station Manager, I can confirm that we are hoping to have this accessible for the week commencing July 20. It was meant to be a week earlier but complications arose with the new shelter."

We shall see....
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Thanks for the news Juniper.

I wasn't holding out much expectation of it being a 8 week project - since when has building work every run to schedule! :D
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Barty wrote:And you will have it again when the works are completed......and in the meantime, arrangements are in place for those who need it.

As I said, it is easy to create a law with the swish of a pen (tapping of keys on a keyboard) but not so easy to magically improve the infrastructure needed to comply with it. The rail industry is by no means the only one targeted for criticism by disability campaigners. If you look at its competitors in the transport sector, they are no better.....how about trying to get a wheelchair on a National Express coach, or an airline?

Possible, no doubt, but requiring a little forward planning, no?

But what was wrong with the arrangements before putting this structure in? What benefit does it bring? It is unnecessary and through it being built disabled people are receiving a 2nd class service...
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

The Germans will be running the London Overground service. A shame they didn't do this building.

If they can build and completely fit out a house in six days including delays from the english sub contractor (http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-tv/gr ... 4_p_1.html) then how can it take 12 weeks and counting to build a tiny shelter?

A week to excavate and put in the concrete slab. Another to build and fit surely? The mind boggles.

PP
Barty

Post by Barty »

bensonby wrote:But what was wrong with the arrangements before putting this structure in? What benefit does it bring? It is unnecessary and through it being built disabled people are receiving a 2nd class service...
The structure is not being placed there to benefit disabled people - it is being placed there to discourage fare evasion, thereby cutting down on the number of people travelling free and illegally on south London's rail network with the intention of committing crime or intimidating passengers, and thus improving passenger safety on the railways for everybody.

The issue of station access was raised, there was step-free access before the works were carried out, assistance can be provided to those who need it whilst work is being carried out, step-free access will return once work is finished.
Paddy Pantsdown wrote:then how can it take 12 weeks and counting to build a tiny shelter?
Have you lost count of weeks PP? Closed on Tues 5th May (a day after Mum's birthday and 2 days after Mrs Barty's, so I remember the date) today is 6th July, the end of the 9th week. And it'll be open in another two.
Last edited by Barty on 6 Jul 2009 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Paddy Pantsdown wrote:The Germans will be running the London
A week to excavate and put in the concrete slab. Another to build and fit surely? The mind boggles.

PP
why take the planned time when you can spend double the time and get paid twice as much? :wink:
Barty

Post by Barty »

bensonby wrote:... spend double the time and get paid twice as much? :wink:
Really, gentlemen, exaggeration doesn't look good!!! :lol:
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Barty wrote:
Paddy Pantsdown wrote:then how can it take 12 weeks and counting to build a tiny shelter?
Have you lost count of weeks PP? Closed on Tues 5th May (a day after Mum's birthday and 2 days after Mrs Barty's, so I remember the date) today is 6th July, the end of the 9th week. And it'll be open in another two.
Were you in charge of scheduling? Read what Southern said. It is scheduled to be open the week commencing 20th July - not 20th July. So unless they open early they will have disrupted 12 consecutive weeks.

SR were aware of the disruption and should have done the work quickly. Instead they have left it untouched for most of the time while we have had to struggle across the bridge. A sore example of very visible management incompetence unless they found a WW2 bomb and are keeping very quiet.

In WW2 they could build, complete and launch a 15,000 ton Liberty ship in 42 days - half the time!

PP
Barty

Post by Barty »

PP are we really quibbling over a few days?

If it gets to the END of week commencing 20th July then we are on twelve weeks and counting.

We aren't NOW

Is it worth continuing to defend Southern on this forum any longer? All the early morning trains are cancelled every day. Disabled people have no way to access Platform 1...........

Beginning to have had enough now.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Barty wrote: Is it worth continuing to defend Southern on this forum any longer? All the early morning trains are cancelled every day. Disabled people have no way to access Platform 1...........

Beginning to have had enough now.
Barty, you should know that your insights and comments are very much appreciated. However, please understand that some posters may find a level of catharticism by posting here knowing that someone from Southern (even if he is nothing to do with the gripe) is reading the grievance - and perhaps passing some comments on.

For example, I know that you cannot affect the closure of the sidegate but I want to tell someone/everyone that I am so incredibly frustrated by its closure. It makes me depressed and considering using an alternative route in to work in the mornings as I am thoroughly fed up of traipsing over the bridge in the sweltering heat, looking down and seeing no workmen on site and passing the sign saying it would be completed in 8 weeks - with no update or apology for the late-running. It's inconveniences and things like this which make us fare-paying customers get increasingly het up about the poor levels of service offered by Southern whilst safe in the knowledge that fares are always going up. Unfortunately, I also have zero confidence that when the works are complete there won't be further problems - like those issues faced by Forest Hill commuters before they kicked up a stink.

As said, this isn't a go at you or an expectation that anything will change/happen - it just feels good to know that at least one Southern employee reads our quite legitimite concerns and problems.

Ah, cathartic posting that one! 8)
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Barty
I'd like to add that it really is refreshing to see the commitment you have to your employer and your job. It's very obvious that you see yourself as a public servant and your attempts to try improve everyone's lot by keeping people informed on here is heartening and encouraging
One of the reasons we chose the area in which to live is the frequency of the mostly excellent rail links. There are of course good and bad days/ weeks, but generally, I find the service very good
Thanks and keep up the good work
MF
Barty

Post by Barty »

Sorry, peeps.

Once in a while the dummy gets spat out the pram :lol:

For what it's worth. I'd like to add that if anyone says they're gonna take 8 weeks to do something, it should be done in 8 weeks!

Thanks MiniFox and Gaz for your comments.

And to all the Southern-haters, don't worry, in two months LOROL will be running Syd station and you can all moan at them instead :lol: :lol: :lol:
Barty

Post by Barty »

The platform one side gate will reopen tomorrow morning!!!
fat_mike

Post by fat_mike »

are you sure? just looked like a glorified bus shelter this morning, with no ticket barriers or machines.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

The roller-shutter thing wasn't wired in this morning? :?
Barty

Post by Barty »

Shutter will be wired up after close of service tonight. The power supply to the station will need to be switched off so it had to be done after the last train.

Ticket gates will be installed in the next 3-4 weeks.
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

Still closed this morning