The Woodman

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

Just got back myself

Oh dear oh dear oh dear :( :( :(

Seen all I need to see, I would have loved to been wrong but its a case of I told you so

It will be worse than when Lou had the place.
MERVYN

Post by MERVYN »

the woodman is now has new owner.welcome back old and new costomers.we start sunday lunch from sunday 28th june.please book 02086999988 free wifi.mervyn.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

What beers are do you have on?
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

Dj's , dats wikkid bruv, innit !

"There is only one ex-member of staff been taken on ". yup I was wrong on that one , that was based on a description that fitted another ex staffer I was given.

"she like me agrees the Funky House/Hip Hop/R&B route would be unsuitable."
I take it she is still entertainment manager then.
Has she told you how mant times people complained about the music she decided we would all like to hear ?, no didnt think so

a phrase with the words wind whichever way & blowing springs to mind

"I djed in the Woodman before when Lou had it "

And I recall a couple of occasions most of us left(might not have been you). It was a typical self indulgent Dj, that thinks music has to be played at eardrum bursting levels, and spends all night f%^&*ng around twiddling knobs that make no discernible difference to anything except in his own mind.

Like you I've had conversations with her in the past and I know exactly what she wanted to make the pub, it was pretty damn obvious.

"her music and mob" still stands.

I wish you all the best in your new venture, giving The Woodman the music you think it wants !

I rest my case
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

GB and others, i know that we all have had our gripes about previous incarnations of the Woodman.

Perhaps we can become a bit more positive and suggest things that Mervyn could do to entice customers in.

Things that would entice me are:

Sunday roast dinners
live Jazz afternnoons/evenings (or indeed any live musicians of reasonable quality). Something soothing that enhances the atmosphere.
Beer (not lager) on tap, or at least in bottled format.
A good menu at fair prices.
A corner of the pub for the odd Sky Sport football game?

Personally, I dislike overpowering music that destroys conversation and a large Sky sports screen that dominates a pub. However, I think Mervyn will go with the democratic vote on this, so please post your suggestions, or email him direct. He is a top bloke , so please give him a chance to make some thing of this pub. It will be for all our benefits to do so.
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

Sunday dinners are back on, but Dj's, I have no time for them, total waste of time
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Great Bustard wrote:Sunday dinners are back on, but Dj's, I have no time for them, total waste of time
spot on

There are very successful pubs in the area that use slightly different business models to distinguish them. I doubt (and please feel free to disagree or prove me wrong) that a DJ and hip-hop music would be part of a successful plan. There are clubs in the area/city that do that, a pub is something completely different, in my opinion
Last edited by ALIB on 8 Jul 2009 09:15, edited 2 times in total.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Do you sell real ale? My other-half won't deign to visit otherwise. If you're going to put on a decent Sunday roast then that'll help too.

I generally agree with ALIB's list. Plus – a pub quiz would be good and might entice a few of my Forest Hill friends.
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

"As for knob twiddling shows your ignorance " , its based on observation not theory

"if you dont like music, then you dont like music. " oh the irony !!! if only you knew.

"It doesnt have to be every night either " just as well really

Its pretty obvious that you and the entertainment manager intend turning the place into what you think it should be.

dj's dontcha just luv 'em
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Dom, i hope to have a pint with you sometime soon. I am a 6ft white male, mostly bald with an obese figure. I'm known to Neil the Scot and Mervyn. I am mostly dragged to the Woodman by my pug dog. (that's the excuse I give the wife)

I'm sure Mervyn would appreciate some ideas, though I hope he has a few of his own.

And i hope to see other posters in there soon. Perhaps throwing out some suggestions over a beer or two would be good.

Remember the STF social is this Friday, Starting inThe Hob and Ending in the Woodman. Perhaps a good opportunity to have a natter. By the time we get to the Woodman, we may actually agreee on something?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Juwlz wrote:Do you sell real ale? My other-half won't deign to visit otherwise.
I popped in on my way home from work the other day and they were serving London Pride. The label on the pump was turned around for some reason though (perhaps the barrels had only just been changed?).

Dunno if they have any more on draft or whether there are plans for having a bigger selection of ales?
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Must pop in there sometime --- when my body armour arrives.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Some friends and I had a very enjoyable evening eating, drinking and talking at the Woodman yesterday - not many customers, pleasant service, unobtrusive recorded music, good value food. No wines by the bottle yet (by the glass only - the Stowells referred to in an earlier post, I guess) and they don't yet take credit cards, but we were assured these were both on their way.
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Brilliant that the Woodman has re-opened and that Sydenham is managing to hang on to most of its pubs! The Windmill laid on a terrific evening of Indian music & dance (with a buffet run by Gurkha's) as part of the Sydenham Arts Festival, and there have been great, well-attended events at the Golden Lion and the Dolphin. There is definitely a pub-going clientele out there for the Woodman to attract - as Alib & Juwlz say, Sunday roasts and a regular quiz are a real attraction! But please go easy on the music (especially given that the Woodman is an open plan space). In some pubs it's as though the music is being played for the staff rather than the customers! In these recession-hit times, good customer-service is vital.