Forest Hill Pools consultation

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Having sat so firmly on the fence that I ended up with splinters in my bottom, I eventually saw the light and realised that swimming must be kept in Dartmouth road on the original site.

I signed the 'keep swimming in Forest Hill' petition and I completed the survey indicating the same.

I disagree with you Gaz about your comments about the seemingly skewed online voting.
All methods of collecting data are not equal and will tend to produce different outcomes, even sometimes from exactly the same group of people.

At the risk of causing offence – I think people with internet access (who might be more likely to do the survey online) might be a bit more well-informed. They have access to more information more of the time so it follows they'd be familiar with the arguments against moving swimming to Willow Way and therefore are more likely to vote that way.

Maybe you should be asking why did the telephone votes lean towards Willow Way? How were the questions phrased etc.

I started filling out the paper version of the form, but I am crap at filling out forms and so when I ran out of tippex I had to resort to filling out the online version.

I noticed that the online version wasn't exactly the same as the paper version. And by its very nature the telephone version wouldn't have been the same either. When you ask someone questions on the phone you don't have the same time for reflection as you do when you are either fillling out a paper or online form.

The overall results of the survey are pretty much what you'd expect when people are forced between a rock and a hard place.
Tim Walder

Post by Tim Walder »

I am making this post as a spokesperson for the Keep Swimming in Forest Hill campaign, who presented the Council with a petition of 5,861 names in support of retaining the pools in Dartmouth Road.

THE IMPORTANT POINT IS THAT THE COUNCIL HAVE PRODUCED A NEW "OPTION 3". This is to build new pools on the Dartmouth Road site starting immediately. This has become possible because the Council's budget appears to be currently underspent and about £3 million extra can be found (if the Mayor so decides).

This is potentially what we have been campaigning for all along and may mean that the right decisions, capable of being supported by most people in the Forest Hill area, are now being taken. What we need to do is make sure that this right decision is taken. The Mayor and Cabinet meet to decide the issue at the Civic Suite, Lewisham Town Hall, Catford Broadway, Catford on Wednesday 15th July starting at 6pm. KSFH and its supporters will be meeting at 5.45pm on the steps to the Civic Suite. PLEASE COME TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR NEW "OPTION 3". Your can also email the Mayor at steve.bullock@lewisham.gov.uk

KSFH welcomes this apparent change of heart (if it happens). Obviously we will need to keep an eye on a couple of issues as we move forward. Will the pools frontage block be retained in any new scheme? Will the new scheme be the generally well received Allies and Morrison design? If not, will the pools be of good design and retain and introduce elements and facilities which local people want?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Tim,
On the face of it, this is good news. However, can you clarrify (if possible) something for me ?

I was under the impression that re-development of the current site on Dartmouth Road was subject to the findings of additional investigations into potential problems caused by the the leaking pools.

Does anyone have any information on this, or am i completely wrong ?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I think sir steve looked under his mattress and suddenly found 3 million quid.

That should pay for a few more meetings.

Seriously, this sounds on the face o fit like really good news. Fingers crossed. Well done Tim.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

This Option 3 is amazing, brilliant news, fingers crossed our mayor goes for it!
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

He has, Option 3 it is.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Steve Grindlay wrote:He has, Option 3 it is.
YAAAAAAYYYYY! Well done everyone for the campaigning and well done to Steve Bullock for making the right decision.
Tim Walder

Post by Tim Walder »

I thought people might be interested in this, which is the main part of an email I received today from Sir Steve Bullock, the Mayor of Lewisham.

"I am pleased to inform you that I have given the go ahead for a new swimming pool to be built on the old Dartmouth Road site incorporating the existing front of the building into the design.

In recent weeks there have been significant changes to the amount of money that the Council has available for major building projects, including an allocation of £5.5 million from the Government. Given this, I ordered a thorough review of commitments which has released the additional funds that has allowed me to secure the future of swimming in Forest Hill.

All along, my focus has been to have swimming in this area as soon as possible. Once it became clear in the past few weeks that we could build this new pool and keep the frontage, I knew this would be the best decision to make for everyone who lives in this area. I'm pleased that we are able to go ahead with the new building projects elsewhere in the borough AND the swimming pool - this is great news for Lewisham.

I have instructed Council officers to begin work immediately so that the project to bring swimming back to Forest Hill will be completed as soon as possible.

No doubt you'll be aware that I've received a huge amount of correspondence on this issue, and I've listened to the strong opinions raised in the consultation process. I am confident that the decision I've taken will ensure the return of swimming to Forest Hill in an affordable manner and as quickly as possible."
VickyMill

Post by VickyMill »

I can understand why people don't get why we would want to save the pool - if there were loads of Victorian style pools around, then I'd be all for a new one.

But, there aren't. This is cultural heritage. That is like saying we should pull down the Orpington Roman Villa to make room for more car parking space at the train station there. It may be expensive to restore the pools, but that is the councils fault for running it into the ground. It is also their fault, as they should've just got on with it and paid more cash when they knew they'd lock horns with those opposed to a new build.

I would hate to see it being ripped down and replaced by the type of ugly structures which now contain pools, e.g. the Bridge, or West Wickham Pools.