loop line to clapham junction

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
bobmcbob

loop line to clapham junction

Post by bobmcbob »

Do trains runs via crystal palace to clapham junction in the early morning (7-8am ish)?

I'm going to have to start commuting to hampshire and would like to know if there's a direct train to Clapham junction? Or willl I have to walk to crystal palace? or change trains again.

Thanks

Bob
Last edited by bobmcbob on 24 Jul 2009 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Where in Hampshire do you have to get to, Bob?

I always go via East Croydon or Waterloo rather than do a Clapham change (not all trains stop at Clapham on the way down to the coast).
bobmcbob

Post by bobmcbob »

Basingstoke and Winchester mainly. Sometimes Southampton.

Thanks,

Bob
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Ah sorry I can't be of more help - they're on the 'other' Hampshire line! :shock:

I know that the Portsmouth trains from Waterloo don't all stop at Clapham and that if I were to go from Syd via Clapham it would sometimes involve changing at East Croydon and Woking.

It'll be more expensive if you do go via Waterloo, but may well be quicker and more straightforward...

(Off to Basingstoke tomorrow as it happens - 45 mins from W'loo! :D )
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

they dont run at that time unfortunately....
Barty

Post by Barty »

bensonby wrote:they dont run at that time unfortunately....
....but I believe they will start doing when the new Southern franchise starts in early September.
bobmcbob

Post by bobmcbob »

Thanks for the replies. Good to see there will be a service come September, i'm a little surprised that there isn't one already - don't people commute east west in the morning?

Thanks,
Bob
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

bobmcbob wrote:Thanks for the replies. Good to see there will be a service come September, i'm a little surprised that there isn't one already - don't people commute east west in the morning?

Thanks,
Bob
it's not that, it's to do with congestion on the lines when all the extra peak-time services are running.
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

When i moved to Sydenham 5 years ago, i used to still work in Hammersmith, which was convenient from my previous station Gypsy Hill as i could change at Clapham Junction and get the Olympia line through to Willesden Junction. However from Sydenham in the morning no through trains existed before 9am. However, i used to just get a bus (202 or 122) from Sydenham up to the Parade and walk down the hill to Gypsy Hill station. its about 6-8 mins by bus and a 10 minute walk...the only problem is waiting for the bus but they are normally pretty frequent. Or if you have a car, drive there as there are always loads of spaces on the adjoining roads to park.