New shop on Kirkdale

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
GillM

Post by GillM »

Sorry my above post was not meant to come across as agressive!!! LOL
leaf

Post by leaf »

GillM wrote:That actually wasn't the point as to whether its common practice! The point is there must be at least 10 barbers in the high street already, thats why so many of them are advertising chairs to rent!!!
It may not have been your point but the fact that it is common practice explains it.
leaf

Post by leaf »

GillM wrote:Sorry my above post was not meant to come across as agressive!!! LOL
oh ok :lol: ...in that case neither was mine......ahem
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I totally agree with GillM.

Somehow people complain that Sainbury's has killed the high street, yet we seemingly can support 10 shops that all do exactly the same thing!

Surely buying food is more important that getting your barnet cut!
Janeco

Re: new shop

Post by Janeco »

As we have lost Provender it would be really nice to have a deli/cafe type place. Good bread would be nice and perhaps also selling good/interesting kitchen stuff à la Habitat. There's a range at Sainsbury's but I was thinking more along the lines of the kitchen shop in Blackheath. Interesting gifts good too. However, any new shop would be welcome. Good luck
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Somethign like this woudl be great:
http://beunpackaged.com/

Images of shop inside like this:
http://noisydecentgraphics.typepad.com/ ... -visi.html

They sell products without any packaging (and as a branding and packaging designer I think it's a brilliant idea). Some people call the concept weigh and save.

It looks incredible. You bring your own containers and fill them up. Simple.
nomie44

Re: new shop

Post by nomie44 »

If you could squeeze in some kids' clothes that would be great - at the moment we're limited to Sainsburys (which admittedly has a pretty good choice) or mini gangsta-rapper styleez. Properly fitted kids shoes would be another choice for me.
shopgirl

New shop on Kirkdale

Post by shopgirl »

Hello everyone

I just wanted to say many thanks for all of your useful suggestions - I will do my very best to take them on board. I've signed the lease now, but need to do a fair bit of work on the premises before opening. Anyhow, I'm hoping it won't take too long, and will be back with an update soon. It's 148 Kirkdale, by the way, and while there will be some lovely handwoven rugs, runners and throws, there will be plenty of nice new surprises, too!

Thanks again - oh, and if anyone knows a good source of reclaimed wooden shelving, a talented sign-painter or a reasonably-priced electrician, please give me a shout!
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Good luck with your venture shopgirl!

If you want an electrician, we've used Michael Rolle (ph 07821 161715) for a few bits at home. He's really local, ie just down the road, and I found him to charge very reasonable prices and be very helpful.
dickp

Post by dickp »

So've we. He's good.

Who on earth will you get to do your sign frontage, I wonder :roll: ?
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

What if.....?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Perhaps...we shall see. ;-)
shopgirl

New shop on Kirkdale

Post by shopgirl »

Hello again!
Well, I'm opening the door on Friday - it's just a 'soft' opening for now - there's plenty more still to do - but do pop in and say hello anytime. It's homeware, reclaimed objects, olive oil, mountain honey, art, crafts and gifts mostly with a Spanish twist, but strangely a lot of the non-Spanish stuff seems to have a Spanish connection anyhow, including a potential line of soft children's toys made by a local Spanish lady! There's a 'secret garden' tearoom at the back as well - just serving tea/coffee/hot chocolate and homemade cake for now. It's going to be called 'Alhambra' - after the beautiful Moorish palace and gardens in Granada, Spain. Keep telling me what you would like to see there, and I'll do my best to oblige. Thanks! Becca
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

It sounds fantastic. I will certainly drop by as soon as possible. Best of luck!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Sounds great.

Did you find your signwriter? If not let me know, I know a few good ones.
Frangipan

Post by Frangipan »

Sounds lovely - what are your weekend opening hours?
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Sounds great! And you mentioned the magic word... "cake"... I'll definitely be popping in soon :D
shopgirl

New shop on Kirkdale

Post by shopgirl »

Hello Frangipan and all
Weekend opening hours, probably just Sat for now - 10am-6pm. In the week, I'm planning to start off doing 9am - 7pm ish, to see when is the busiest time. Monday afternoons may be a bit tricky for me, but I'm hoping to get cover if I can't be there myself... and once it's all sorted I will post my opening hours on the door. I've got a few cold drinks in for the tearoom, too...
Hope to see you soon!
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i walked past this afternoon and the shop looks really good. I won't be able to make it in before this Saturday, but if anyone wants to give a review in the meantime, then go for it.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Well i managed to pop in there earlier this afternoon and i must say it is very much welcomed on Kirkdale.
Tasteful decor, quality products at fair prices a very pleasant tea room at the back with a secluded garden area for sunny days.

The wife wanted to drop in this weekend, but I'm thinking I'll have to hide her credit card first.

And an imaginative owner who has many ideas, but is also welcoming of positive feedback.

Well done Shopgirl