Butcher closed down?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Maybe if it got a new shop front and reopened in Dulwich, Beckenham or Crystal Palace it wouldn't be considered so inconvenient.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

there is a hint of irony that William Rose, conversely, have recently opened another shop and they source their meat from the same suppliers as Sargents/Home Park butchers used to.

WR seems to have the market sussed

http://www.williamrosebutchers.com/
Cllr John Getgood

Post by Cllr John Getgood »

scott.l.hamilton wrote:Sorry John, respect your posts, but too much of a " sorry your shop closed, come here instead" vibe. Glib is bad...

A bit condescending....
Sorry if you read it that way. We always used Mr Sargent as it was nearer to where we live. But if the shop is gone, the information about Murray's might be useful to people living on that side of the area. Real butchers are difficult to find. In the interest of balance, I should also add that the butcher in Maple Road also provides good meat. No need for everyone to rush to the supermarket.

Cllr John Getgood
lbere

Post by lbere »

Nork1

'... ... ... nail .. ... head'
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

nork1 wrote:Maybe if it got a new shop front and reopened in Dulwich, Beckenham or Crystal Palace it wouldn't be considered so inconvenient.
I understand the sentiment nork1 but I do wonder if it would. I have recently been to both Upper Norwood and Beckenham. I have to say 2 parts of the 'Westow Triangle' are in a truly sorry state. Much worse than even our own High St (run down businesses/empty premises/general disrepair). Same for Beckenham High St...for every smart shop there's a blight pretty much next to it. I'm certainly not holding up Sydenham Road as anything to be proud of but you get the gist?

Dulwich Village, yeah, it would've worked but we'd be charged £15 for 10 chipolatas.

Murray Brothers you say John? Thanks for the heads up. I am looking for a bit of variety. I'm all too reliant on Waitrose and the odd bit from Wellbeing [though pre-packed] on our own High St. Might have to head over to Penge on a recce.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

ALIB wrote:there is a hint of irony that William Rose, conversely, have recently opened another shop and they source their meat from the same suppliers as Sargents/Home Park butchers used to.

WR seems to have the market sussed

http://www.williamrosebutchers.com/
It looks good. Clean. A proper butchers. Is this the one often seen with a huge queue outside in Lordship lane?

Obviously this has raised a lot of debate. People generally don't like to walk from one end of the high street to get some meat, walk to the other to get some fruit, walk across a busy road to get some veg etc etc. That's shy Lordship lane does well, or Northcote road. Everything is grouped together. It's easy. It's nice. That's why supermarkets do well. They make shopping easier. That's why I used to go to deptford high street. Even though it was a bit grotty, you had great choice, from fishmongers to butchers. Loads of them.

If the butcher got it's meat from the same place as William Rose, they really were doing themselves a disservice by not making themselves look as good as them. A small investment could have paid huge dividends. Food and presentation are incredibly important. And I truely believe it would have worked here in Sydenham. I lived here for almost a year before I had even heard of this place!
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

Interestingly (and only on a slight tangent), the family who run William Rose lived in Sydenham for over a decade and only moved out fairly recently. So it's not as though the "old guard" is oblivious to what makes a decent shop.
norwich_girl

Post by norwich_girl »

John's right, Murray Brothers IS an excellent butchers and they're really very friendly - going there makes the saturday morning shopping almost a pleasure! :D
pocketpip

Post by pocketpip »

oh no, such a shame that they have gone! the meat was excellent quality and great value- I was going to go this weekend to see if they had any venison in. Such a shame, i can't bear Sainsburys and don't want to be ripped off at William Rose. Will have to try the one in Penge.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Apparently they used to live in my road. They moved their shop from the Vauxhall area or something. If only they could be persuaded to open up another branch here! Now we don't have one at all!
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I think we'd best get Admin to pull down this thread if we did try and do that poppy? After all, we hardly have a good record in this area with the last butchers, do we? I've also a funny feeling when I first moved here there was a butchers next to the Natwest? Might have been a fishmongers...at any rate it shut down. This was in 2001-ish

I know we can maybe blame the demise of the 'Home Park' butchers on it's presentation and for some the area it was in (too far according to some reports, didn't know it was there for others) but this is a great example of a good product being undone by poor advertising and presentation.

It wouldn't have taken much for a simple website or a bit of local leafleting to let us know he [?] sourced his meat from the same place as William Rose and I'd have been down there like a shot. Word-of-mouth has it's limits, as we've seen.
Elderton Elf

Post by Elderton Elf »

Hi
I walked past the butchers today and they have put a sign in the window saying that they are sorry they closed so abruptly but this was due to failed rent renegotiations with the landlord and they hope to open up in the local area in new premises soon.
Very relieved as I was a regular every Saturday even though I almost always had to queue.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I'm sure this butcher closed down And re-opened some yeArs ago after a rent dispute... Hopefully it does it's Phoenix once more.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Like all game...the phoenix must hang for a while...