Consultation on change of name for the Naborhood Centre

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Chris Best

Consultation on change of name for the Naborhood Centre

Post by Chris Best »

There are several threads on the Naborhood Centre and we will be taking a vote at the next Sydenham Assembly meeting on Thursday 3 December on a change of name. I am currently asking the users of the building their views and welcome your thoughts.

The building was named Naborhood to retain part of the Sydenham heritage in that a cinema previously occupied the site. Our local historian Steve Grindlay has posted that "Naborhood" was the name of a cinema, opened in 1910 as the Queen's Hall. It was re-named several times, finally to the Naborhood Cinema in 1939. It closed in 1943 after bomb damage and was demolished in 1953 to make way for the present building. It seems that "Naborhood Cinema" was actually a generic name given by a small company (Monk's Circuit Cinemas) to a group of cinemas that they acquired, probably in the late 1930s. The choice of spelling was probably because the parent company felt, given Hollywood's influence on film at the time, it sounded more 'modern'.

One suggestion is to change the name to the Sydenham Centre so what do you think?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Whilst I think it's a shame to lose a such a locally inspired name, I support renaming the Naborhood Centre to something more relevant.

I'd like the name to reflect what the Centre is all about; and so while the 'Sydenham Centre' is nice and clean - and does work - perhaps there should be additional describing word there:

Sydenham Neighbourhood Centre
Continuity, local feel and links with the Naborhood name.

The Sydenham Peoples' Centre
Has more of a stakeholder feel to local residents.

Sydenham Community Centre
Describes its function well (but is a bit bland).

Personally, I'd slightly favour "Sydenham Neighbourhood Centre" with Peoples' a very close 2nd.
tulip1

Post by tulip1 »

I would prefer "The Sydenham Centre" - memorable, apt and to the point. I feel any other name would end up locally being called "The Sydenham Centre" anyway. That has my vote, Chris.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

"people's centre" does sound rather communist....

how about naming after a local character?

The ALIB institute
has a nice ring to it...
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Gaz wrote:Whilst I think it's a shame to lose a such a locally inspired name, I support renaming the Naborhood Centre to something more relevant.

I'd like the name to reflect what the Centre is all about; and so while the 'Sydenham Centre' is nice and clean - and does work - perhaps there should be additional describing word there:

Personally, I'd slightly favour "Sydenham Neighbourhood Centre" with Peoples' a very close 2nd.
So all you're actually suggesting is the addition of the word 'Sydenham', which is just stating the bleeding obvious, and changing the spelling of 'naborhood'; what's the point of changing it, you aren't conveying a message that's any different to the current name?

In fact, I would ask the Sydenham assembly why they are even bothering to discuss this, haven't they got anything better to do than talk about meaningless name changes?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Rebelmc wrote:
Gaz wrote:Whilst I think it's a shame to lose a such a locally inspired name, I support renaming the Naborhood Centre to something more relevant.

So all you're actually suggesting is the addition of the word 'Sydenham', which is just stating the bleeding obvious, and changing the spelling of 'naborhood'; what's the point of changing it, you aren't conveying a message that's any different to the current name?

In fact, I would ask the Sydenham assembly why they are even bothering to discuss this, haven't they got anything better to do than talk about meaningless name changes?
Actually I was responding to Chris Best's request to comment on the proposed name change. If someone said to me 'Nar-bor-hood Centre' or I saw it written I'm not sure I'd realise what it was so I don't think this is a meaningless discussion.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Gaz wrote: Actually I was responding to Chris Best's request to comment on the proposed name change. If someone said to me 'Nar-bor-hood Centre' or I saw it written I'm not sure I'd realise what it was so I don't think this is a meaningless discussion.
Sorry, I was coming at it from the angle that I have never understood why anyone pronounces the name of the building as anything other than 'neighbourhood', it's always seemed obvious to me that that's how it should be pronounced; although, having said that, I am a bit of an Art Deco fiend, so streamlining everything, including spelling, appeals to me.

I'm still at a loss as to why the Sydenham assembly consider this to be such a high priority; giving it a different name is the least of it's problems, making it look a bit more appealing should be higher on the list (and not by backing some cockamamie scheme to put a mosaic on the front of it).

Perhaps they should start by explaining just exactly what services the Naborhood Centre provides, to which members of the community; I've been a resident for 36 years and the nearest I've got to the place, is going into the post office next door.

People might be better able to judge what it should be called, if they knew what goes on in there.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Given that, according to Cllr Best, the building only actually functioned as a 'Naborhood' cinema for four years (1939-43), I'd have thought the argument for retaining Naborhood/Neighbourhood in the name on grounds of 'tradition' was a bit thin. Why not go back a bit further and call it the Queen's Hall? (Only joking).

I share rebelmc's irritation with the pronunciation 'Nabberhood' or 'Narberhood' which must be wrong. Save the traditional English long A! ('Ey' not 'ah'.) Cf modern mispronunciations of 'Clara', 'Georgiana', 'Baal', 'Aaron', 'Iranian'. Even the Americans get 'tomato' right.
leenewham

Re: Consultation on change of name for the Naborhood Centre

Post by leenewham »

Chris Best wrote: One suggestion is to change the name to the Sydenham Centre so what do you think?
That's fine. It will probably become known to some as the SC or the syd-centre or similar as people love to abbreviate (as in The Syd-Soc).

Any of the suggestions is fine. I don't think it's that important.

Will this mean new signage?

Hmm, what if it stayed as the naborhood centre and there was a bit of text (possibly written by Steve Grindley) about the history of the site, people and the name for passers by? Like a local blue plaque but with a historical twist, and more text?
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Personally I don't care what name is chosen, as long as the spelling is correct. I'm much more concerned about giving the place a spring clean and a lick of paint.
pip

Post by pip »

my vote would be for THE MORRISON CENTRE.
In recognition of their huge contribution to the local area. Not only for laying the new Gas main but also making Sydenham Road less car friendly and more pedestrian friendly all in one go, what an achievement.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Another thought.

Is there anyone of note (Steve may be able to help here) that deserves to be Honoured by having the centre named after them?

Theophilus William Williams Centre?
The John Logie Baird Centre?
The Shackleton Centre?
WG Grace centre?
Sir George Groves Centre?
The Rolf Harris Centre?
The Pat Trembath Centre?

Could be from past or present.

How about running it as a competition?
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Good idea, leenewham.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Or even the SYDENHAM TOWN CENTRE :wink:
Lee - there is even an existing logo which is easy to mosaic ...

Admin (who still winces at that image)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I thought it said STD when I first saw it...

Perhaps it is how my mind works!
pip

Post by pip »

If thats so Lee, How about THE KELLY BROOKE CENTRE
michael

Post by michael »

I don't think it should be named after somebody local. It shouuld be more descriptive of the building and the community.
I was thinking of the Best People's Centre. :twisted:
Wispy Wonder

Post by Wispy Wonder »

In recognition of those who seem to use the building most (if lurking, drinking and peeing outside could be classed as such) how about Tramp Plaza?

As odd as the current name is, that's the least of this buildings problems.
parklife

Post by parklife »

I think "THE KELLY BROOKE CENTRE" is a great idea and it would surely be 'standing room only ' for such a grand opening :P any one else agree ???
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I think that the name should be changed because the current name is stupid and always seems to need a big explanation everytime it's mentioned.

I quite like Gaz's suggestion of 'Sydenham Neighbourhood Centre'. SNC for short.