WHAT IF: no1 THE NABOURHOOD CENTRE

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Cheers.

By the way, the walk from Cobbs Corner to Home Park need not be so awful.

You could go the 'back way' ...via Mayow Park etc...If you have the time.

You may consider, during your stroll, enjoying such environmental enhancements as ...being sworn at by the screaming lunatic parakeets, you could play 'spot the other bird species' [and there are plenty of them.] and coo at the odd scraggy urban fox... the possibilities are [not quite] endless.

At the end of it all you could visit Sydenham Library and contemplate the planned improvements to Home Park, supping from your well-deserved can of Special Brew whilst reposing on the thoughtfully sited benches just off the road.
Pip, Pip!!
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

As part of the pro-improvements campaign, I've contacted several people at the council, one of whom is our Town Centre Manager, Julie Sutch. I've asked her how securing the go-ahead for the plans would affect her strategy and approach when managing Sydenham "town centre". I haven't heard back yet, but will let you know when I do. Those of you in Lower Sydenham might also want to contact her to see how her vision for that particular part of town compares with yours.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I hoe you have better luck than me!

I've contacted Julie Sutch quite a few times and never received a response. She is very busy apparently.
simon

Post by simon »

Seconded Lee, must be very, very busy.
tulip1

Post by tulip1 »

Does Julie Sutch exist - is she a real living person/official who works for lewisham as I have read posts about her role several times and it seems that no-one has caught sight of her or received responses from her - strange??

I think the re-vamp works throughout the high street will eventually benefit us all, and hopefully TFL will commit to a a second phase of work that will continue the improvements all the way down the high street passing the lovely Home Park (in need of TLC I agree) and delightful Sydenham Library.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Trawlerman: 'Honestly...Some people...[sigh] '

You call that levity Trawlerman?!

Maybe you should consider introducing some to your posts. ;)
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Chill, Poppy.
Its only an attempt...Unsuccessful No offence meant...And I hope none taken.
Check my last post.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Lee, I know you are very busy man, but have you considered one for Gurkhas. They do a roaring trade but it could look so much better inside and out. I noticed a Nepalese restaurant in CP which looked very stylish.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

poppy wrote:Lee, I know you are very busy man, but have you considered one for Gurkhas. They do a roaring trade but it could look so much better inside and out. I noticed a Nepalese restaurant in CP which looked very stylish.
Gurkhas turns away tens of people on a weekend; the appearance of the restaurant does no harm to their business, because they serve a damn good curry. Let's face it, compared to most other businesses on Sydenham Road, Gurkhas looks good. Looking at this from a purely business perspective, there would be no benefit from this additional cost; what they could really do with are larger premises to satisfy the demand for their product.

I'd like to encourage forum users to be a bit more wary of cheesing off successful local business owners simply because their current decor isn't bang up-to-date. My hunch is that approaching them privately with any suggestions you have is likely to be more effective and better-received than publicly displaying images of how one thinks their shopfront should look. That's not to denigrate the various ideas and designs posted on the forum; personally, I like most of them.

The unsuccessful basket cases with both terrible-looking premises and an unwated product should eventually go out of business, thanks to capitalism.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Sorry this is a bit (a lot) off topic but my interest is always aroused by the mention of curry!

Is Gurkhas really that good? I've had a few deliveries from them and not been impressed. They were very 'soupy' with dry chicken and tasted a bit too much like tomato puree.

I sometimes wonder if places have different kitchens for eat in and takeaway customers.

I don't rate the curry house deliveries around Sydenham which is a shame because I could be putting quite a lot of money their way if they just deliver me decent food!

I've found the Dewanium in Forest Hill most consistent.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Chazza wrote:
poppy wrote:
I'd like to encourage forum users to be a bit more wary of cheesing off successful local business owners simply because their current decor isn't bang up-to-date.
I think it's more important to help raise the standard from the bottom upwards, but I see nothing wrong with someone having an opinion which may improve their business.

Of course it depends on how it is said.

Tratorria are a prime example of a local business that has improved by listening to their customers. Comments in here and at the restaurant have taken feedback on board and made their business even stronger. The lighting is better, the candles in the window make it feel far more inviting, the planting has made Tratorria look far more attractive.

Any business ignores their customers at their peril.

Personally I love Gurkhas, but I'd love it more if it looked even better as it would act as an example to others and may encourage them to up their game.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I have been using Gurkhas regularly for 'pick-up' for about 8 years digime2007 and the answer is a resounding yes. I'd be interested to know what you had that was so 'soupy'.

Personally I always have either the Masu Podina or the Karahi Paneer. I've worked my way through most of the House and Vegetarian Specials and the two I mentioned are my personal favourites. I haven't tried any of the other currys as, frankly, anyone who orders a Tikka Masala wants bloody well shooting*

*personal opinion only

http://www.e3bs.co.uk/test/gurkhas/menu.php

I've tried pretty much all the curry houses in Upper Norwood (CP), Forest Hill and Beckenham and I rate Gurkhas the highest. As with you I find all the others quite poor, not just the ones in Sydenham. I did try the one you mention and had a terrible meal but that may have been an aberration.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

I can't remember what I had now but I will try them again at some point.

Your comment reminded me of when I was in a restaurant in Laos and when the owner found out I was from England he insisted on cooking me a Chicken Tikka Masala. I did protest but he said that if I didn't like it I wouldn't have to pay. It was actually very good. I'm guessing he didn’t study cooking in a takeaway on Sydenham Road though!

Nice to know our British culinary peculiarities travel the world ahead of us.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Gurkha's is OK...But I think a bit over-rated.

Garam Masala at the not-so-posh end serves a perfectly decent curry...and their okra really is second to none.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D
Love Gurkhas,
But it's not only the food that I love, It's the service and the feeling that you are special when you eat there, excellent manners. :D
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Yes, Gurkha's is nice. You are paying for 'nice'. Their 'Gurkha's lager is very nice, [and strong ...'Hic' !!] it is also pretty expensive.
Come to think of it, on balance...Garam Masala is better than Gurkha's ...
benndant

Post by benndant »

I use Gurkhas regularly and I think they are a real asset to the high street (although the food can be a bit inconsistent - great sometimes, other times not so great for the same dish... anyway).

If they are so successful then surely they have the resources to make some improvements to their shopfront (not that I think they have any real problems but it does look at bit dated). Perhaps we should look to the successful businesses to lead by example.

But what about the Boot's Chemist? I wonder whether they are proud of that shopfront. Not exactly flagship, eh? Now they *must* have the money to make improvements.
simon

Post by simon »

Interestingly benndant, as far as I can tell from this:

http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... f82e#26925

Boots has been on that spot for 70 years and is the "oldest" shop in Sydenham.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Simon wrote:Boots has been on that spot for 70 years...
A lot longer than that, Simon. Boots has been at 55 Sydenham Road since at least 1911
Fatbackfour

Post by Fatbackfour »

There's a marble Sainsbury shop front under one of the pound shop frontage.
Interesting thought that they had an old fasion shop in the high street once and have now killed the trade in bell green and lower Sydenham.
Now they re invent themselves as Sainsbury's local shops so they can put the small local businesses to the wall