Blue Mountain improvements and Sydenham on good form ...

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sydenhamboy

Blue Mountain improvements and Sydenham on good form ...

Post by sydenhamboy »

I think the old BM takes the odd knock on this forum but I have to say I was in there yesterday with a friend (I've not been for a few months) and it seems to have got into it's stride. Lovely atmosphere, well laid out, busy, jazz music playing and i notice you can buy a 'Monty Minor' cheaper full cooked breakfast for around 5 quid and that was fine - improved scrambled eggs (!) and delicious sausages.

Really nice ambience in there. I wonder if they, too, read the forum. Actually took a glance in the nice local book store (the owner is lovely) and checked out the new designs for Greyhound/roundabout and was impressed. All before hopping on the train which pumped us into London Bridge in 15 minutes for an excellent afternoon on the Southbank. My friend was quite impressed with my local area/convenience to the centre etc. (she saw an 'edited' version to be fair) but do you know, for a moment, I ... quite liked Sydenham.
There I've said it.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I think my views [nothing but positive] on the BM have been done to death so I'll pick up on your 2nd point sydenhamboy.

Your sentiment is a recurring theme with me. I have friends/family to stay reasonably often. Each time I think...what shall I do with them? Where shall I take them? Of course I'd like to take them somewhere local and somewhere that 'showcases' Sydders.

NOW...their only experience of Sydders will be to drive through it or perhaps that Location, Location, Location episode with those two fools who walked along Venner Road and ran away [who could blame them at that time?].

So [all by foot] I'll take them to CPP. Up to the DWH. Into Sydenham Hill Woods. To play Tennis at the LTA club. Around and about Mayow Park. The BM/Dolphin or Kente. Each place will get rave reviews and upon returning home I'll often get asked "where was that place again?"...something like that.

I'll smile ruefully and impart "do you know what, we never actually really left Sydenham today..."

Nods and approving noises abound. So long as I, wherever possible, keep them off Sydenham Road they're generally surprised and impressed.
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Quite agree with all your visitor suggestions Ulysses with the exception of the DWH - which has sadly nosedived since its makeover!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

The DWH . Have beenthere twice this year both times weekday afternoons when nearly empty.
1. Very expensive
Over GBP 8.00 for 1 and a half pints of ordinary and one half of posh lager.

2. Food also very pricey

3. Loud music which did not seem to my taste or any of the other few clients. I mentioned this to two of the staff who gave me blank looks.

Used to be great pub. I think they have gone much to up market for the area. Have they seen the houses in Wells PR.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I sit corrected on the DWH Big Ben and Eagle...

I go there mainly now for the place (if that makes sense). It's a lovely spot. But I do agree I've mainly been disappointed with the fare since it went all schizophrenic. By schizophrenic I mean it's by turns a pub with big garden/pub/restaurant and private dining. It doesn't really 'nail' any of these.

Perhaps Eagle they're catering more for the residents of Crescent Wood Road/Peckarmans and those fine homes on Sydenham Hill plus the Lawrie Park Triangle etc...not necessarily the Sydenham Hill estate? It seems fairly busy when I've been there especially at weekends but it seems unfortunately most people drive there!?

Anyway, it's still a far cry from about 4/5 years ago when the only option for miles was to walk visitors all the way to 'the dog' in Dulwich Village and back...a fair schlep that was!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hopefully the Greyhound once refurbished will fill the gaping whole between old boozer and gastro pub.

I liked how the DWH feels inside, some staff are very good, some not so good. Loved it during the Sydenham Arts Festival, and they do seem to have a lot of 'events' which makes it exciting.

I haven't ventured to the woodsman recently. I loved their sunday roast before they closed. Do they do steak and kidney pie with short crust pastry but out of a large tray?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Ulyses I agree that The DWH are aiming for the top of the market and not the clientelle who go to The Talma or Fox and Hounds.
I know lunchtimes and early afternoon in Autumn not busiet time but when the staff when outnumber the clients then you begin to wonder.
Also when the aim the music ( or so called ) seems to be drive any customers out quickly .
I am glad to hear they are busy with the monied classes from areas you mentioned at weekends.