138 Kirkdale

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

i was under the impression this stretch of buildings was now Listed? or am i wrong?
poppy

Post by poppy »

I must admit when that building was being renovated I had high hopes. It looked like it might be something a bit more creative.

I also wouldn't have put chicken shops and listed buildings status together. Surely, there must have been a vacant spot further up closer to the roundabout on the other side which would have been more fitting?

I think Julie Sutch our town centre manager is so desperate to fill vacant shops, anything goes (ie not even to have to bother with a sign at all in some cases on Sydenham road) unfortunately!
danstevens

Post by danstevens »

JS Chicken has gone belly up. Must have lasted all of 6 weeks. There is a shop for lease sign in the window.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

danstevens wrote:JS Chicken has gone belly up. Must have lasted all of 6 weeks. There is a shop for lease sign in the window.
This is a good thing, right?

Sends out a message that the shifting demographic of Sydders means we don't care for any more salmonella vendors? Or does it just mean that we're already saturated with such purveyors of horridness?

Never mind, I'm sure our town centre person will have a pound shop in there tout de suite!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Ulysses wrote:salmonella vendors?
This is a very serious insinuation against this (ex-)business. Do you have evidence they were closed because of this and are going to be prosecuted or are you making it up?

Remember even high-class eating joints can have health issues: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berk ... 927715.stm

Stuart
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

stuart wrote:
Ulysses wrote:salmonella vendors?
This is a very serious insinuation against this (ex-)business. Do you have evidence they were closed because of this and are going to be prosecuted or are you making it up?

Remember even high-class eating joints can have health issues: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berk ... 927715.stm

Stuart
You need to explain/question further...

At no point can one infer from my post that there was an intimation of JS Chicken being somewhat lacking in basic hygene...

I was hinting toward demand, dear chap.

I, for one, applaud the demise of such a gaudy vendor! Perhaps I am a lone dissenting voice in the lea of the hill!...

You tell me.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Ulysses wrote:At no point can one infer from my post that there was an intimation of JS Chicken being somewhat lacking in basic hygene...
Ulysses wrote:(The closure of JS Chicken) ... sends out a message that the shifting demographic of Sydders means we don't care for any more salmonella vendors?
You are too sharp for me there. I was thinking salmonella was a bad bacterium what got Edwina Currie fired. Could it be a rock salmon dish with a dash of chicken sauce?

I can see that would not be terribly popular either.

Stuart
sydenhamboy

glad it's gone

Post by sydenhamboy »

I think it's incredibly telling that it's closed down. People need to wake up and smell the coffee (preferably cappuccino) Sydenham's demographic has changed. Have you seen the amount of 'young and/or professional' workers disembarking at Sydders every evening? ... someone has to reflect this in the high street ... blah blah you've heard it all before. It just strikes me as odd still. The closure of a down market fast food outlet really should send a very specific message to future business ventures; and the Sydenham manager needs to take note otherwise Sydenham will become synonymous with failed business when in reality it's just that it has the wrong ones.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Ahem...I thought it was John Major who, for some strange reason, got Edwina 'fired' !!

Let us welcome the demise of more 'gaudy vendors' to be replaced by vendors of taste. But, where would the gaudy vendor patrons go?
mrs woman

Post by mrs woman »

Didnt John Major and Edwina Currie have an affair?

There is quite a turnover with shops here and we do have quite a few empty. Thought its one way to be idealistic and say what type of shops we would like , however realilstically would they survive, would we use the shop.

I think I would like to shop in a market buy from a butcher or a wet fish shop but a supermarket is more convienent, has everything particularly parking. Also for clothes and other stuff I go up west, or east croydon. I dont buy anything on sydenham high street.

However I would consider a free range chicken or organic outlet takeaway or a slightly more upbeat type of takeaway cos sometimes I get fed up cooking but wouldnt consider any takeaways as use cheap meat and hygene may be questionable. I think I would be in the minority cos the prices would be dearer than the norm. 8)
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

Speaking of more 'upmarket' takeaways, the local restaurant on Kirkdale, Thats Amore, do a selection of pasta takeaways for £5, and the portions and the quality of the food are very good. Nice to have something quick and easy instead of a ready meal or the usual stuff