Silverdale Postal Sorting Office - Original purpose please?

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
mosy

Silverdale Postal Sorting Office - Original purpose please?

Post by mosy »

Apols if covered somewhere already.

Ta.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

It was built as a Postmen's Sorting Office, opened in 1896, and served that purpose until it closed.
mosy

Post by mosy »

The question cropped up when a friend and I were discussing the style of the architecture. Many thanks for your reply.
AbusiveAngryMan

Post by AbusiveAngryMan »

<deleted>

I have deleted AAA's postings and dependent followups and suspended his account. The name and nature of the post suggest the intention is defy the forum rules on abuse.

Comments on moderation to Town Asylum please.

Admin
oin

Post by oin »

The fencing was not there for the first few months. My guess is it was added to stop people walking across the car park area and adversely interacting with the vans. I suspect Health and Safety.

Even excusing it that much, I can't see the design advantage of having the customer interfacing part of the complex at the furthest point past all the roads and car parks ...
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

I very much hope that when the sorting office re-opens again, that the orignal features will be left. I think it is a wonderful looking building...I hope it is protected?
Beerboy

Re: Silverdale Postal Sorting Office - Original purpose plea

Post by Beerboy »

Wasn't the Rink cinema next door to it, or is it one and the same thing?
bradfordroadgirl

Re: Silverdale Postal Sorting Office - Original purpose plea

Post by bradfordroadgirl »

Beerboy wrote:Wasn't the Rink cinema next door to it, or is it one and the same thing?
I've taken my original post off as my mother realised she was mistaken. It was next door. Apologies.