The Dolphin

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Miserableold-ish git

The Dolphin

Post by Miserableold-ish git »

Hiya.
Sorry, haven't been on here for awhile,but......
Was in The Golden Lion tonight (New Years Eve) and heard that the Dolphin "My be in abit of trouble financialwise".
Sorry if this is old news,but was wondering if there is any truth in this.
I know the people involved have put alot of time & effort into the Pub, but I'd hate to see another block of flats in Sydenham Road.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I sincerly hope not. It is a bit expensive but still best pub in the down town area.
I recall owned by the same people who own The Dartmouth Arms in SE 23.

I think we should be wary of passing on rumours like this.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I agree. It is a rumour and only that.

Funny thing is, it seems to be the busiest place in town, especially in the summer with the beer garden.

I'd take the rumour with a pinch of salt.
AbusiveAngryMan

Post by AbusiveAngryMan »

<deleted>

I have deleted AAA's postings and dependent followups and suspended his account. The name and nature of every post suggest the intention is defy the forum rules on abuse.

Comments on moderation to Town Asylum please.

Admin
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

maybe if they lowered the price of beer in there by (at least) 20p a pint they'd get more customers. I was quite shocked by the prices when I was in there last!
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Do they still have that silly sharing concept for even meals? That's always put me off. Nothing against sharing in itself but if the dishes on the menu don't complement each other it won't work.

I prefer the Dartmouth Arms approach. Keep it simple and do it well.

I hope these rumours are unfounded though as I enjoy their Sunday roasts and would use it a lot more if the menu was sorted.
Ulysses

Re: The Dolphin

Post by Ulysses »

Miserableold-ish git wrote:Hiya.
Sorry, haven't been on here for awhile,but......
Was in The Golden Lion tonight (New Years Eve) and heard that the Dolphin "My be in abit of trouble financialwise".
Sorry if this is old news,but was wondering if there is any truth in this.
I know the people involved have put alot of time & effort into the Pub, but I'd hate to see another block of flats in Sydenham Road.
I'd be interested to know who told you this rumour Miserableold-is git. Was it per chance the fella serving the drinks?

If so what do you expect him to say? "I tell you what, that place across the road is rammed every time I look over there, especially on Sundays. I should have gone after the ABC1's myself" [well ok it's not rammed at all times, where is, but it's very busy at obvious times].

Sounds like Corporate Skullduggery to me...
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

<deleted>

I have deleted AAA's postings and dependent followups and suspended his account. The name and nature of every post suggest the intention is defy the forum rules on abuse.

Comments on moderation to Town Asylum please.

Admin
he did have a point about getting served in the dolphin though !!
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

JRobinson wrote:maybe if they lowered the price of beer in there by (at least) 20p a pint they'd get more customers. I was quite shocked by the prices when I was in there last!
£3.40 for a pint of cooking lager - outrageous :shock:
Still, I suppose it keeps riff raff like me out!
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

I would gladly give up my life and those of my family for The Dolphin.
At the very least I will sell my house, give them the money and live on the streets to ensure it's survival.
poulet

Post by poulet »

I agree, I like the place and while it might not be everybody's cup of tea (pint of ale?) it does bring a bit of variety to Sydenham drinking.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

The Dolphin is rather over-priced. The Lyceum Tavern, a very decent Sam Smith's pub just at the north end of Waterloo Bridge sells a very decent pint in pleasant surroundings for a much lower price than our much lauded 'Dolphin'. Now, how comes? Somebody, methinks, is extracting the Michael, perhaps?
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I suppose value and views on pricing are all relative. Clearly the owners of The Dolphin think there are enough people in Sydders who will pay the prices they ask [again based on how busy it is at expected times] and who can afford it. And it's a 'gastropub' so you should always expect a bit of a premium, whether you're in Grimsby or in Greenwich.

As for The Lyceum I agree it's a good boozer. As was the Coal Hole before it got too maddening with pre-theatre punters. But the Lyceum seems to be just that bit off the beaten track to need to draw the trade a bit more (if that makes sense). Hence the competitive pricing? It's the same if I want a Pizza Express, I go to the 'original' one just to the right of Waterloo bridge [North]...it's prime central London but just that little bit far enough away from the tourist's range as to be pleasantly free of them.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I will pay a little bit more to be in nice surroundings (such as the Dolphin), though obviously there is a limit. I don't think the Dolphin prices are any more expensive than equivalent pubs in other areas.

They're obviously not competing for the customer that wants to pay rock bottom prices so I don't know why people bang on about it.
simon

Post by simon »

I would agree with Ulysses and take anything put about by a direct competitor with a pinch of salt. I've been in the Golden Lion midweek and it has been dead as a dodo, but I dont go round telling the world on a forum that they're in trouble.
Sure the Dolphin's beer is a bit pricey but I dont think it ever saw itself as catering to the price sensitive heavy drinking market.
As an aside, plenty of the Sam Smiths pubs in the West End are oasises of value. I often drink in one in Devonshire Mews where the beer is under £2 a pint, as it was the last time I was in the John Snow. Tadcaster brewery workers must be underpaid.
SAF

High Beer Prices

Post by SAF »

There is another factor in all this. Both The Dolphin and The Golden Lion, like thousands of other pubs in this country, are owned by Enterprise Inns a huge pub company. They have to buy their beer through this company which explains the rather similar and limited offer in both. I think they are both relatively expensive for a pint and quite similarly priced. But I’m not a huge drinker and go to The Dolphin to eat their wonderful food and normally drink wine and I sometimes watch music for free at The Golden Lion so I’m not complaining. These are both great pubs and I’m glad to have them at our end of town.

Further Reading
An interesting web site on the subject can be found here http://www.fairpint.org.uk/index.html
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

The Dolphin and Blue Mountain are the only places in Sydenham I frequent with any regularity. I am delighted to finally have a couple of places locally where I am tempted to spend my money, instead of having to travel elsewhere.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

I've just had another idea, maybe we could sell some of our organs to help keep the Dolphin afloat!

Im willing to stump up a kidney.

How about everyone else?Are you willing to do what it takes to ensure the survival of the premier establishment in Sydenham?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Some of the posts seem to infer there is truth in the rumour , or they are taking it seriously.
Unless anyone has any facts can we assume all is OK with The Dolphin.
scarpetta

Post by scarpetta »

Defo. I love the Dolphin.