The Dolphin

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

As Del Amitri once sang Eagle, we'll be the last to know!

It would seem though as if this is just scurillous rumour-mongering.

However, in my case, it's back-fired. If the intention of the person in the Golden Lion was to cause panic and stop people frequenting The Dolphin through fears regarding it's liquidity [pun intended] then it hasn't worked. All it's done is reminded me how much I love The Dolphin and how much I would miss this vital, classy asset to Sydders. So, perversely, although I don't have any fears about it's future I am going to use it more now. Simply because it's bloody great and every other pub is so bloody sh*t.

Again, not because I believe this claptrap spread by Miserable-oldish git but because I've taken The Dolphin a bit for granted recently!

As for SAF's post. Good point. 'Tied' pubs are suffering from the double whammy of rising overheads at the pump [so to speak] and falling footfall as people use pubs for meals rather than boozing and entertain at home more.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

stone-penge wrote:I've just had another idea, maybe we could sell some of our organs to help keep the Dolphin afloat!

Im willing to stump up a kidney.

How about everyone else?Are you willing to do what it takes to ensure the survival of the premier establishment in Sydenham?
I will gladly donate your other kidney.
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

lambchops wrote:
stone-penge wrote:I've just had another idea, maybe we could sell some of our organs to help keep the Dolphin afloat!

Im willing to stump up a kidney.

How about everyone else?Are you willing to do what it takes to ensure the survival of the premier establishment in Sydenham?
I will gladly donate your other kidney.
My old liver doesn't work that well any more. I'm open to offers.
Fatbackfour

Post by Fatbackfour »

I hope all this donated offal isn't destined for the menu at the Dolphin.
Miserableold-ish git

Dolphin.

Post by Miserableold-ish git »

I'm sorry if I've opened "a can of worms" on here, but, probably unwisely, I was just sharing what I over heard in the Golden Lion:
It wasnt from "the other side of the bar", rather this side, and it was from a regular of both pubs.
Personally I find the Golden Lion type of public House preferable, but am pleased there is a choice of "watering Holes" in SE26.
Fatbackfour

Post by Fatbackfour »

I don't think that it is a contest between the Dolphin and Golden Lion to find the best pub.
The Dolphin and The Lion both do what they do well.
I enjoy the live music available at the Golden Lion and very much enjoy spring and summer evenings in the garden at the dolphin.
They both present very different offerings and as miserable-ish git says its nice to have the choice.
Long may they both prosper.
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

"The Dolphin and Blue Mountain are the only places in Sydenham I frequent with any regularity. I am delighted to finally have a couple of places locally where I am tempted to spend my money, instead of having to travel elsewhere"[/quote:Julsb]

Ditto Julsb. I'd rather pay a little more (but only a little more mind, to have a nice place to drink with a fab interior and outdoor space (and nice loos) that's local. I rather like the seasonal menu which provides decent hearty food. We're lucky that if we don't fancy the food we're a short hop and skip away from the best Italian Trattoria and garam masala.

I very much hope this rumour isn't true as the Dolphin fills a much needed gap in these here parts. :D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Dolphin I agree is good but would not venture in BM. Uncomfortable seating and music not to my taste.
Kente far better
poppy

Post by poppy »

I was in there on Friday night and it was packed to the rafters. The busiest I have ever seen it! No free seats at all at 8pm, lots standing....

Whether it was just a case of people not venturing far or getting back to Sydders early from work because of the weather I don't know....
Miserableold-ish git

poppy wrote:I was in there on Friday night and it was packed to the rafters. The busiest I have ever seen it! No free seats at all at 8pm, lots standing....

Whether it was just a case of people not venturing far or getting back to Sydders early from work because of the weather I don't know....
Where was this on Friday Poppy;
Lion,Dolphin or BM ? :?:
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I often think to myself - on the very odd occasion that I venture into The Golden Lion - that it would make an excellent gastropub. Unfortunately for it, The Dolphin beat it to the punch.

I must admit you still fail to see the folly of the announcement Miserableold-ish git...

He's a regular you say, well doubtless the owners of The Dolphin feel it's necessarily their duty to show him the E.O.Y. books then? Give me strength.

As for The Golden Lion, I don't trust their loos ergo I don't trust their food. Mainly it's just been I and the barperson in there so as previous, if they didn't have the Jazz night or if they decided to stop said nights, I give it 3 months.

Hopefully once this happens they can gastropub if up! Cannot wait. That beer-soaked, cigarette-impregnated carpet gives me a headache just looking at it! As for the twee ornaments on every shelf...

The two pubs may be across the road from each other but they're a million miles away from each other in acceptability and respectability.
Miserableold-ish git

Jeez ulysses.
I haven't critised the Dolphin,I've apologised for mentioning what I heard,yet you're taking it like you have shares in The Dolphin.
All I did was ask if anyone knew whether what I heard was true.
Yet you come on here critising, basically me and all things Golden Lion.
So you don't like carpets and ornaments. Whoppee-do.
As I said before, I'm glad there are various DIFFERENT public houses for different tastes: I'm not suprised you were on your own in the GL.
People probably couldn't get aword in with all your complaining.
:wink:
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Gastropub?
Newly fangled idea. Nice, on occasion, I suppose. Each to their own.
But I suspect that 'gastropub' is often just and excuse to charge OTT.

I go to a pub, primarily not to 'gastro' but to have a nice drink with company of my choosing and in a certain amount of comfort.
Fatbackfour

Post by Fatbackfour »

Trawlerman,
I'm with you on this, I like my pubs like pubs and my gastropubs like wine bars.
angela53

The Dolphin

Post by angela53 »

There is room for both types of pub. Sometimes I want Gastro at other times I want Traditional. After all variety is the spice of life !
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

You may be right Trawlerman regarding the pricing. However, when you consider that gastropubs offer superior food, superior drinks, superior clientele and in vastly superior surroundings then it's a premium worth paying.

I fear that in 5-10 years time only gastropubs will be in existence. 'Proper' boozers are going the way of the dinosaur. We have, what, 50 closures a week currently? Given how quiet any of them are (save a few old boys at the bar) then they need to gastropub up or they'll go pop.

It's not all bad news though. As with us being an increasingly secular society and non-believers in a god, churches make for fantastic conversions into residential dwellings! I've been in some cracking pub conversions too.

Where will all the criminal elements go to palm off their stolen goods when all the 'real' pubs disappear, I wonder?
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Ulysses wrote:superior clientele
Hahahah.

INCOMMING!
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I've got the flak jacket on and can always seek shelter under the desk if the bombardment is too fierce. :lol:

Anyway, it's just a personal view. I'd say I'm entitled to air it, after all, it's personal but not personal...
Fatbackfour

Post by Fatbackfour »

Well Ulysses, I was tempted to rise to your bait but that would be too predictable.
Traditional pubs provide the opportunity for people to meet and talk and while away an enjoyable evening with friends. They are also in the main classless with builders,plumbers and solicitors rubbing shoulders and just enjoying themselves.
The role of the traditional pub is changing,the government has levied a high rate of taxation on the pub whilst at the same time the supermarkets are selling wine and beer at virtually the same prices as they were 20 years ago.
In the case of the pub a pint of bitter in 1989 was 96pence and today it is £3.10 and if your a lager drinker the figures are £1.08 and today £3.35.
Potential punters also have a massive choice of home entertaiment options compared with the pub hey day.
Drinking in the home has grown and is seen as acceptable.
We are also in the grip of an economic downturn, but if you believe the news today we are comming out of it.
It doesn't matter if you are a gastro pub or traditional pub struggling to make ends meat, owners have had to become creative in the way they market thier businesses.
So don't score cheap shots at the expense of a British tradition which is struggling to survive in our modern age, because once they have gone so has your choice.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Miserable. | was talking about the Dolphin being very busy. I feel very lucky to live near such a nice pub....