The Dolphin

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Interesting points you raise, Ulysses. But take care: dinosaurs lorded it over this planet for many millions of years, looks like the much vaunted homo saps will do well to achieve a fraction of their existence!

Also 'superior clientele' ? Please!!!

God save us from a being nation of gastro pubs with their 'superior'
clientele and their cloned lifestyle choices. A real dystopian vision if ever there was one.

Hang on...I feel a satire coming on...
Miserableold-ish git

Post by Miserableold-ish git »

poppy wrote:Miserable. | was talking about the Dolphin being very busy. I feel very lucky to live near such a nice pub....
Please, MOG to my friends (& Ulysess).
:lol:
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

:lol:

I appreciate the joke may well be on me there but I applaud your reaction to my not so gentle goading.
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Ulysses wrote:superior clientele
I was wondering where my general indifference to 'gastropubs' came from and why I rarely drink in them. I'm inferior. Thanks for clearing that up - I know my place now.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

A [superior client]: One should certainly know one's place if one fails to frequent the place to know, don't you know?

B [inferior peasant-type]: Much tugging of forelock, awkward, humble grovelling & incoherent servile muttering. Bidding a hasty and shame-faced backward retreat; head swimming with visions of superior gastro-pubs, skiing trips to Lichtenstein and the sure knowledge of one's own cultural disability.
charlieandpip

Post by charlieandpip »

I was in the Dolphin last Tuesday night and was shocked how busy it was on a random Tuesday in Jan!

I have to say I haven't been to the Golden Lion since the Dolphin opened, maybe I should check it out in the summer but for now the Dolphin ticks all my boxes.

P (of C&P)
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

charlieandpip wrote:I was in the Dolphin last Tuesday night and was shocked how busy it was on a random Tuesday in Jan!

I have to say I haven't been to the Golden Lion since the Dolphin opened, maybe I should check it out in the summer but for now the Dolphin ticks all my boxes.

P (of C&P)
I had my parents visiting from Canterbury this weekend [yes, I have they, and even more to the surprise of some, a Father!...] and decided to zip across at 3PM this past Saturday.

Now, despite the inclement weather it was busy. I'd say most tables were taken. BUT I had the most sublime 'squid, crayfish and saffron risotto with deep fried leeks' followed by a dreamy Sticky-Toffee pud. It [the risotto] was the best plate I have had in many years. Congrats to the owner and his chef/s.

I wonder how this would compare and contrast with The Golden Lion's deep-fried scampi?

Put simply, I've tried most, if not all, acceptable places within a 5 mile or so radius and to my mind, nothing competes.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

OK, sod it.

Given I was born in 1976 and I 'dumped' my first real love in 1991 I thought I'd pick up on this beautiful rendition....

It was the nothing competes reference that made me think of 'Nothing Compares'...

Brings tears to mine eyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_fPS0HwjJc
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

very hot summer - 1976, my mother complained about the labour, apparently.

took my inlaws into The Dolphin for Sunday lunch sometime before Christmas, and it was rather pleasant.

must go back there sometime, (maybe I'll moan about the price of a pint if I do....)
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I remember The Dolphin in the 70's . We called the landlady The Plain Lady . She ran a tight ship before she emigrated to country pub near New Addington.
pip

Post by pip »

I remember them well. I cant remember her name though but husband was David. They moved to the White Bear in Featherbed Lane but moved on from there after only a couple of months to a Pub on the south coast but that was the last I heard of them.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Pip
Good someone else remembered the good times before the pub went down hill prior to its current owners.
After they left pub went down hill
Did not know they only stayed a short while before moving to the coast.
I hope they are well.
dwillis1963

Post by dwillis1963 »

Great memories of the Dolphin as it was the location for my first meeting with my husband Jon over 24 years ago on a blind date.

Can't remember that price of a pint then !

Great night though still together with 4 kids all these years later !!
pip

Post by pip »

Just had memory flash, Daves wife was Brenda.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

I first met the Mrs. in the Dolphin in 1993, the place has a lot to answer for !
Miserableold-ish git

Counted 5 people in the Dolphin on Tuesday at 14:30,and there was 7 in the Lion. Don't go in the Two Halves and the Railway had 4 people by the door smoking.
What this proves, I've No Idea ! :lol:
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Counted about 50+ in The Dolphin on Friday night and even more on Sunday lunchtime. Indeed based on a cursory glance through the windows as I walk past each evening Weds/Thurs/Fri/Sat evening sees most tables within view packed. The Golden Lion had one fella smoking outside looking unsteady on his feet. He was joined by two others on Friday night so it must have been happy hour.

I'm no expert but I'd imagine the fact that The Dolphin was emptyish at 2.30 on a Tuesday afternoon probably tells you that their regulars have jobs?... :lol:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree Ulysees, one would be more woried if packed at 1430 hours on working day.
I am surprised some of these pubs do not close at 1430 un til say 1700 as they used. For most the market is not these.

Also believe the closing time should return to 2300 hrs , surely this is quite late enough
Miserableold-ish git

Next time I'm in The Dolphin I'll ask people why they like a pub with Tables and chairs that don't match, and why they like the old "spit on the floor" wood !

(Its a joke U !!).
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Ulysses wrote:Counted about 50+ in The Dolphin on Friday night and even more on Sunday lunchtime. Indeed based on a cursory glance through the windows as I walk past each evening Weds/Thurs/Fri/Sat evening sees most tables within view packed. The Golden Lion had one fella smoking outside looking unsteady on his feet. He was joined by two others on Friday night so it must have been happy hour.

I'm no expert but I'd imagine the fact that The Dolphin was emptyish at 2.30 on a Tuesday afternoon probably tells you that their regulars have jobs?... :lol:
So Greg, you can walk past a mainly glass fronted pub and estimate that it's more popular by the fact that you can actually see (by your estimation) 50+ punters but dismiss a pub with 3 small windows (which afford NO view inside) as unpopular becuase the customers aren't visible. Well done, I'm impressed. Your powers of observation are astounding.
I walked past The Ivy last week and couldn't see ANYONE inside but a cursory glance at McDonalds in Lewisham, well, it was packed.
My experience didn't prove anything apart from the fact I can see through windows.
What's your point Greg? Are you trying to say you drink in a superior establishment and those who drink elsewhere are somehow unworthy and beneath you?
Please clarify. I'm sure the whole of the STF would be interested to hear what you've got to say before I get banned for daring to question you.

<trimmed by admin>