Fly tipping - what is WRONG with these people??

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Fly tipping - what is WRONG with these people??

Post by nork1 »

I'm angry. VERY angry. For the past month some inconsiderate piece of scum has been dumping stuff in Lawrie Park road. First it was a fridge freezer, then a mattress, a chair, a car seat, another mattress and now a whole bloody bed. Always in the same place. As soon as the council takes the stuff away these retards dump more there.
What I'd like to know is who the hell is doing this and why? They obviously needed a car/van to get this stuff to Lawrie Park road, why couldn't they just drive a mile down the road to the council tip and dump it there for free?

:evil:
The Eagle

Re: Fly tipping - what is WRONG with these people??

Post by The Eagle »

nork1 wrote:I'm angry. VERY angry. For the past month some inconsiderate piece of scum has been dumping stuff in Lawrie Park road. First it was a fridge freezer, then a mattress, a chair, a car seat, another mattress and now a whole bloody bed. Always in the same place. As soon as the council takes the stuff away these retards dump more there.
What I'd like to know is who the hell is doing this and why? They obviously needed a car/van to get this stuff to Lawrie Park road, why couldn't they just drive a mile down the road to the council tip and dump it there for free?

:evil:
It's NOT free for Lewisham Residents!
It's probably the residents in Hall Drive who dump it there :lol: :lol:
This allows them more parking space :P
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

The ******ds have had a busy day. Went to the pub at 8:30, noticed there's a fridge dumped at the end of my road which wasn't there 4 hours earlier. I've just got back an some (insert expletive here) has dumped a ******g sofa by the bus stop outside the tennis club.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to stop this apart from gassing or sterilising these (insert expletive here)?

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
raymondus

Post by raymondus »

Ordinarily, I would have said that one step would be to make council collections free (they are £15 for 3 items). However, I used to live in Camberwell, Southwark, who used to pick up for free. There was still no end of fly tipping near my place. Senseless, lazy etc.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

nork1 wrote:The ******ds have had a busy day. Went to the pub at 8:30, noticed there's a fridge dumped at the end of my road which wasn't there 4 hours earlier. I've just got back an some (insert expletive here) has dumped a ******g sofa by the bus stop outside the tennis club.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to stop this apart from gassing or sterilising these (insert expletive here)?

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
The beds and fridge were there Sunday at 11.20am

What happened to the wall at the end of Lawrie Park Rd (where there is a fountain in the garden) ?
Footloose

Post by Footloose »

This just demonstrates how pointless it is to impose charges for collecting refuse. People simply dump the stuff or burn it and pollute the atmosphere.

That is why refuse collection is treated as a "good". It is a service for which there is no viable means of collecting payment.

Some clown was on TV yesterday advocating penalties for people who do not recycle. Spy gadgets are proposed for dustbins.

Recycling actually means two heavy trucks parade along our streets (doubling pollution and cost) instead of one. They then, likely, proceed to the same dump since the bottom has dropped out of the market for waste paper and the like. The recycling programme has, I believe, more to do with the wartime policy of confiscating iron railings (still in store I believe). It is gesture politics. It sounds good until you investigate.
aidy_b

Post by aidy_b »

Lewisham residents must have a tip (New Cross?). The junk dumped in Lawrie Park Road seems to be increasing in both frequency and amount dumped.

The wall in Lawrie Park Road was knocked down by a guy in a Rav 4 who said he lost control. Managed to write off Mrs_b's car in the process...
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I was interested to read in the latest edition of 'Lewisham Life' (free magazine that popped through my door) that 'Ugly graffiti and flytipped junk were given short shrift when Downham and Forest Hill held Clean Up Days.' The article continues 'Local councillors, business people, volunteers and others rolled their sleeves up and joined street wardens in improving their environment.' I thought - this sounds great. Then it said 'If you would like to take part in a Clean Up Day contact Colin Sandiford on 020 8314 2128.' Unfortunatley the aforementioned phone number doesn't seem to work, so I will be giving Lewisham council a ring to see what going on, and post back when I have more info. I don't know if the clean up days only apply to Forest Hill and Downham (wherever that is!) but I thought i'd like to give it a try. Even if the tipping continues once its removed, it still seems that clearing it up is a positive thing to do especially because if there's junk already in a place it seems to encourage more. I regularly walk past the bit on Wells park road at the woody part near the top where there is loads of junk tipped behind the fence. Someone told me apparently the fence fell down and so fly tippers dumped there and then the council came and put up a new fence, er.. and left the junk there... so now the junk has to stay there because its almost impossible to remove since it would have to be accessed from behind the fence in virtual jungle!!! The junk seems less noticable since it has grown over a bit recently but is still a bit of an eyesore. At least the new fence seems to have discouraged more dumping in that particular place.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Juwlz

Just come across your post. Did anything come of it? I'm more than happy to get involved and will come along and lend a hand wherever in Sydenham it might be. I think the issue might continue but I always like to see the good in people and feel if people are giving cause to feel pride in where they live they'll treat it better (in the main).

In the same way the old stock of trains which are vandalised (generally the 'all' stoppers which I try to avoid) seem to be getting worse whilst the new air-con stock which stop at Forest Hill and mercifully miss out Honor Oak and Brockley seem pristine still - or maybe that's just coincidence?!
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

I'd also be pleased to lend a hand with any local clean-up day that you organise. If you wanted to clean up parts of Sydenham Road (or any of the streets leading onto it) the Town Centre Manager (julie sutch) might be a good person to get things going - julie.sutch at lewisham.gov.uk
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

To be brutally honest I'd want her help irregardles.

Whilst we're on the subject there's a cleaner who I meet most mornings. As I head for the 7.53 he's on the bridge doing nothing. I mean he's literally doing nothing. Every day at roughly the same time he's leaning against the wall smoking a roll-up. Not so long ago I had a day off and was heading down to get something from the cobblers - who did I see chatting away to one of the shop-owners fag in hand, doing nothing but the very same short, bald white man.

I'm all for breaks but there's something rotten in the state of Denmark that I see him doing nothing so often. After all he's not paid for community relations but to sweep up...or am I seeing things that aren't there or fair?
Last edited by Greg Whitehead on 6 Sep 2006 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
leaf

Post by leaf »

greg

re the cleaner;

you may have just managed to catch him when he was taking a break,which is an essential part of the day when you do a physical job!

as you said he is bald im assuming hes no spring chick so maybe he finds it taxing?

it often seems like you see someone doing the same thing all the time when really you just have parallel schedules?
though i take note of the fact that you mentioned you saw him on your day off,maybe he wonders why you are always walking past him?!

there are a few people who i always see having a cigarette down the side of the la fitness building,obviously they are on their break.

can i ask how often you have a cup of coffee at your desk?
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Good point, well made.

I take back the comment. It's a bit like saying "God, that guy's always in the pub" - you don't stop to realise that you're clearly in the pub just as often.

That said, it's not as regular as I made out that I see him but 100% of the time he IS just standing around having a fag break. Could well just be coincidence. There's always loads of street sweepers in Sydenham going up and down - in a perverse way it makes me proud (although I'm sure part of the problem with the rubbish is that the bins are open thus the papers get sucked out of them on a windy day). There's maybe some Keynesian macroeconomics rule at play here in regards full employment.

On the issue of coffee - not often enough.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Hi Greg and nasaroc
Its great to hear that you are interested in helping clean up too. I did give the council a ring and asked for Colin Sandiford, it went through to his voicemail- it said he's on holiday til the 4th sept (today), so I will give him another call tomorrow and post back then. It did say in 'Lewisham life' that the clean up days were organised by Julie Sutch, so she is already involved.

As for the street cleaners, I don't really give a damn how lazy anyone else is or isn't. I consider myself to be quite lazy generally but I feel like taking a pride in my neighbourhood and if anyone else wants to join in then great.
chrisf

Dumping trash saves much cash

Post by chrisf »

Dumping me trash saves me much cash!!!!!!! :D

Yeah I know, u guys aint gonna like me 4 dis, but then u dont like me anyway do ya???? :cry:

OK I will be a very brave fella and admit I have often dumped me rubbish up da alleys. I cant drive a van in da dump as it gets weighed and charged. I cant park outside and walk me trash in to da dump as they don't allow pedestrians. :?

I cant fit me crap in me car as it aint gonna fit....So I go to a quiet part of da neighbourhood and get rid of it for free......with no real hassles man!!!!

yeah it looks like a tip I agree. ...but it aint in my back yard :lol:
leaf

Post by leaf »

chrisf

for once you have actually got something to relevant to say on a thread!

whislt i dont condone you flytipping i can see that there are flaws in the system set up to deal with large items that need disposing of.

i didnt know that the dump didnt allow pedestrians!!

this seems ridiculous?

we dont all drive are only car users allowed to use the dump?

maybe this is the answer to the ops question?
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Well Chrisf I think that's pretty terrible that you don't make more of an effort. In fact it makes me sick that you resort to dumping it in the street. I have just renovated my house and I had 8 van-loads of stuff to dump. I took it to the dump near elephant and castle (Manor road I think it is), simply because that's where I've always taken stuff to dump. Its not even in Lewisham but they don't ask you where it came from and they don't seem to care as long as its not from a business, ie as long as you're not an actual builder. They have different containers for all the different types of rubbish and alot of it gets recycled apparently. I don't know where the nearest dump is in Lewisham is but I find it hard to believe that they weigh it if you're a resident of the borough. If they do then its a disgrace. I have had to pay for disposing of rubbish on one ocassion when I was stupid enough to take it somwhere in battersea. You need to try harder, and think of other people before you go dumping your stuff.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I'm not quite sure Chrisf's post is intended to be truthful - it's almost as if he's intending to be a parody?

If it is then perhaps admitting to a crime is not in your best interest Chris. That aside, when I was doing some more renovation recently I used a tip in New Cross (and no it wasn't the whole place as a colleague quipped)... near to the SELCHP furnace if memory serves. I just chatted nicely to the guy and he let me in with the van (removed the height barrier).
leaf

Post by leaf »

greg re chrisf

do you know i have wondered that myself!

maybe in reality he is the most hardworking decent stand up guy you could wish to meet,but gets his kicks from posting in text speak as a stereo type div?!

maybe
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I have just spoken to Colin Sandiford regarding the Clean Up Days. Apparently it is Julie Sutch who organises these and so I've left my number and apparently she's going to get in touch with the dates. The Clean Up Days sound fairly lightweight due to the health and safety restrictions, ie. no lifting of big mattresses etc. So its more like a bit of sweeping up and removing crisp bags I think, and smallish dumped items. Plus an anti graffiti team who go round removing graffiti at the same time, maybe if there's a bit of graffiti you're concerned about you get to point it out, and they remove it, who knows. Colin also brought up the issue of items dumped on private land because they can't touch those, the same goes for graffiti. Still, sounds like worthwhile thing to get involved in.

Anyway, once I know the dates I'll post them on here.