El Ruedo Tapas Restaurant

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
El Ruedo

Changes

Post by El Ruedo »

All staff would like to inform all those that are concerned that the interior of El Ruedo has in fact been changed, we also have plans to change the exterior but as people know nothing changes over night. We are taking on board the ideas of the local community and believe that you should come and sample the food and atmosphere before making any strong judgements
based on the prior ownership

many thanks

The Management
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Welcome to the forum El Ruedo.

You will find, as with Kente, that what may at first seem like some negative feedback on the forum can quickly turn as you engage with people, listen and make your business the loved local gem we all so greatly crave.

We hope to see you on here informing us of special nights, menus etc and await the work you are doing on the place with anticipation.

Good luck and welcome to Sydenham.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Hello El Ruedo!

Nice to see you here. Please tell us more. What are your plans? What are you offering? Where are you going? What's it all about? Why should we eat there?

Would be great to hear what you have to entice us.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Great to see the management posting on here and to see you have plans to change things. As Lee said check the Kente threads, a few posts from them changed the negative feedback around and people rate it highly now.

Oh do you have a menu you can post?
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Good luck to you...a Sunday Paella might be a good idea? Flamenco? Your very own Ferrier de Avril? God my mind is on overdrive!

G-Man
El Ruedo

Offers and such like

Post by El Ruedo »

We're glad to see that people are showing interest in El Ruedo we are currently running a salsa class on wednesday evenings from 7:45 for all levels. We're also offering cocktail offers including by one get one free sunday to thursday, on friday and saturday evenings we have a happy hour from five to seven which includes a three deal tapas taster which entitles you to get the cheapest dish for nothing.We currently don't open on mondays although that shall be changing as the weather progresses. Between sunday and thursday we are giving a free bottle of house wine to those that spend over £30 on food. Our general ideas at the moment are to get people sampling the food we have a very experienced chef who has worked within the spanish cuisine for many years and those who walk through the door seem to be impressed with the changes.
With all new businesses it takes time for a reputation to build and we are trying to take on board all of your feedback.
As for the exterior and signage we have had to wait for the poor weather conditions to change before we we're able to make any vast improvements we do plan to completely change the sign and canvasing. We shall also place new plants and generally make the outside look a cleaner and more homely place to relax for those summer months.

For all those wanting to see our menu this is the link to our new website it's not fully established as yet but everything is there.
www.elruedotapas.co.uk

P.s a quick note to Ulysses im sure we can manage the straw donkey and a jug of sangria on arrival haha .

Many Thanks the management
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Thanks for that. I like the website - so far - and although I am no expert on spanish tapas I like the look of the menu too.

I've found most of the tapas places I've visitied in London a bit dissapointing (all members of chains of some kind) so if your chef can pull these dishes off and you get the ambiance right you may well be on to a winner.

Also good to see you're not a one post wonder like the Gara Masala guy (not that I'm knocking their food).

Good luck.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The website looks great.

If you can make the restaurant look as good as that you could onto a winner.

It's made my day!
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

This might be the most delicious piece of humble pie I'm [possibly] about to taste.

Please forgive us [well, I] our negativity but we've had succession after succession of sh*t restaurant after sh*t restaurant open up and fold. Primarily as they would simply move into a failed business, do nothing internally or externally, not advertise/communicate and hope that people would walk past and enter their run-down premises.

Predictable results...

Seems you might be about the break the mould (as did The Dolphin/Kente/Blue Mountain and a few others).

I'm intrigued and keen.

IF you promise to hold the straw donkey then we might have a date!

Please say you'll have Seafood Paella (or is that a Brit-abroad thing I've bought into)?
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Ulysses - Go Paella Valenciana - seafood and chicken, it's traditional Paella, that's how they have it in Valencia, where it's from, and the mixture is delicious.

I may well see if G-Lady and I can come down for my birthday, which is approaching soon.

G-Man
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Thanks G-Man.

I saw Paella Valenciana on their menu. I was wondering about having it so thank you for the endorsement.

@ El Reudo: Can you upload some pictures of the internal re-fit? If not I'm sure I'll see the changes for myself when I come visit.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

A traditional Valencian Paella contains rabbit and snails, but I'm quite happy that they're not included here!

Looking forward to trying some dishes - I notice that children under 8 eat free at weekends which is enticing.... :D
El Ruedo

New Openings

Post by El Ruedo »

As from this sunday we're opening at twelve due to the promising change in weather, for the time being this will only be at weekends. We shall be doing a special lunch menu that includes five tapas dishes and two glasses of house wine or soft drinks depending on your fancy for £25. The full menu will also be available if you would prefer.

Many Thanks as always the Management.
stringfellow

Post by stringfellow »

Having looked at the menu for El Ruedo on here yesterday, myself the wife and a friend decided to go for dinner there last night.

While the decor, lighting and the sign outside still need some work we all agreed that the food and the service were fantastic. We shared several dishes from the tapas menu and had two bottles of the very reasonably priced house red. The waitresses could not have been friendlier and the owner was very keen to get honest feedback from us.

All of the food was great but the seafood in particular was fantastic. It all tasted very fresh (even the Calamari, which is a rarity these days as more often unless you are paying through the nose restaurants tend to use frozen squid). So, while some on here will have reservations about the look of the place they are obviously working on it and are keen to get it right.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes tapas or Spanish food. Although my head is a bit cloudy this morning, after a couple of whiskey's and a glass of the owners granddad's homemade Raki, I seem to remember that the chef is Spanish and he obviously seems to know what he's doing. And at roughly £70 for the three of us including drinks it's definitely great value too.
girl_canuck

Post by girl_canuck »

We went in there last night for dinner. The decor has changed quite a bit inside - it could still do with some improvements, but the tacky Mexican paraphanalia is gone, and the tables have been spaced out a bit better. The service was friendly, and the owner came over to our table a few times to chat to us.

The food was pretty good - much better than what the Mexican place was offering. We had a huge paella, and some tapas dishes. The cocktails seem to have improved too. For 4 of us it came to £60 - not bad.

I will say that when someone is having a cigarette out front, you can smell it inside while you are eating - so they might want to make a designated smoking area away from the doors.

I also thought I might like to try their Wednesday Salsa dancing nights - but at £8 entry, I think I'll pass. I used to pay £4 in the centre of touristy Brighton!

But overall it looks like we have a new local place we can go eat - which is fantastic news. It doesn't knock Trattoria Raffaele off the number one position for me, but it is a good option if you feel like a change. I think it will be a nice place to go in the summer, and look forward to seeing the improvements over the next few months.