High level railway route

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
MartinH

High level railway route

Post by MartinH »

OK, so we know that the railway crossed London road at the junction of Sydenam Hill and ran parallel with Wood Vale until it crossed Forest Hill road and along Brenchley Gardens toward Nunhead, BUT; halfway along Wood Vale is Langton Rise which would traverse the railway line. My question is; was there a bridge, a tunnel, or improbably, a level crossing at this point?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Is this the road?
simon

Post by simon »

Just as an aside Falkor, what were all those folk standing around for? Wating for a train? :)
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Simon:

Sorry to disappoint - we were on a walk as part of a London Walking event from Nunhead to Crystal Palace Park. It's me on the left!
Rebelmc

Re: High level railway route

Post by Rebelmc »

MartinH wrote:OK, so we know that the railway crossed London road at the junction of Sydenam Hill and ran parallel with Wood Vale until it crossed Forest Hill road and along Brenchley Gardens toward Nunhead, BUT; halfway along Wood Vale is Langton Rise which would traverse the railway line. My question is; was there a bridge, a tunnel, or improbably, a level crossing at this point?
It was a bridge and the people in that (absolutely bloody huge!) picture, appear to be standing at what's left of it.

Most of it was extant until relatively recently but, as you can see, the brick support walls went some time ago, then the remaining earth was landscaped into the current grassy bank.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/

If you go to the website above and click on 'CP High Level', there's links to all the stations on the branch, with picture galleries that span (no pun intended) many years.

I can't remember if it's on that site or another, but there are pictures on the web of the Langton Rise bridge, including some of it being craned away.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

I'm afraid Falkor that your photo is of the embankment further along the line closer to Nunhead where the line crossed, I believe, Brockley way. If you were to travel along Wood Vale towards Forest Hill road, Langton Rise is on the right where the Moor Park Hotel is, or was (converted into some flats). It is a steep hill but gives no clues as to whether there was a bridge or tunnel.
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

in this 1870s map, there is a bridge accross the railway at Langley rise.
there was nothing on the other side at that point, so it must have been mainly for railway or farm use

this is a view from the abandoned station towards langley rise...notice the lack of housing.
and heres the \brockley way bridge as it was

http://www.sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewto ... 4bc4c91026
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i may be somewhat lagging behind on this topic, but the London Wildlife Trust have leaflets on the High Level Rail Route. I think they are about £1 a pop. It is produced by the "Friends of the Great North Wood" and because it is copyrighted, I cannot reproduce it on STF.

However, it does highlight a walk along the route as it is today, with information on wildlife, and more importantly, refreshment stops.

If someone wants more information on the leaflet, drop me a PM