Haseltine Primary School........

Forum for families to exchange information on children's activities, schools and share the travails of parenthood
maestro

Haseltine Primary School........

Post by maestro »

In tables just published, out of 1600 London state primary schools, it ranked in the bottom 10 for pupils basic reading, writing and maths skills.

(so much for Blair's "education, education, education" election promise back in 1997!)

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... hildren.do
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Yes - but just for a bit of balance, it's worth mentioning that most of our local primaries do very well in the tests.

These significant differences point to a more complex message than the one posted above - that of massive differences in intake between Haseltine and other local primaries.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Decide for yourself, Lewisham Borough table here......

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/tab ... s-lewisham
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

You know, there's quite a deep and thoughtful discussion that can be had about education policy, but pointing out that some schools come in at the bottom of a ranked list isn't exactly a giant screaming "j'accuse."
stuart

Post by stuart »

50% of schools are below average. That's no better then when this government came into power ... shock horror!

Rather more important than position is achievement (value added). Haseltine is not bottom there. So why are you selecting this one statistic to try and dish them and Blair?

Stuart
maestro

Post by maestro »

stuart wrote:50% of schools are below average. That's no better then when this government came into power ... shock horror!

Rather more important than position is achievement (value added). Haseltine is not bottom there. So why are you selecting this one statistic to try and dish them and Blair?

Stuart
I assume you mean me. I've linked 2 articles, one from The Evening Standard illustrating that this school was 4th from bottom of 1600 London primary schools, in tables compiled by this government. After nasaroc's (now sadly departed to a forum of more satisfactory moderation!) post I linked an article from The Guardian listing the performance of all 66 state primary schools test results in Lewisham Borough, Brindishe Primary School was listed top with a score of 30.7, Haseltine Primary School was bottom with 24.5. I posted the articles as I thought they might be of interest to parents who may have children either being educated, or about to be educated at a state primary school. If we are, as you seem to suggest, simply to ignore such tables, then why would the government go the the trouble of compiling and publishing these figures? If I've made a mistake somewhere, especially with regard to a Labour campaign pledge, then please enlighten me.
stuart

Post by stuart »

maestro wrote:If we are, as you seem to suggest, simply to ignore such tables, then why would the government go the the trouble of compiling and publishing these figures?
No, that is why I quoted from them. If we have a school with the lowest final achievement but not the lowest added value what is the implied conclusion from combining these statistics? Is it about the school or the catchment area?

Stuart
kathleen

Parent choice? Parent waste of time....

Post by kathleen »

Gasp! I've just found out this morning that my child has been "offered" a place at Haseldine school and after reading these articles, I'm horrified. We are not able to walk to it and certainly wouldn't choose Lewisham's worst school. The whole parent choice thing feels like a waste of time. You visit the schools you want, read the OFSTED reports, make a considered application for a local school (all of which takes time) but then get NOTHING you ask for. Are there any more parents out there feeling as dissatisfield? One local school (Eliott Bank) has almost halved its furthest distance from 810m in 2009 to 467m in 2010. If there are so many 4 year olds living in Upper Sydenham - surely extra classes should be provided at these local schools?
nomie44

haseltine school

Post by nomie44 »

Interestingly enough, we too were offered a place at Haseltine today - not one of our choices at all. Luckily we have just moved out of the area - so will not be taking up the 'kind' offer. But just wondering how many people have actually got into a school of their choice - not just 1st, but 2nd 3rd or 4th. Our first choice school was left then 0.5km away.
nomie44

haseltine school

Post by nomie44 »

Ooops - sorry! I mean LESS than 0.5km away!
poppy

Post by poppy »

There is a definite need for more state primary schools in Sydenham.

Families living on the south side of Sydenham road, particularly, from say Trewsbury Road, all the way up to the Lawrie Park Triangle (and the Thorpes for that matter), have little choice unless they want a faith school. Even then unless you are a regular church-goer it is tricky.

Alexandra Junior school is right on the doorstep. You might be able to get a place for your child there when they reach seven/eight but do not stand a chance of getting a place at the infants because it is on a different site further away, so distance is calculated from there. But if you get a place there you automatically get a place at the juniors, distance is not an issue!! Even though your child spends more time at the juniors!

I actually think the lack of enough good schools in area is one of the reasons Sydenham is in the sorry state it is.

Many families move away as soon as their children start to approach school age because there is not a good local state school in the centre of Sydenham, that they feel their child would stand a good chance of getting a place at.

I know families in East Dulwich have set up a campaign for another state primary school, maybe families in this area could do the same.
Last edited by poppy on 22 Apr 2010 12:20, edited 2 times in total.
kathleen

Post by kathleen »

Thanks for your replies. We didn't get any of our choices on the form. It paints a depressing picture of Sydenham and I'm not sure what this means for my vote in May. I don't want to be forced to move because the council can't provide a good local school place. I've lived here for almost 20 years, dutifully paid my council tax, and for what? She's my only child and I feel totally let down.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

I do sympathise. I'm of an age when I'm starting to make plans for a family and, at the moment, I simply don't think it's feasible to remain in Sydenham and be assured that my kids will get a decent education. It's a sad state of affairs, but it's the truth.
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

I think labelling Haseltine Lewishams worst school is a bit harsh. Its a primary school! You may not have wanted your child to go there for personal reasons but spare a thought for the kids who do go there, to be constantly told you are not good enough eventually becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Its Lower Sydenham not the Gaza Strip.
Families living on the south side of Sydenham road, particularly, from say Trewsbury Road, all the way up to the Lawrie Park Triangle (and the Thorpes for that matter), have little choice unless they want a faith school.
There isn't a lot of choice from Trewsbury Road toward Sainsburys either.
kathleen

Post by kathleen »

I appreciate what you're saying Global Thinker but the school offered is over two miles from our house. We're damned by not living close enough to our top school choices (both under a mile from us) and then 'rewarded' with a place at a school over two miles away?? Four year olds can't be expected to walk that far every day.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Here is a link to the Dulwich/Peckham primary school campaign facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wal ... 0669739604
kathleen

Post by kathleen »

Thanks Poppy. I'll have a look.
daveW

Post by daveW »

Isn't it becoming a bit crazy when a school services the equivalent of one street...surely part of growing up is expanding you horizons beyond a group of people that live within a circle of 800 metres round your school?

I would like to know which genius came up with the idea to turn people down for a school because they're not within 400 metres of the school gates...and in a move of pure genius sends them to a school 8 times further away!!??!!

I could almost forgive the total uselessnes of all those involved, if children appeared...as if by magic at the age of 4, thereby giving no one the chance to plan ahead...Of course local and national government are convinced this is the case...or perhaps they thought swine and bird flu were going to have more affect on infant mortality...

The easiest and fairest system seems to me to take an average distance of each pupil to the schools within their borough, and make each pupil go to the school nearest the average. This way everyone travels the same distance...(a healthy walk there and back), and the so-called choice is removed. Schools would improve because everyone knows it's how much parents care about schools that forces the improvement...not government or council interference... so everyone would work with the schools, not try to avoid them.
LaHibernis

Post by LaHibernis »

The main problem is that there are more 4 year olds due to start school this coming academic year than there are reception places. Presumably this is something that the council, and indeed our government, should have been aware of 3-4 years ago and didn't take time to plan for properly.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

So Lewisham now has 543 x 4 year olds without a Reception place in September/January, according to the South London Press.

But is it a case for an increase in the birth rate? I can't find any evidence...

What if more Lewisham parents are choosing to apply for Lewisham places and not Southwark or Bromley schools? A change in previous years, due to the rise in standards of schools in Sydenham?

Maybe more Lewisham parents are considering State schools rather than Independent schools due to the recession? We can't measure this.

I would urge anyone who's applied for a local faith school to appeal, as not all the Foundation (Worshipper) places are filled at the first hurdle. This means in a typical annual intake of 45 places, 30 are reserved for Worshippers leaving 15 Open places. Some years there are only around 15 Worshippers, which means an extra 15 Open places at the 2nd hurdle.

But of course this changes year to year. My daughter couldn't get into St. Barts in her year, but my son did 3 years later. We were better off going private for her... Horses for Courses and all that.

There's also a question of placing popular schools in your choices. You wouldn't get a place at Eliot Bank, St. Philips or St. Barts if you didn't put it as your first choice.

There's a high rate of pupil movement in Lewisham schools, it's not unusual to start your child at one school for a couple of years until a place comes up later on in another. It's not the end of the world, so get them reading with you and do some sums - it's the Parent support that really makes a difference to your child's education.