IDEA 1: FOR PROMOTING SYDENHAM

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

IDEA 1: FOR PROMOTING SYDENHAM

Post by leenewham »

OK, I'm throwing these on here as I'm busy with all sorts of stuff. If someone thinks it's a good idea and wants to run with it then please do so! There is an election coming-up so perhaps someone may take heed of some of these the ideas. You never know.

I was pointed towards a website called 'totally locally' recently.

http://www.totally-locally.co.uk/

It has loads of interesting information about local shops and businesses up in Yorkshire. They have promotions, competitions, information on parking, events etc.

I contacted them and they kindly replied.

"Hi Lee, Thanks for your enquiry about the Totally Locally website. In regards to your questions about whether the website has made a difference, Totally Locally is a brand and includes lots of promotions including the website. The campaign itself was launched on 22nd October 2009 and has made a massive impact locally in Calderdale, West Yorkshire. Some shops within our district have shown an increase of 17% in takings."
danstevens

Post by danstevens »

Hi,

It's just another community website.

It's no different to sydenhamtown.org but branded / designed differently. The content may be more up to date but it's difficult to know.

The only bits that aren't on sydenhamtown.org are competitions and info on parking.

cheers.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's a site aimed totally towards local business.

This site isn't aimed totally towards local business. I'm sure admin will agree that these sites are quite different.

Sydenham Town doesn't have lots of articles on individual shops, it doesn't have competitions, promotions, a map for where you can park with costs and restrictions, interviews with local businesses and it isn't part of a wider strategy backed by the council for how to promote your local shopping district (which goes beyond JUST sydenham).

How many people here go to other pages other than the forum in here?

I'm not criticising this website as I personally think Admin does a great job of giving local people a voice about their local area. I think it's a shame that it isn't used by local business more to promote themselves and get feedback (this has happened more recently) or the likes of our town centre manager who steers clear of here due to the amount of criticism she gets.

But is this something the marketing department at Lewisham HQ should consider? Does Lewisham HQ have a marketing department?
danstevens

Post by danstevens »

Hi,

Yes I see you point, this site isn't dedicated to the needs to local businesses but that function is still integrated into it. Look above at the navigation and you will see a "directory" link which holds info about local businesses.

Call it something different and make it up to date and it serves the same purpose.

I should imagine admin will think your idea is all well and good but it actually takes a lot of work to bring it to fruition. The age old problem.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Yes, it will take a lot of time and effort. It took the people behind the local website 12 months to get it up and running.

But lets see a half full glass rather one that is half empty. These are just some ideas I'm sharing here.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

I think the traders should get together and organise a Sydenham Road Day (or weekend even).

They could offer some decent promotions and free samples/tastings to get people interested.

Advertise it heavily, make it a bit of an event, get people into the idea of shopping/eating locally.
parklife

Post by parklife »

I think thats an excellent idea - perhaps incorporate it in sydenham arts festival ?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Now we are getting somewhere.

Yes...good thinking.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

parklife wrote:I think thats an excellent idea - perhaps incorporate it in sydenham arts festival ?
Guess that would make it Shop Art!
shopgirl

Post by shopgirl »

digime2007 wrote:I think the traders should get together and organise a Sydenham Road Day (or weekend even).

They could offer some decent promotions and free samples/tastings to get people interested.

Advertise it heavily, make it a bit of an event, get people into the idea of shopping/eating locally.
I think that's a great idea, too - and we need the same for Kirkdale. Also, Lewisham Council have some funding to put towards the promotion of areas with a large amount of empty shops. If anyone would like to talk ideas, I'd be up for it.