Broadband

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is no problem with BT. That is the telecommunications people (Openreach). They provide the same service to many ISPs including mine. The screw ups appear to be upstream at the ISP. Confusingly BT Broadband is one of these. BT Openreach technically is good. BT Broadband is - well you can read the opinions above. AOL is a brand of CPW/TalkTalk. They also have a reputation.

Sadly in this business there is a great temptation for different organisations to blame each other for problems. All I will say is some ISPs can deliver a superb service across BT Openreach's infrastructue (aka your telephone line/exchange). Others do not.

Admin
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Whilst my internet is working - it is deadly slow.

It's a waste of time using YouTube, I downloaded one track yesterday from itunes, and it took forever.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

There are still some problems in the Sydenham Exchange that will cause some connections not to run as fast as they should; for example I am only gettting about 10 meg down load instead of 15 meg.
Due to these problems my IP Profile is set at 11000 kbps, when they are resolved (hopefully with ten days???) my IP Profile will increase.

Maybe your IP Profile has managed to get stuck?
What are your results when you run the BT speedtester?
http://speedtester.bt.com/

Here are my results:-

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
12674 Kbps

0 Kbps 99999 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 12674 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1000-99999 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :17569 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 888 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 11000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 17.71:24.73:57.56 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Update:_

I have been told by BT BROADBAND that BT WHOLESALE should be replacing/fixing the equipment in Sydenham exchange this afternoon as I (and no doubt others) should notice an increase in their speed.
I am expecting about a 40% increase .............. from 11000kbps to 15000kbps approximately
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Thanks Eagle.

My 'broadband' is a waste of time at the moment - everything is dead slow, far slower than the dial up of years ago.

Its pointless me even trying to view things on YouTube, for instance, they take a lifetime to download.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

As expected my speeds have increased :-)

Download Speed
16742 Kbps

0 Kbps 99999 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 16742 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :17778 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 888 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 15000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 14.45:25.88:59.66 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

fishcox wrote:Thanks Eagle.

My 'broadband' is a waste of time at the moment - everything is dead slow, far slower than the dial up of years ago.

Its pointless me even trying to view things on YouTube, for instance, they take a lifetime to download.
Fishcox

You really do seem to be experiencing problems.
What sort of download speeds are you getting if you plug directly into the BT Hub?
Use this site to check:- http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

Apart from the problem when pages would not open on the internet which finally was resolved weeks ago, I can honestly say I NEVER have any problems with my download speed, it always matches my IP Profile speed.
If I am using P2P during the busy periods, YES it is hopeless so I never use it from about 4pm to midnight.

Maybe you could post you results from the BT Speedtester, that will gives us some idea
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Hi again Eagle

Download speed is a mighty 131 kbps and upload speed 364 kbps.

Any thoughts?
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

What are your tests on the bt speedtester
The important figue is what your IP Profile has been set at.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Just been on to BT again (wont let me on to the Speedtester website, due to some fault or another).

They told me that there has been an 'outage' on my area (which I think I was already aware of) and that normal service will be resumed on 1 June.

That was after the usual 'tests' including making me take the front off the main BT box in the house, change the ADSL filter, etc etc.

Roll on 1 June.

Im not holding my breath for any change though.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Seems a load of the usual bull**** that comes out of India. My experience proves they will just say/promise anything to get rid of the customer.

My advice is to by pass India and call Broadband Technical Support (Newcastle) on 0800 028 0619 (you never got that from me :wink: )

ps do not forget to get the rebate for all the time you had poor speeds
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Thanks again Eagle, I will give them a call (assuming my telephone is working properly).

Am I the only one who is still having these problems?
yay!gosydenham!

you're not alone!

Post by yay!gosydenham! »

Hi all,
I've only just seen this thread and am experiencing the same problems.

My broadband is very slow and dips in and out of being able to connect. I too have had 3 visits from BT Openreach and today's engineer also told me it was the new software (I think he called it C21). He told me that lots of service providers were experiencing problems when they upgraded in March, implying that it was not one single service providers' problem. The lines themselves are fine, which is why when an Openreach engineer comes in and tests the line, it's showing good speeds. However, he says it's something to do at the server end, and the problem is the new software. This is the responsibility of the service provider, he says. I don't know if he's right or not, but I do know that Talktalk are blaming BT Openreach and BT Openreach are blaming Talktalk. It's crazy.
Any more lobbying that can be done or updates would be great.
Grrrrr
Thanks!
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Just to give you an update:-

Since my posting last week on 28 May 2010 (I have been told by BT BROADBAND that BT WHOLESALE should be replacing/fixing the equipment in Sydenham exchange this afternoon as I (and no doubt others) should notice an increase in their speed.)

My broadband speed has been rock solid 24 hours a day. I am getting approximately 17+ meg download and 1 meg (yes 1020 kbps) upload. ..........strange as I thought the max was only 888kbps

Download Speed
16798 Kbps

0 Kbps 99999 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 16798 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :19565 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1176 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 17000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 15.94:21.63:62.43 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

It works again, and great speeds too.

It came back up on 1 June, as promised.

Happy days
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

After about two months finally BT are not reporting any broadband problems on the Sydenham and Southbank Exchange.
I have to say the download and upload speeds I get are excellent. I have a cable run from the exchange of 1.4kms to my premises.
I have been monitoring this for the last few weeks carrying out speed checks during the day and evenings and I can honestly say that 99% of the time I get 16850 kbps downloads and 1022 kbps uploads.
The sites I use to check (not related to BT) are :-

http://pcpitstop.com/internet/bw.asp
http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/#
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/