Garden grabbing in SE26

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
scotchio

Garden grabbing in SE26

Post by scotchio »

I've just received a planning application stating the freeholder wants to build a 2 bedroom house in the back garden.
It was used as a car park for some time but has become overgrown.
Has anyone else had this happen to them and if so what was the opposition you used and eventual outcome?

Can I contact my MP as this seems to fly in the face of recent changes to government legislation which redefines gardens from ‘brownfield’ to ‘greenfield’.

Many thanks

Scott
Wispy Wonder

Re: Garden grabbing in SE26

Post by Wispy Wonder »

I'm the freeholder of the converted property I live in, and I can't make any changes or repairs to the communal areas without consultation and agreement with the leaseholders. I'd check the terms of your lease concerning the car park. He or she may be in breach, in which case you've got good ammo to prevent the development.

Where is this development though? I couldn't see it on the Lewisham planning website.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

This is still a tough call. Although Council's have been given additional guidance, how they regulate specific cases is open to interpretation.
I had a recent spat with Surrey Heath Borough Council over a development proposal. The developer wanted to demolish 2 detached houses with gardens and build 3 houses with gardens and a small block of flats.

In our objections we cited "garden grabbing", but were told that because the whole site was being developed, this wasn't garden grabbling. The development was approved.

Your case seems like you have a valid point.
Also I think perhaps Tim Lund had some information relating to densitiy of developments which may be of use.
scotchio

Post by scotchio »

We are 94 Crystal Palace park road, our council is Bromley so check there instead.
I'm interested if anyone else in the area has had this happened as I'm worried it could set a precedent in the area.

We've not heard a thing from the freeholder since they bought it late last year, they are'nt the communicative type! I've written to them on other matters and they have chosen to ignore all correspondence.
LivesNearby

Post by LivesNearby »

• Talk to the planning department at Bromley and ask for guidance
  • Get you neighbours to object
  • You could look at this article by Shelter on buying the freehold to see if you qualify, then you and the other flats would not be in this situation.
  • The Leaseholder Advisory Service may also be able to help.