WHAT IF no 13: BILLINGS Fishmongers & butchers

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Weeble

Re: WHAT IF no 13: BILLINGS Fishmongers & butchers

Post by Weeble »

Nice article.

Can I offer a bit of unsolicited advice to Amo, as I'd expect I'm in the target market for Billings (urban 'DINKY' who spends a lot of money on food).

-I don't regularly shop on the High Street (normally doing my weekly shop in Beckenham Waitrose) so I won't be regular passing trade, but if the shop is good and offering something I can't easily get elsewhere then I'll make the effort.
-As I won't be passing trade, I wouldn't mind being on an email list (perhaps once a month, occasional special offer, recipes, tips etc)
-Provenance/sustainability is important to me
-Opening later in the evening to get the commuters on their way home would be hugely helpful, even if only once a week.

Good luck - let us know when you're opening!
norwich_girl

Post by norwich_girl »

A late evening opening would be a brilliant idea! :D
multisync

Post by multisync »

But when is it opening?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It should be open in the next week or two, the final sign wont be up for a while due to the long lead times. The idea it to add the butcher a little while after opening once everything is up and running. I can't wait.
simon

Post by simon »

Is open now and looks good.
Unfortunately I'm all fished out right now but will buy some next week.
Good luck to them.
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

I've just been in. The stock looks good, with a lot of the old favourites represented (haddock, tuna, squid, mussels, mackerel, bass, mullet) as well as a few more exotic types (milk fish, red fish, carp). Prawns were cooked and scallops were out of shell, but that may just be an early days thing. (Personally I like scallops in shell, raw prawns, and clams.) There were also oysters, but I'll probably be looking into their type & provenance a little more closely when we hit the autumnal/winter months.

I completely forgot to ask about bones for fish stock. Ooops.

I am so pleased they're here!
randomv

Post by randomv »

Just been in and bought some fish for our tea and was very impressed! What a brilliant addition to the street - congrats and good luck to Amo and everyone involved - we will certainly be regular customers.

I hope that not too much stock goes to waste in these early days..it must be a fine line between offering enough stock to attract new customers and starting up a new business.
bag lady

Post by bag lady »

Mmmm just had sea bream bought from here, lovey and fresh. delicious.

This is a fabulous addition to the high street, it was busy today and rightly so.

The family running it are friendly and professional, the recipe card in the window is a great idea and the shop itself looks great.

So nice to shop locally!

Any chance of morecambe bay potted brown shrimps?!
multisync

Post by multisync »

will be down to look next week.Is it open on Mondays does anyone know?
poulet

Post by poulet »

I went in yesterday - shop looks good and as already mentioned the recipe card is a simple but excellent idea. Looked like it was quite busy.

Got some delicious monkfish for a reasonable price. Great shop for Sydenham and really looking forward to when the butchers opens as well.
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Fantastic shop - have already had some delicious sea bass (following the recipe card) and Mr Big Ben has had terrific kippers. Great start - and the shop looks brilliant too!
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Brilliant. On holiday right now but can't wait to inspect and purchase a bream .. guess word will spread but I hope they're advertising in C Palace/Beckenham/Forest HIll/East Dulwich ... I think this must be the only fishmongers locally? ... apart from being bloody delicious fish are healthy too. I like the recipe idea (I'm guessing they are handing out recipe cards or something?). Any uploaded photos to look at while I'm away people? - I know I don't ask for much.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

I also bought some excellent sea bass on Saturday. The shop is a great addition to the high street.
multisync

Post by multisync »

But what are the opening hours,Sometimes the shutter are half down with people inside,please clarify Amo?
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Last edited by mummycat on 18 Jul 2011 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Yep, I had some fish tonight. Amo and the Fishmonger really know their stuff. The recipe in the window for sea bass is great. I did it, but added leeks instead of Spring onions. The fish almost melted is was so delicate. They have great plans for the future too...and the sign is on order ;-)
amob

Post by amob »

Hello everyone,

I sincerely appreciate all the response, good or bad. Thankfully it seems to all be good at the moment. However if you have any complaints please feel free to send me a message to let me know what they are and I'll try my hardest to rectify them.

Currently our opening times are Monday to Saturday 9.00-6.30 and Sunday 9.30-4.30. These times will possibly change once we have an idea of the demand throughout the day.

If anybody has any special requests for fish please pop down and let us know, we'll see what we can do for you. (I hope this doesn't contravene any forum rules!)

Regards,
Amo.
LaHibernis

Post by LaHibernis »

A great addition to Sydenham Road. The recipe of the week idea is great for those of us who lack creativity in the fish-cooking department. I also appreciated having the additional ingredients all in the same place - it's like having a mini Waitrose on our doorstep! The display looked beautiful and very inspiring.

My only crit, which is actually very minor, is that I was in a hurry when I came in, doing a quick whizz around Sydenham before I picked up my eldest child, and filleting the sea bass seemed to take quite a long time. But having said that it was a great treat to see the whole fish that I was about to eat, so maybe I should leave a bit more time on my next visit!
amob

Post by amob »

Thanks for heads up; we have taken this into consideration and will now ensure the required fish for our recipe will be prepared, ready to go if you are in a hurry.
Regards,
Amo.
pocketpip

Post by pocketpip »

SO PLEASED to have our own fishmongers, we always walk into Beckenham for our fresh fish but they have funny opening hours! I grew up nr. Brixham in Devon so had always had lovely fresh fish and have really missed it since moving to London. I think the shop looks fab- such a bonus for Sydenham, loads of lovely things on offer, particularly pleased to see samphire and really friendly when I walked in today (unlike some of the other businesses on the high street!), I will be supporting you as much as I can Amo and hope that everyone else in Sydenham does too!