Work in Mayow Park cricket square starting Aug 25

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Work in Mayow Park cricket square starting Aug 25

Post by Tim Lund »

Congratulations to Peter Ranken for this!

BTW - apologies for the picture quality. Taken on my mobile rather than proper camera, and it was very blue, so I had to colour correct ...
mummycat

Re: Work in Mayow Park cricket square starting Aug 25

Post by mummycat »

Last edited by mummycat on 18 Jul 2011 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
perryman

Post by perryman »

Just how much space is this thing going to take up?
This is a busy and popular park.

And worse still, when a game is played, will the whole of this field be out of bounds for ordinary families - for 4/5 hours? - on a weekend?

This is (now) a densely populated area and there are plenty of cricket facilities up the road - this is not justified.

If there are spare funds then why not fix the paths.

I have to ask - do any of the members of the various committees actually visit the park?
If they did, it would be blatantly obvious where the priorities lie.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Last edited by mummycat on 18 Jul 2011 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Feakes

Post by Alex Feakes »

I cannot say how much cricket will be played and how much will be reserved for players, maintenance, etc. at this point, but I'm sure Envirowork will keep us informed with notices/timetables. A lot of use will be from local schools and youth groups who don't currently have access to sports fields.
I know that Catford & Cyphers Cricket Club (which incorporates the old Forest Hill cricket club and is based on Reubens Street, SE6, off Perry Hill) are looking at a regular hiring arrangement for the new pitch for use as one of their 'home' grounds. If it goes ahead, this should mean that the ground will be used at least every other weekend and during the season and probably a fair bit during the week in the first half for colts' matches.
perryman

Post by perryman »

thanks for your reply mummycat.

You say restoring Mayow Park to it's original use of a Recreation (ie cricket) Ground is quite a feat! I'm sure you are right, but do the local community want this? I must have missed this debate.

This park is in the Perry Vale ward and there are no other open spaces here. If a large part of the space is going to be monopolised by 11 men on many summer evenings and every other weekend, can you not see that this is very poor use of the space?

Currently far more people make use of the space for quite diverse recreation. Take a look: kite flying, football, Frisbee, rounders to name few and just running about. These are not organised sports, but they are not anti-social.

I've no objection (who could) for schools to use the park during the day, and you will know better than I why they largely stopped using it (poor drainage/lack of toilet/drinking water/changing room?).

I've nothing against cricket and thought it a shame the nets were allowed to go into disrepair (along with everything else). But allowing some nice chaps from catford say (where there is a massive space dedicated to cricket and many parks) to come over and play is not bringing anything to the area - in fact it is taking recreation space away from a deprived community.

You seem set on this mummycat, so despite your efforts, I wish you and Mike Gatting very limited success.
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

Well, I'm quite pleased to hear about the development of the Mayow Park cricket square. And if it's going to be "monopolised" by people who actually play cricket, so much the better.

It seems every time I open a paper I'm confronted with reports about how children aren't playing enough sport and are horrendously flabby and out of shape compared to children of previous generations. If they can see adults out and making a commitment to play sports regularly in a space that they'll also be using, I see that as an encouragement for them to get involved. (Cricket: it's not just for kids at school, you can play it later too!)

I am slightly suprised at the concept of each area of Sydenham have it's own park, I must say. I walk to at least 5 parks locally depending on what type of activities my children and I are looking for. For "general use and family stuff," I quite like going to Wells or Home Park. Mayow Park now has something that differentiates it from them. I'm glad it's not being left behind now that Home Park has its Adventure Playground and Wells still offers its great water park in the summer.