Sydenham Farmer's Market...??

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
lbere

Re: Sydenham Farmer's Market...??

Post by lbere »

Hi,

I have no idea how it works, but why not ask a school if you could 'hire' a playground once a month for the Market?
rebeccawilde

Post by rebeccawilde »

I bet Foresthill Boys would be open to discussions about it - they did that forestfest in an attempt to bring the community together and local businesses / restaurants had food. I heard it was a great success. The parking isn't too bad, you've got Dacres and all along Mayow which isn't too busy at weekends (compared to school days that is)

I think it would be fab to include other things besides food - art / crafts etc.

Keep us posted on how we can help!
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

What about Silverdale from where the old sorting office was to the main road. On the day of the market they could put no entry signs and divert all traffic through Mayor Road or the Thorpes :o :roll: :mrgreen:
lbere

Post by lbere »

People seem to be opposed to it being held on a public road which would lead to a road closure and problems for residents. A school playground or the like seem the best bet.
parklife

Post by parklife »

I think Home Park would be a good location for farmers market.
pip

Post by pip »

How about the forecourt of SG Smiths.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

pip wrote:How about the forecourt of SG Smiths.
Where would they put their vans? It's always full.
pip

Post by pip »

SG Smith has masses of empty space to the rear of the property. Also good location regarding public transport and free parking ( behind petshop )
But seriously, I couldnt imagine a Van dealership being interested unless it was to their advantage.
lbere

Post by lbere »

A park is no good in wet weather, peoples feet would be very muddy
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

pip wrote:SG Smith has masses of empty space to the rear of the property. Also good location regarding public transport and free parking ( behind petshop )
But seriously, I couldnt imagine a Van dealership being interested unless it was to their advantage.
I agree. They put the vans in the forecourt because that's their 'shop window'. On the days when there was a farmers' market it might look like the dealership had gone out of business.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

pip wrote:I think the car park behind the pet shop is owned by The Co op.
It's a Lewisham Council car park.
veevee

Post by veevee »

I have to agree that a car park or playground would be the ideal solution but my only concern is that we need to make sure, from the perspective of the stall owners, that we have addressed the "footfall" issue and proximity to cash links. Forest Hill Boys would be great but then we would be heavily reliant on a marketing campaign to make people aware of its existence. While somewhere closer to Sydenham Rd would benefit from a marketing campaign AND the passers-by market AND visibility from the high street...

SO with that in mind, I have spoken with the owner of Volkspares who seems to be supportive of giving up his forecourt to the cause -in principle- and I am going to meet with him the week after next. I did explain that at the moment there was no funding and so little chance of remuneration but that if he was willing to charge nothing during the "pilot period" then we could revisit the issue if it turns out that the market is a success with longterm prospects! I am also going to look into the Car Park behind the Pet Shop as this would also tick all the right boxes...especially if its owned by Lewisham Council...

Better than a kick in the teeth. No guarantees but watch this space...

Veevee

And remember to suggest this Facebook page to your friends and neighbours:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 2314869457
pip

Post by pip »

I spoke to the landlord of the Golden Lion Pub who said he might be interested in allowing the use of the Pub car park for a farmers market. Might be worth a word with him.
rebeccawilde

Post by rebeccawilde »

On the theme of pubs, maybe the Dolphin might be interested - they've got a small space in front but a pretty big garden in the back, they're close to the car park at the back of the pet shop too. I imagine it would bring in a lot of business
chrism

Post by chrism »

What became of plans for a farmers' market? Is it somthing that could be reconsidered as part of the high street upgrade?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bazman76

Post by Bazman76 »

I certainly hope so!
benchef

Post by benchef »

This is a brilliant idea. I would be well up for getting involved. I have a couple of connections with Eat St in Kings Cross, so that might be helpfull. Not sure if Eagles sour-grape stall would go down well though?

benchef

Post by benchef »

http://eat.st/kings-cross/

jonekt

Post by jonekt »

Ben chef, this looks really good. Do u think its possible to get something like this set up here in Sydenham?

chrism

Post by chrism »

I'm starting to look into it - I think it would be great. If anyone's interested in getting involved, please send me a PM. I know some people were investigating options last year. Ben Chef - will you have a chat with your contacts up in King's Cross?