crystal palace Race Track

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
will greenwood

crystal palace Race Track

Post by will greenwood »

marky.com

Re: crystal palace Race Track

Post by marky.com »

Here are a few 'then and now' photos I took of various parts of the circuit a couple of years ago - it's amazing how much of the circuit is still clearly visible. Old pictures are from the book Motor Racing at Crystal Palace, by Sam Collins.

Please note, the above image is incorrect, it will updated shortly.

Enjoy.

:)
Last edited by marky.com on 11 Nov 2010 23:29, edited 4 times in total.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

That's a fantastic comparative montage, Marky. Much obliged.
simon

Post by simon »

Yes, thanks marky,
I'll hold those images in my mind when I walk my dogs around there.
It is so peaceful there sometimes, particularly the path to the east of the lake as featured in the first photo, an its hard to imagine so much noise and so many people.
That said, sometimes when walking In Crystal Palace Park I am overwhelmed by its human history and the thought of so many people being there.
And not so long ago either.
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

Interesting comparison, but I think the one with the tower is wrong.

It's definitely the north tower, but the angle of the 'present day' picture would not match up, if the north tower was still standing. I think the original was taken when they had that extra loop in the track.

Kosmic Kartman

Post by Kosmic Kartman »

Takes me back a few years... well a lot of years really. I remember going to see the racing there as a small boy, and standing on a wooden R Whites crate to get a better view. I haven't missed a race meeting there since 1970 and I still go to the sprint meetings. Roll on May bank holiday 2011. I'll be there.

Here's a link to some pictures I took at the last meeting earlier this year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianbarn ... 080553405/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianbarn ... 204585372/
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Konqi wrote:Interesting comparison, but I think the one with the tower is wrong.

It's definitely the north tower, but the angle of the 'present day' picture would not match up, if the north tower was still standing. I think the original was taken when they had that extra loop in the track.

I think the reason why it looks wrong, is because the two pictures were taken in completely different places.

The original shows D H Scribban in his ERA, during the first heat of the 1937 Coronation Trophy (the first car race at the newly completed circuit) heading towards the apex of The Glade, having exited North Tower Crescent; the second picture is taken from the public access roads and car park area, which occupy the space roughly between the exit of Ramp Bend and Maxim Rise, looking towards South Tower Corner.

The original picture couldn't possibly have been taken from the inner loop; you couldn't get a head on shot of the car, with the tower virtually square on behind, because the track would be running in the wrong direction.

The only points where that picture could possibly have been taken on the loop, would either not have the tower in shot, or would put it to the far left of the photographer.
marky.com

Post by marky.com »

Apologies, I uploaded the wrong photo here. The 1937 one of Scribban should have been an old photo that was taken looking up to South Tower Corner from The Alley, just north of Maxim Rise - where the modern day one was taken. The photo (which was saved from somewhere or other on t'internet many moons ago) seems to have vanished, but I'll upload it when I find it.

Regarding the photo that was uploaded, my understanding is that Konqi is correct and that the photo from the first road racing meeting was taken from the inner loop, at the western-most point of the south side of New Zealand Hill, looking north-west towards Scribban heading south-east down New Zealand Hill after having just navigated Big Tree Bend, overlaid on the map below.

There's another in the book, shown below, that shows Raymond Mays at the same race just approaching Stadium Dip, with the same backround and you can see exactly where that original Scribban photo appears to have been taken from. Much of New Zealand Hill appears to remain as the link road from the sports centre to the Hexagonal Lodge Tower block (including most of Stadium Dip, plus the point where Stadium Curve joins with what subsequently became New Link is aligned with the access gates/gaps in the trees of New Link).

The current view from where the Scribban 1937 photo was taken is not really recognisable and is blocked by bushes, at the northern-most point of the triangular-shaped car park for the Lodge Tower block. I don't have a photo of it from that point (though I'll try next time I'm there), but you can see the bushes behind which that point is in the photo below, pretty much exactly where the lamp post is to the right of the tower block.

It's one of many endlessly fascinating historical aspects to this amazing park that many boroughs would cherish, celebrate and turn into some kind of visitor attraction that could provide revenue towards the upkeep of the park. Alas not here, though that's probably one for another thread.
dicktaylor

Post by dicktaylor »

Hi Marky, I was born Upper Norwood 1939 an saw my first Crystal Palace race (Motorcycle) in 1953. I fell in love with the Palace and MC racing. I also raced at the Palace. I collect race CP programmes pef 1950,s and never found m/c photos. Any suggestions where I might find some ?
Living only a mile from the track I still smell the castrol R and hear the thud of a Manx Norton or wine of a 125 bsa bantam. Cheers Dick (Bob Bunce)
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

As a lad I was a St John's ambulance cadet (C94 division - Elliot Bank) and the CP race circuit
was on our patch. I was lucky enough to get Saturday duties at some big racing events in the
late 60's which allowed me into the paddock completely gratis, must admit I wasn't much good
at first aid but totally fascinated by motor racing (cars / bikes).
I still have some programmes which I managed to get autographed by the likes of Jackie
Stewart, Graham Hill, Emerson Fitipaldi, Jochen Rindt, etc. I was enthralled by the whole atmosphere of the place no matter what size event from Kart racing, Motorcycles right up to Formula one!

Great and fond memories..