5-a-side footie

Home of 5-a-side footie and any other Sydenham Club who needs a forum for discussion or planning
Trickster

Re: 5-a-side footie

Post by Trickster »

Have a good game this week lads, I can't make it as I am off to the theatre but as a heads up from my point of view, 7:30pm would prove to be pretty much impossible for me due to work although 8 should be just about ok.
Swartie

Post by Swartie »

Count me in for 7:30pm this week, cheers.
bazwaldo

Post by bazwaldo »

I'm fine for 7:30 tomorrow at Goals.
Tarbs

Post by Tarbs »

Nice one, count me in for tomorrow
Fatbackfour

Post by Fatbackfour »

I said yes to 8.30 and can make 7.30
Powell

Post by Powell »

Bridge Leisure Centre Update:

I popped down last night to check out the pitch and it’s not too bad, it’s bigger than the pitch at GOAL’S which is a good thing but not really Astro turf and more like Tarmac (I have taken a photo and printed it out to show everyone tonight) but for the price of £32 I guess we can’t complain, as for availability I know they have a Monday 8:30 open for us, but I guess everyone will decide what they want to do tonight
Redhead

Post by Redhead »

Nice work Powell,

As appealing as tarmac is (and the lower price), myself and Steve wouldn't be able to make Monday nights so would be good if we didn't have to shift to then...

Do they have any other available reasonable slots throughout the week?
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Excellent game last night chaps. Best in a while, I think.

I expect Lem and I will step aside for the returning Gaffer. We didn't get round to voting on the future so I am not sure where we are...

I will throw the idea out there that whatever we decide to do I'm prepared for the distinct possibility that WE will need to block-book. My understanding with this is that you don't pay up-front but YOU would need to commit to attending the vast majority of the next 10 games, so that we can be sure of having the numbers each week for the 7s.

You are allowed to downgrade to a 5s with no penalty but no every week.

Just throwing it out there.
Donny

Post by Donny »

Chaps,

I had hoped to catch a few more of you in the bar last night to decide our fate...

We spoke with goals and Ulysses you are correct, block booking doesn't mean paying up front, but reserves first option on that slot each week, with a 24hour cancel option or downgrade without additional charges but only occasionally otherwise we lose priority. However Weds 8.30 7's pitch won't be available for several weeks, if at all.

Options available to vote on, in no particular order are:

Option 1
Wednesday 8.30 Goals on the fives pitch with a limit on players (first come first served basis or rolling subs) and hope the 8.30 7's slot comes available for block booking.

Option 2
Wednesday 9.30 Goals 7's pitch block booked for 10 weeks.

Option 3
Thursday 8.30 Goals 7's pitch block booked for 10 weeks.

Option 4
Monday 8.30 Kangley Bridge (Cheapest option)

Personally I can do all of the above, but am inclined to shoot for block booking the 7's either Weds 9.30 as I know we can ALL make it or Thursday 8.30 as its a better time slot. I'm also willing to ferry players form Syd station and back each week..

Can I have your preferences and availability please?

P.S when the evenings are brighter we could play in one of the many local parks, for free and for as long as we wanted...
biscuitman1978

5-a-side footie

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Welcome back, Donny.

I could do all of those options, but would prefer Option 3 (albeit with a view to reverting to Wednesdays if necessary).

Option 2 means a very late finish, so that ranks lowest in my list of preferred options.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Ditto. Would prefer option 3, then perhaps 2 with 1 & 4 not really rocking my world at all.
Redhead

Post by Redhead »

Option 3 far would be my preference.

Don't fancy option 4 despite the cheaper option as the playing surface don't look ideal, Option 1 wouldn't be ideal for everyone (especially given the increased interest recently) & Option 2 wouldn't be feasible for most coming from outside Sydenham given the distance...

Another one for Option 3.
Swartie

Post by Swartie »

I travel back to Cheltenham on a Thursday Gents so Option 3 is the only one I can't do.
Marathon

Post by Marathon »

Im in next weeK - I can do all of those options but would prefer an 8:30 kick off. I got in touch with Catford Power League today just to see what Goals real competitor charged. Their 5's pitch is £42. They also have a 7's but I don't know what they charge got that. Only problem is getting there for some.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Powell

Post by Powell »

Guys just got off the phone to Kangley Bridge and they can do tuesday's 8-9 for us if thats any good, so maybe thats another option?
chrelcombe

Post by chrelcombe »

Preferably not option 2 for me - getting a bit late. Or option 4, really (only because of the surface though).

Happy to vote for option 3, although as previous attendance shows, I'm unable to make it every week - probably 1 in 2, on average. Also, worth bearing in mind that, despite current high numbers, there are times in the year when it's much more difficult to get beyond 9 or 10 players. As long as we time the block bookings right (avoiding July/August, for example), I guess we can work round this. Thanks to all for research so far...
cyclesteve

Post by cyclesteve »

Option 3 gets the thumbs up from me, dont really fancy the late kick off option or the first come first serve choice, failing the Thursday game ill happily settle for the Bridge.
I do agree with looking at another decent local site, the Power pitches at Catford look ok and im sure between us we could accomodate lifts for those who need them.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I wouldn't feel safe going to Catford. It makes even Penge look like Knightsbridge. And anywhere that has PCSOs/wardens posted to keep order when just the school children leave school, well, I'm not convinced I would like to walk among them when they're bigger*.

But it's not that which I'm mainly concerned about; it's that fact that even for the drivers it takes ages to negotiate the road that leads on to the S. Circular - we'd need to factor in at least 15odd minutes extra for when the traffic is backed up from that church. Plus, some people cycle and walk to Copers Cope Road, Catford is a bit too far to do this?

* I don't care how snobby that sounds.
Donny

Post by Donny »

Thanks for your input so far. Time is against us to secure a booking and I need answers from the rest before we make a call:

bazwaldo
Powell
Tarbs
Diamondmaker
Fatbackfour
sydders
Middlesbrough
Trickster
Joe Pineapples
Anyone else I've missed???

your prefered options please:

Option 1
Wednesday 8.30 Goals on the fives pitch with a limit on players (first come first served basis or rolling subs) and hope the 8.30 7's slot comes available for block booking.

Option 2
Wednesday 9.30 Goals 7's pitch block booked for 10 weeks.

Option 3
Thursday 8.30 Goals 7's pitch block booked for 10 weeks.

Option 4
Monday 8.30 Kangley Bridge (Cheapest option)
Powell

Post by Powell »

i would say either option 2,3 or 4 is good, i wouldn't go with option 1

maybe for one week, we can find out who can make a monday (or tuesday 7-8)and try out the pitch at kangley bridge, unless it stops members from coming then i guess thats no good but might be worth giving it a trail for one week? what do you guys think?

but as for a late wednesday thats fine with me and thrusday is also good

alex