Greyhound to be run by owners of East Dulwich Tavern, etc.

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Greyhound to be run by owners of East Dulwich Tavern, etc.

Post by Tim Lund »

leenewham

Re: Greyhound to be run by owners of East Dulwich Tavern, et

Post by leenewham »

Yes Tim, I saw this. It's great news. While I'm sure some will say 'ohh, but it will take trade away from the Dolphin', it may also bring more people onto the high street who otherwise may not have ventured here. Evening passing trade in Sydenham isn't great. We need more vibrant businesses in the high street to achieve this.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I agree, Lee. I'd guess Michael - Dolphin landlord - is a bit nervous, but the overall effect is going to be positive, and I wouldn't mind betting it also helps the Dolphin.
syd

Post by syd »

Great news. I went to the Dolphin twice and got really bad service 3 years ago I havent been back since.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Does anyone have access to the plans for the Greyhound?

I ask because the ground floor area has been significantly reduced with the demolition of the lounge that overlooked the wobbly roundaboout. Without re-arrangement the drinking area could be quite small. Most people stood watching Chelsea et al on the Sky screem in the old days so you could still pack in a fair crowd. If they adopt a Dolphin style sofa/chairs/tables format the numbers could be somewhat small and difficult to make a profit on.

Sitting outside was always a nice choice in summer but that tends to be the exception rather than the rule ...

Stuart
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Glad to see the article in the OP link refer to 'Cobb's Corner' as opposed to 'Kirkdale Corner' as announced on buses' PA systems now.

Naturally :wink: I never saw the old dept store but it was certainly a lovely building (stressing the 'was')
http://sydenhamforesthillhistory.blogsp ... enham.html
DanW

Post by DanW »

This is great news - I think Antic were the same people who bought the site next to the DIY store opposite the Greyhound to build a bar. Pleased to see they have been able to make use of the refurbed Greyhound site instead.
robor2b102

Post by robor2b102 »

I hope this will make the Dolphin try a little harder. Their food is currently underwhelming and over priced, unlike the EDT which is actually a far more competent kitchen and sells at lower prices than the Dolphin. The Dolphin has potential, but lacks warmth. I'm hoping some stiff competition will help it improve...I really like the EDT's offer.
michael

Post by michael »

The same chain is opening a pub/restaurant in the old Post Office on Dartmouth Road
http://www.sylvanpost.com/
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I think it sounds great, I think the offering from the new pub will be slightly different from the Dolphin, which I like and is my local, and both businesses will do well. There is definitely room for more than two (Dolphin and Golden Lion) decent pubs (in my eyes) in Sydenham and one at the top and two at the bottom, providing different things, will suit just fine.

G-Man
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

I presume the new Pub is where the old tiles from the former " drinking corridor" are to be reinstated ? That would make a fantastic centre peice to the venue
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

This is excellent news, as that will be en-route from the station to home for me!

Not that Westow House is the best example of a pub, but it's better than many.

The area will look nice once development is complete and the high street is regenerated (any news on this?).
dickp

Post by dickp »

Darn it, now what am I going to do? I love Westow House.

I wonder if the Greyhound will be dog-friendly, like Westow House is. It really should be, given the name...
simon

Post by simon »

dickp wrote:I wonder if the Greyhound will be dog-friendly, like Westow House is. It really should be, given the name...
I do hope so as I've got two greyhounds here who fancy a pint :lol:

This sounds like good news to me and I'm looking forward to it. The only other of their pubs I'm familiar with is the Dogstar in Brixton. Had many good nights in there.
Nature Boy

Post by Nature Boy »

Westow House is not one of Antic's best examples IMO but they also own the White Hart in CP (better) plus the Balham Bowls Club and Tooting Tram and Social (superb both). In both the latter cases, some sympathetic renovations. With the bowls club, hell they've pretty much left it as is.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

That's great news. I don't think it'll make much difference - they're at distinctly different ends of the high street and a lot more people will stay local rather than heading off to Lordship Lane or C Palace. Will make big difference to the 'feel' of Sydenham High Street. Dolphin a great boozer but totally room for two decent bars. (In fact it might get a few Forest Hillbillies wandering down too, which I doubt they do right now)
rbmartin

Post by rbmartin »

Hill Dweller wrote:Glad to see the article in the OP link refer to 'Cobb's Corner' as opposed to 'Kirkdale Corner' as announced on buses' PA systems now.
The buses don't even mention any reference to the corner, the bus stops at Cobbs are now called the generic "Sydenham Station - Kirkdale" on the 122, 176 and 197.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

I jolly well hope you've been on every bus that ran today!

Join me in blaming estate agents then :idea:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Kirkda ... =firefox-a
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

Having a rival gastro bar to the Dolphin would be great news! Lets hope the staff at this new bar at the Greyhound site are properly trained and actually enjoy their jobs in the hospitality industry and working with people (which is more than I can say for the Dolphin staff - totally dire customer service, treating customers with contempt (well that's been my experience and the experience of many other Sydenham folk). But staying positive, am looking forward to this new development. :D
Marathon

Post by Marathon »

I must be goingto a different Dolphin then 'cos I've never experienced anything other than courtesy and respect as a customer.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image