Places in Catford

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
chazmaestro

Places in Catford

Post by chazmaestro »

My birth certificate for 20 October 1936 shows me being born at 390 High Street, sub-district Catford and my mother residing at 6 Hurst Cottages. Does anyone know whetherthese addresses still exist as things have changed so much in that area?
Falkor

Re: Places in Catford

Post by Falkor »

I'll have a look tonight when I get home from work...
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Well, what do you know? There I was today, working hard,thinking about STF and thinking to myself how I used to look forward to getting home from work and logging on to see the latest installment of the history of our area involving contributions from Steve Grindlay (remember him), Falkor, Tulse Hill Terry, etc,etc. The topics ranging from the Palace to the Croydon canal to the atmospheric railway together with various before and after photos kept the forum alive and made the "Town Museum" a category not to be missed.Every day there would be new places or buildings that would demand an answer to their background or heritage. So why has this said category become almost as extinct as the subjects that once dominated our beloved locality. Have the above pseudonyms exhausted their knowledge of the area or do they bestow their historical virtues on other websites? Come on Falkor, start the ball rolling! Answer me this. What is the oldest surviving building in the Sydenham area? May I also suggest a "Museum Quiz" of some description, anything to liven up, what is becoming a very neglected and somewhat dreary category.
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

Only the future is infinite . . . . . .
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Sorry guys, my research into Southeast London is currently on hold until I sort out my wedding and other problems in my life, which is needing ever more responsibility, so I have very little free time lately. Does anyone know any registry offices in or around Sydenham and Forest Hill by any chance? :D

Still, I think we are running out of topics to discuss these days, as most things have already been covered in old threads. I'm sure the answer to the oldest surviving building in Sydenham is already lurking in a potential dynamic search result to be generated somewhere based around this site.

Anyway, back on topic... Hurst Cottages would seem to have been off Loampit Vale somewhere? It's not obvious on any maps, so the best thing would be to visit Lewisham Local studies and check their directories. There also might be a photograph available.

390 High Street is presumably Lewisham High Street(?), and that end of the High Street is more in Catford joining onto Rushey Green. If so, it could be this terrace:

However, by combining sources and making an educated guess, the above terrace may actually have been numbered something like 388-384 High Street, so that would make 390 none other than Lewisham Hospital (the extension of the old workhouse)!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Welcome back Falkor, it's been too long!

Great images. Do you have any of Bell Green by any chance?
chazmaestro

Post by chazmaestro »

Thanks to everyone for their comments and photos regarding places in Catford.