Tudor and Seymour Lodge, Kirkdale history

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
krowman

Tudor and Seymour Lodge, Kirkdale history

Post by krowman »

I moved to Hassocks close last year and have been looking into the history of the area, using this forum and historic maps.
I have noticed that two lodges used to be where Hassocks close is now, these were Tudor Lodge and Seymour Lodge. I have seen them on maps dating back to 1860's and up to the war, but have relatively little info on them or their history and I haven't seen them on any photos.
Does anyone know anything about them?
Robin Orton

Re: Tudor and Seymour Lodge, Kirkdale history

Post by Robin Orton »

Welcome, Krowman. I live quite near you, in Radlet Avenue.

You may already have seen this, but just in case you haven't:
There were six large houses in the upper part of Kirkdale. The older three, on the west side, dated from the early 1820s. The one still standing is Milverton Lodge which was part of the Mount Gardens development. The more substantial houses on the eastern side were the work of a builder named James Hunt, who had his office in Idol Lane near the Tower of London. That was in the parish of St Dunstan in the-East, which received an allotment of the common because of its charity estates - the site of St Dunstan's College and others - elsewhere in Lewisham. The parish authorities leased the allotment to Hunt, who built himself the mansion called Woodthorpe between 1830 and 1833. The house has given its name, curiously inverted, to Thorpewood Avenue. Hunt then bought or leased adjoining plots, and built various houses and cottages on them between 1833 and his death in 1869. The earliest and most prominent were Tudor Lodge and Seymour Lodge, built in the mid-1830s between Woodthorpe and Charlecote Grove.

(John Coulter, Sydenham and Forest Hil Past (London: Historical Publications Ltd, 1999) p. 90.)

I am myself particularly interested in Woodthorpe House, which Coulter (p. 119) says was 'the teenage home' of G.E. Moore, 'one of the more distinguished of modern philosophers'. I wrote an essay about his demolition of the 'naturalistic fallacy' in moral philosophy more years ago than I care to remember! I'd welcome information about that as well.
krowman

Post by krowman »

Thanks Robin, I hadn't read that at all, must get a hold of that book. I'm still trying to get down to Kirkdale bookshop and see what is in there, but too busy to even get down the road.
But that helps me out on when they were built. Thanks
krowman

Post by krowman »

Has anybody any other details about this part of Kirkdale?
I cannot find much about these two lodges other than what is already in this post.
My house must be in the garden area of one of them but i'm not sure which one.