Keen running nuts in Sydenham?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
SydenhamHillAndy

Keen running nuts in Sydenham?

Post by SydenhamHillAndy »

Hi all,

I've seen the success of the cycling nuts thread and wondered if we have any other keen runners here at Sydenham Towers.

I do the regular 5k parkrun down at Crystal Palace Park and I'm aware of the Crystal Palace Funrunners and Triathletes. Just wondering if there is anything else going on for runners in the area?

I've a half-marathon in a month and I've got my place for next year's London Marathon. Is there anyone out there who'd like an occasional Sunday morning long run who, like me, would like the change of having a running buddy occasionally?

If you see me running out and about in Sydenham give me a nod. Usually sporting a beard and usually a day-glo top of one sort or another. As of yet, I've resisted the temptation to wear lycra....
cyclesteve

Re: Keen running nuts in Sydenham?

Post by cyclesteve »

Andy .... Embrace the Lycra, welcome it into your life ;-)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I notice Dulwich Park Runners are starting their beginners course very shortly - more details on their website at:
http://www.dulwichparkrunners.co.uk/site/?page_id=8
stuart

Post by stuart »

And Crystal Palace Fun Runners have a beginners course every Monday @ 7.30pm starting at the Paxton statue in the Park. Just turn up and introduce yourself. There are groups for more advanced runners on Mondays & Wednesdays. The important word is Fun.

http://crystalpalacefunrunners.co.uk/

Stuart
Search East

Post by Search East »

Andy, if you're at the Crystal Palace Park Run this Saturday, I'll be there.

Look for the guy in the orange trainers (still unsure of the colour) and complaining of a slight injury and not being able to train enough for a marathon next month. (Still stupidly doing it though, involves going to Amsterdam!) :D
SydenhamHillAndy

Hi Search East,

I'm on child-rearing duty this Saturday so I will miss it but I'll be sure to say hi next time I'm out.

Orange trainers? Us runners certainly make odd fashion choices at times......
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Cool I'll be up for some CP running action. I'll download an application form.
SB
Search East

Post by Search East »

Before I forget (and a bit of a plug), but…
HHH_SC_XC_logo.jpg
Anyone looking to challenge themselves on a off road race should consider the 3rd, 6 mile Streatham Common XC Race. Saturday 17th September 2011, race starts at 11 am, kids 1 mile race at 10:30 am.

Organised by Herne Hill Harriers, the 4 lap course takes on the hilly parts of Streatham Common (that's pretty much most of it to be honest :wink: ) and provides a good challenge for runners of all levels. Water is provided on the course, regular running shoes will be fine, but you may need to give them a clean afterwards.

Entry via the Runners World website at:
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/vi ... =60763&ms=

£8 for affiliated runners (those belonging to UKA registered athletic clubs) and £10 unaffiliated. Entries on the day (if available) £13. 200 places maximum.

Please give yourself plenty of time to be warmed up and ready to go at 11 am. The common is well served by many bus routes and two nearby train stations (Streatham and Streatham Common).

T-shirt and goody bag for all runners, plus prizes and post race presentations at the Pied Bull Pub. :)
Cheers

http://www.hernehillharriers.org/
Search East

Post by Search East »

Hi Andy,

Forgot to check on Saturday, but were you at the Crystal Palace Park Run?

It's been nearly 2 months since I was last able to make the Park Run, a shock to the legs and the system was one way of putting it! :D

You mentioned forms of day-glo tops, well you weren't running into Forest Hill tonight down Dartmouth Road were you? I was heading home from central London and spotted a runner on the other side of the road in a day-glo jacket? :)
SydenhamHillAndy

Hi Search East, I had the Windsor Half-Marathon on Sunday so I avoided Parkrun this week. Probably there on Saturday so please say Hi. If they aren't sporting a fetching beard and day-glo then it wouldn't be me! What time did you get?
Search East

Post by Search East »

How did you get on in the Windsor Half?

Got round in 19:57 coming 7th, so not the worst time, but 7 secs off my PB for that course.

I'm away this weekend, so can't make the Park Run, but will be at the one the week after, which will be my last one before the Amsterdam Marathon on the 16th, which is coming up a bit too quickly! :)
Search East

Post by Search East »

Just a note to all runners, detail link below for the Frank Harmer 10K, at Brockwell Park on 04.03.12. Cheers

http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5763