The Dolphin

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Greg Whitehead

The Dolphin

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Unless someone wishes to state otherwise T.D. re-opens tomorrow? Now, for me, this is the best news I've heard regarding the High Street in my five years as a homeowner in Sydenham.

Therefore, I will be there to sample a few of the ales and give the kitchen some practice (which I assume is the whole point of a 'soft' opening on a week-night before the weekend crush?). Should anyone I know already from the forum wish to join me here's my mobile number 07801 194177 - Stuart I have pm'd you.

Of course, it's not what we do tomorrow night that will ensure a success for Michael and Violeta but for all the nights following but it'd be good to give a resounding 'first night'. It's time for all of us to come out and support after years of "we've got some £ but nowhere local to spend it"?

I'll be in a dark blue suit wearing black specs and I've got dark hair (for those wishing to use the rotten tomatoes left over from it's previous incarnation :wink:). Be good to finally meet alot of you!

P.S. If I'm drinking alone then I guess I deserve it!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If the doors do indeed open Monday - there will be a special STF editorial conference starting at 8pm sharp. I am confidently informed that 'Old Speckled Hen' will be on draught. A pint or three for your Admin will guarantee a seat on the board even if your name is Greg Whitehead.

Looking forward to seeing you all there! I'll be wearing a pink FT ...
TDA

Post by TDA »

The lights haven't arrived, we are short of chairs, the paint is wet, the music system is missing some vital parts and the rubbish is yet to be cleared. But, the place looks fabulous, we have beer and the kitchen is ready so we will open today as close to 5pm as possible. The rule is that if you are open for business you are open for criticism, but may I beg a little patience whilst the staff and the building get to know each other.

We will be opening at 5pm for the next few days to allow the builders to add the finishing touches. They are a local firm and have been incredibly helpful, working extremely hard to enable us to meet the tight deadline we set ourselves. Our thanks to Greg Morgiel and the team.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

I'll be there.
Best of luck The Dolphin.
If it's anything like TDA we've got ourselves a great bar in good old Sydders.
SB
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

admin wrote:If the doors do indeed open Monday - there will be a special STF editorial conference starting at 8pm sharp. I am confidently informed that 'Old Speckled Hen' will be on draught. A pint or three for your Admin will guarantee a seat on the board even if your name is Greg Whitehead.

Looking forward to seeing you all there! I'll be wearing a pink FT ...
Are you intimating that the board of STF would not be embellished by someone like Greg Whitehead?

Good point well made. Think I maybe a tad too confrontational for the board although as Fishcox pointed out "without friction nothing moves" and I do feel we're a bit full of hot-air and not militant enough in many or enough of the matters that we get upset about.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Greg Whitehead wrote:Are you intimating that the board of STF would not be embellished by someone like Greg Whitehead?
I was intimating that EVERY STF member is very welcome to share a drink with me at 8pm this evening - or even each other if anyone else turns up. Relax, enjoy the Dolphin and the company.

There really is no other agenda ;-)

Admin (with the pink FT)
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

admin wrote:
Greg Whitehead wrote:Are you intimating that the board of STF would not be embellished by someone like Greg Whitehead?
I was intimating that EVERY STF member is very welcome to share a drink with me at 8pm this evening - or even each other if anyone else turns up. Relax, enjoy the Dolphin and the company.

There really is no other agenda ;-)

Admin (with the pink FT)
Hear!, Hear!

I was being glib sorry Admin, I had inferred correctly first time out. Are you sure an FT will be so noticable in the new Dolphin? Maybe in the old Dolphin it would have made you stand out> :wink:

I shall be wearing a royal-blue suit, I have dark hair and am six-foot with a Scottish accent (so yes, no distinguishing features of note).

I'll have to get a pink carnation or something.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Greg and Admin - look forward to seeing you later. We've arranged to get down there at 6.30pm with a group of people. Let's hope there are some seats left by 8pm!
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Same to you Nasaroc. Looking forward to meeting you finally.

I should be through the doors with a big smile on my face at about 7.
aidy_b

Post by aidy_b »

I'm stuck at work and it looks like I'll miss the first night. Will have to make up for it in the next few weeks.
Hope it all goes well - for drinkers and staff.
I'll be in a dark blue suit wearing black specs and I've got dark hair
Greg, are you really David Gest? :shock:
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Good luck to 'em, I hope they can make it work. Went down there at 7, I think they've done a good job... I just hope you lot put your money where your mouth is and keep it going.
Last edited by nork1 on 8 Aug 2007 02:14, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

aidy_b wrote:I'm stuck at work and it looks like I'll miss the first night. Will have to make up for it in the next few weeks.
Hope it all goes well - for drinkers and staff.
I'll be in a dark blue suit wearing black specs and I've got dark hair
Greg, are you really David Gest? :shock:
I'm not really sure who that is aidy_b but Katherine (my partner) tells me it's Lisa Minelli's old man and he's been on one of those "Get me out of here" things. I dunno. Ask those who met me tonight if I've got some of him about me...
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

OK. I'd just like to say thank you to the owners, staff and builders of T.D. for the best night out yet I've had in Sydenham. I appreciate Jan'07 is when it starts in earnest but I had a great night and cannot wait until it is finished.

It was great also to meet (in order of importance, the sycophant - ceasefire Pat?) Pat Trembath, Steve Grindlay, Admin, Annabel_McLaren, Nasaroc, biscuitman1978 (and no you don't look older than my cheap broadside), Sydenhamboy. Anyone I missed or have forgotten in my tipsy state I apologise. And I haven't forgotten Andy & Cassie (?) who I met early on who just couldn't resist the temptation of the Two Half's... :shock:

Hopefully you all had a great night also.

And to solondon1972, sydenhamboy is considerably hairier than you !
JAKES ANGEL

Post by JAKES ANGEL »

Am I right in assuming The Dolphin did actually open last night after all ?
I only ask because when I drove past yesterday at approx 6:00pm it did'nt seem to be open at all. I then telephoned the Dartmouth Arms for further confirmation (directory enquiries could'nt locate a listing for The Dolphin) where a less than knowledgable staff member advised me that it was meant to open but he didnt know if it had. I then asked him for the telephone number of The Dolphin only to be told he didnt know it. At this point I thought i'd chance my arm a little further, I asked if he was in a position to check with a more senior staff member as to the current state of play. He said he would take my number and call me back. At last a breakthrough, he then called me back at approx 8:30pm where he confirmed the pub would not actually be open at all that night. I therefore settled down for the night only to find out the pub actually appeared to open after all. Apologies for the long winded posting but my partner and I were really looking forward to opening night if indeed it did open.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

We'd walked past on Sunday to see the place crawling with builders and decorators so we were very pleased to find the Dolphin open for business last night, and looking good!

Me and the other half had a bit of think about what we'd do to the place and we decided what was needed is:

- sofas! so much space, and everyone loves sofas.

-some more interesting lighting. Loved the lights round the bar but something nice hanging lights (big 30's style chandelier?) would look great in the sections to either side.

- some pictures on the walls

- a few bits and pieces to soften the overall look - maybe some soft furnishings or vases of flowers.

(sorry we got a bit carried away with ourselves! :oops: )

Didn't have chance to try the food but thought the menu looked really interesting and hopefully good value.

We'll be back very soon :D
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

And to solondon1972, sydenhamboy is considerably hairier than you ![/quote]

Hey thanks for your support Greg W!
And there is an element of pot/kettle/black type scenarios with solodon1972!
Jolly good evening last night - very nice bunch of people to chat with - great days ahead for the Dolphin - it was looking cool. I agree - it's big enough for a couple of sofas - that's just what's needed.
Going to check out the food on Friday - it looked v nice.

And keep me in the loop tennis wise. I'm obviously gonna have to burn off extra Sydenham pints in the new year!! SB
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Weeble wrote:
Me and the other half had a bit of think about what we'd do to the place and we decided what was needed is:

- sofas! so much space, and everyone loves sofas.

-some more interesting lighting. Loved the lights round the bar but something nice hanging lights (big 30's style chandelier?) would look great in the sections to either side.

- some pictures on the walls

- a few bits and pieces to soften the overall look - maybe some soft furnishings or vases of flowers.
Nah... what it needs is:

Half a dozen TV's with SkySports showing all live games.
A couple of pool tables.
Karaoke.
Obnoxiously loud R'n'b.

What more could you ask for? :wink:
obscura

Post by obscura »

I haved lived in Sydenham for the last year and a half and have been really excited at the prospect of The Dolphin takeover. I'm really pleased to report that I had a really good couple of pints of London Pride at the opening last night. Well done to all involved in getting The dolphin open on time.

Food looked really good. What about some freebie tasters to get our mouths watering.

Lastly, I got home last night and something was missing. The smell of smoke! Really pleased that you have opened up as non-smoking (I'm a non smoker). I for one will be back for more!
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

obscura wrote:I haved lived in Sydenham for the last year and a half and have been really excited at the prospect of The Dolphin takeover. I'm really pleased to report that I had a really good couple of pints of London Pride at the opening last night. Well done to all involved in getting The dolphin open on time.

Food looked really good. What about some freebie tasters to get our mouths watering.

Lastly, I got home last night and something was missing. The smell of smoke! Really pleased that you have opened up as non-smoking (I'm a non smoker). I for one will be back for more!
It's wonderful isn't it Weeble not to reek of foul smoke when you leave T.D? Personally I wouldn't have even made provision for smokers as Michael & Violeta have done with the heated smoking area but they know better than I.

I dropped in last night again under the made-up premise that I thought I had left my glasses there on opening night... :wink:

I keep pinching myself that finally rather than going out to the TDA or (as I USED to do 99% of the time) going out where I work in town there's a bar that cater to my tastes and standing here in Sydenham and there's a bar that's full of like-minded individuals - if you follow.

I did notice two of the previous clientele made an entrance and looked utterly bewildered at what the fare on offer was (I noticed them being walked through the menu step-by-step) and I heard them moaning about the price, they certainly didn't seem to enjoy the new and improved Dolphin - GOOD. At least they'll spread the message amongst their kin and social circles. I'm sorry Leaf but I am not catered for nor are my tastes taken into the equations of those who run all the ther bars in Sydenham. It doesn't mean I'm saying that they won't be welcome Leaf, they just won't really fit in - there's no chicken in a basket or Stella.

I'm even going to take some friends out on Friday night and have them meet me in Sydenham - we'll go out to T.D. as opposed to having a dinner party at mine! Rather than be embarrassed and agree to meet them at DWH or somewhere else.

I had a thought that maybe it's all some terrible prank and that they'll pull down a curtain and T.D. will revert to a hovel with feral delinquent teenagers running amok and Burberry check festooned everywhere...*SCREAM* I might have to pop in again tonight for a swift one or two, just for research purposes to make sure it's not a sick joke you understand :wink:
Last edited by Greg Whitehead on 13 Dec 2006 11:21, edited 3 times in total.
Belle

Post by Belle »

I had the fish pie last night, and it was very yummy! :D