Big Brother's Big Brother? More CCTV!

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Paddy Pantsdown

Big Brother's Big Brother? More CCTV!

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Just noticed a *new* CCTV at the Cobbs Corner roundabout - on the lampost by the bicycle stands.

Its only 30 yds from the next CCTV column and they were both looking at the same stretch of road. What is going on?

I thought it had been firmly established that CCTV was poor value in preventing crime and yet is someone is spending more of our money on just this?

The original hideously bulky CCTV posts were supposedly justified as needing to create a stable platform. Yet the new one is lightly clamped to an ordinary lampost.

Is it just me who feels uneasy about all this Big Brother stuff without consultation or apparent accountability?

Or am I being paranoid and the new cam is just a stunt by the Sydenham Society to spot any new activity on the zebra crossing?

I think we should be told ....
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Well this is really weird. I wrote the above report when I went to the Bank at 3pm.

When I went to the Station at 8pm - the camera had GONE!

It was a normal CCTV in a white housing with the number '7' on the side. The bracket was brand new. Now nothing to show it was ever there.

I wonder what is going on that this mysterious camere with nothing to identify who the operator is - could so quietly come and go....
Adam

Lampost mounted CCTV

Post by Adam »

Hi,

The CCTV you refer to is probably ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Reader) which are installed on a temporary basis. Either by a traffic police car equipped with ANPR, A white van with its rear covers open and CCTV cameras poking out, or in existing CCTV camera spots.

Check out

http://www.cambs.police.uk/camops/anpr/what.asp

Cant find any for the Met, this is the best page for info really.

The Met have a number of ANPR vans, drive down Newlands park by Tannsfeld Road, the police vans you see parked in the yard in the left and a mixture of ANPR vans and others. They usually dont have blue lights on then as they don't respond to emergency calls. They have ANPR fixed to traffic cars, but because these are so few and far on the ground they often dont use APNR at checkpoints, but catch motorists as they drive along. The technology is constantly checking against the various enforcement agencies computers, it can check a wide angle from parked cars to cars the other side of the road. The technology is great, not so great if you have something to hide.

Quite often Central London, New Cross, Catford and other areas benefit from these checks locally. The checkpoints are usually about 1/2 a day each I think, moving around to cover the widest possible geographical location.

Hope this helps,

A