Festival of Empire 1911 by "ROTARY."

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
tulse hill terry

Festival of Empire 1911 by "ROTARY."

Post by tulse hill terry »

This thread covers all I have or know of, the series of postcards of the Festival of Empire, Crystal Palace in 1911, by the publishers "Rotary."

6799-1 Birds Eye View from the Tower of Canadian Parliament
House.

6799-2 Birds Eye View North Aspect.

6799-3 Birds Eye View North Aspect.

6799-4 New Bandstand and Centre Walk

6799-5 Centre Walk with Australian and New Zealand Pavilions.

6799-6 Canadian Parliament House

6799-7 South Africa

6799-8 New Zealand Pavilion

6799-9 South Africa Parliament House

6799-10 Newfoundland Parliament House.

6799-11 Archipelago North Tower Gardens.

6799-12 The Joy Wheel.

6799-13 The Canadian Parliament House.

6799-14 The Sugar Plantation.

6799-15 Native Hut.

6799-16 Pageant Ground and Amphitheatre.

6799-17 General View of the Grounds.

6799-18 The Bandstand.

6799-19 Indian Court.

6799-20 All Red Route Railway.

6799-21 ?

6799-22 Mountain Railway.

6799-23 Promenade.

6799-24 The Bandstand.

http://www.hood.de/auction/29186434/cry ... l-1911.htm

6799-25 Canadian Parliament House.

6799-26 The Promenade.

6799-27 Birds Eye View of the Amphitheatre.

6799-28 The Indian Court.

6799-29 Coaster and River Caves.

6799-30 Areo Ground.

6799-31 Bostocks Zoological Congress.

6799-32 ?

6799-33 Departure of Pilgrim Fathers.

6799-34 Charles I. on his State Barge.

6799-35 General View.

6799-36 The Pageant of London. Scene 2. Part 3. Dancing Before the King and Queen.

6799-37 The Pageant of London. Scene 4. Part 4. The Treaty of Waitangi.

6799-38 The Pageant of London. Scene 5. Part 3. Taking Charles I. to be Executed.

6799-39 The Pageant of London. Scene 5. Part 4. The United Empire Loyalists.

6799-40 The Pageant of London. Scene 7. Part 4. The Masque Imperial.

6799-41 The Pageant of London. Scene 7. Part3. Bartholomews Fair.

6799-42 The Pageant of London. Scene 6. Part 4. The Embassy of Sir Thomas Roe.

6799-43 The Pageant of London. Scene 4. part 3. Fire of London.

6799-44 The Pageant of London. Scene 5. Part 3. Rejoicing after the Fall of Quebec.

6799-45 The Pageant of London. Scene 6. Part 3. Rejoicing after the Battle of Trafalgar.

6799-46 The Pageant of London. Scene 7. Part 2. Dancers performing before Queen Elizabeth.
Last edited by tulse hill terry on 19 Oct 2012 07:36, edited 6 times in total.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Some very nice views there, in decent quality, including a couple I haven't seen before. Cheers mate! My fav is this one:
Have you anymore showing the all red route? I would like to see a decent pic of the all red route heading towards the south terminal tower; it was published in the new crystal palace matters. Not sure who the original publisher was though...
tulse hill terry

Have you anymore showing the all red route? I would like to see a decent pic of the all red route heading towards the south terminal tower; it was published in the new crystal palace matters. Not sure who the original publisher was though...
You mean the illustration on page 8, #1 New Crystal Palace Matters, Winter 1991-2?

I've seen it used elsewhere, but I get the feeling it's an illustration from an article or a book, and don't know where it's from. Do you remember all I have said about sources? I've often bought/found the original publication, when it's content wasn't advertised or known about by the dealer/librarian.

Interestingly, the Rotary series of Crystal Palace postcards is covered in an article by Melvyn Harrison in New Crystal Palace matters #6 Winter 1994-5, page 26, where he also illustrates #35. I have used mostly scans from postcards in my own collection, a few from old ebay auctions and the list from the extremely frustrating book on CP Postcards by Peskett & Tonkin.

As to more of the "All Red Route," I've yet to finish the "Campbell and Gray" or even start the "Valentine's" thread. There are a few more views of the All Red Route, though I don't have any of a view of the south terminal .

I am about to add a view of the "All Red Route" to the "Campbell Gray" thread.

Though has everyone seen enough pictures of the Palace yet! :roll: :roll:
Ancestral Huntress

Post by Ancestral Huntress »

From the 1911 census my Grt Grandfather Leonard Camille Hicks was living in Shepherds Bush as a Scenic Artist...... he records his employer as Crystal Palace........ I'm wondering if he had a hand in the scenery for the Pageant of London......... & I guess I'm hoping some kind soul here would be able to point me in the right direction as to find out more??

Looking forward to a reply no matter how small of help

Thank you
dave43

birdseye view of london showing crystal palace

Post by dave43 »

I have a Rotary Photo postcard with above title (not in your series, numbered 10506-3b) Crystal Palace is right on the horizon, lots of housing etc in foreground I don't recognise cos central london is my collecting area. It might be taken from tulse hill or the oval cos theres a cricket ground and gasometers in the foreground, but it's not oval! would be pleased to e mail or snail mail a copy if you think you can identify where it was taken from, just outta idle curiosity.
and what's all this about Sydenham being Cippenham?
I was born and bred in Cippenham, Slough, Bucks
we didn't have much (a sewage farm and a Mars factory) and it was bad enough when we got moved to Berks, now they're trying to pinch our name!
tulse hill terry

As a kind of response to Ancstral Huntress, there is an incrdible article including images of the working life of scenic painter John England [1862 - 1953] in this quarters edition of CRYSTAL PALACE MATTERS, "The Journal of the Crystal palace Foundation."

http://www.crystalpalacefoundation.org.uk/

It shows mediaeval buildings he erected inside the Palace, as well as the models for the buildings of the Festival of Empire of 1911.

Perhaps Leonard Camille Hicks 's employer was John England?
Last edited by tulse hill terry on 18 Oct 2012 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
philippe vervaecke

6799-19 Indian Court.

Post by philippe vervaecke »

Dear Sir,

I am a French academic currently finishing off a piece on imperial pageants and festivals in the UK.

Would you give me permission to use the item showing the Indian Court (cf title of this message) for an article due to be published by a French academic online journal (Histoire et Politique). This is a free access journal, and definitely a non-commercial undertaking. Their address is http://www.histoire-politique.fr/
My address is philippe.vervaecke@univ-lille3.fr

Many thanks in advance for your help,

All the best,

Philippe Vervaecke
Lecturer in British History
University of Lille 3
France
tulse hill terry

No problem at all, would be great if you could post a link to the finished article.
philippe vervaecke

Post by philippe vervaecke »

Thanks a lot!
Absolutely no problem, I'll post the link as soon as my piece is published, probably in May. May I inquire what name I need to give for acknowledging your kind authorization?
All the best
PV
tulse hill terry

Re: Festival of Empire 1911 by "ROTARY."

Louise Millard

Post by Louise Millard »

Looking for a high res (print quality) version of the "Festival of Empire and Imperial Exhibition 1911 held at Crystal Palace - can anyone help?
Many thanks
Chris Doran

Post by Chris Doran »

If it's the one, a copy has just appeared on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FESTIVAL-EMPIRE-I ... 3cb5553e3e One a week or so ago sold for £65. If you can't run to that, I have a copy (which I wouldn't have paid anywhere near £65 for), and I'll try to make a PDF. Can you put a figure on the resolution you need? The book has quite small print, and PDF files get rather big very easily. It doesn't have any photos of the events. I have a couple of similar 1911 booklets as well.
tulse hill terry

A typically generous offer from Chris.

The Bemrose Guide can be read online and downloaded here

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL7136255M ... _of_empire

and here

http://www.archive.org/details/festival ... 00lomaiala

for FREE!

What they [the OU] are actually asking for is a scan of the map by Philip's, which I first posted on this thread and that has since popped up in all sorts of places, incl Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festival_of_Empire

It also includes images from this Campbell and Gray thread uploaded by 'Rockybiggs.'

http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1485

It is a large scan actually, it's just this new format that shrinks it to fit now.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

An article, "Crystal Palace: Reflections of Empire" by local writer, Jan Piggott is in the latest edition of History Today - available at all good newsagents - and behind a pay-wall

http://www.historytoday.com/jan-piggott ... ons-empire
Felicityb

Post by Felicityb »

Hi

I'm a New Zealand historian working on a book about New Zealand and London - I'd like to be able to reproduce the picture of the New Zealand pavilion shown here in that book: is that possible?

Kind regards

Felicity Barnes
tulse hill terry

Sure, no problem, let me know if the resolution isn't high enough. It would be great if you can leave a link here after finishing your book.

There are more images here

"The Festival of Empire 1911 by publisher Campbell Gray"
http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1485
simon

Post by simon »

Looking at the site map, I have had to completely revise my idea of where the 1911 FA Cup Final was played. For some reason, from the photos I have seen of the match, I thought it was played on the other side, towards Upper Norwood, around where the athletics track is now. It looks, however, as if it was played on the Sydenham side at the Empire Sports Arena.
tulse hill terry

Who knows, this material was prepared before the event. A small note in a teachers guide for schoolchildren visiting the festival informs us the Kearney High Speed Railway did not appear after all. 'New London' didn't happen either.
perryman

Post by perryman »

Simon,
on this thread http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... cup#p22691, there is a picture of the 1905 cup final.

The 2 covered stands in the photo are angled just like the stands marked around the 'Outdoor Spectacles' arena on the above map - the site of the stadium today.
The 'Sports Arena' looks not to have any covered stands. (I think it was used more for cycling.)

I can't think why they would have played the 1911 final in a different arena.

A side observation is that in creating the arenas, they most likely created the large earth ridge that today still runs the length of the pools and all weather pitches. (It has a well worn unofficial gravelly path along its length.) Presumably this provided additional standing views of the events and also blocked the view of the ticket-less in the 'country life section' - the main large open area today.

You have to wonder what kind of view fans on the banks had of the Cup Finals, as they are so far from the action. West Ham fans will have an opportunity to find out in their new Olympic stadium, I guess.
simon

Post by simon »

Thanks Perryman.
Yes the pitch is where I already thought and you have confirmed what I said the thread you refer to. You're right abpout the views. Surely the people to the left in the picture above wont have see much detail. But then early FA Cup were played at cricket grounds like the Oval so perhaps it was considered progress.