The pub on the kirkdale roundabout

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Re: The pub on the kirkdale roundabout

Post by leenewham »

Totally agree Mary. As a general rule, if shopping malls and supermarkets do something its because they have research and know it works. Hardly ever do they charge for parking. If they do its based on evidence.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
stuart

Post by stuart »

Mary - nothing sacred about an hour limit. Two or four hours would seem to solve your issues. I've had issues there. We may not shop at the same time ... and lugging a six pack of 2 litre Pepsis (my daughter dies without a regular infusion) from Lidl's can be challenging. We are not all as young as you ...

Stuart

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

But the point is, Stuart, Girton Road car park is rarely full, even though it is free. There is no need to charge to free up space in it.

So there must be other reasons why people try to park on the road rather than using the car park. One is laziness, obviously. For me, the problem with using Girton Road is not being able to turn right onto Sydenham Road. I understand why it's not possible, but it does mean some fairly time-consuming driving in the wrong direction and tricky right hand turns to get back the way I want to go. I know in theory I could use the exit onto Sydenham Road, but I find it is usually blocked by vans and bins. I would support the exit onto Sydenham Road being properly paved and kept clear for car park users, rather than seeing it closed permanently, as someone mentioned.
simon

Post by simon »

I would prefer that too, but unfortunately the road isn't owned by the council, although the council are somehow able to spend money putting a gate in to stop people using it to exit the car park.
When we last had a parking consultation the the charging for Girton Road was emphatically rejected so I doubt it will be on the agenda for quite some time.
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

New antic pub in Forest Hill (Sylvan Post) opening within a couple of weeks apparently.
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

Annie wrote:No offence intended towards the Book shop,its a great place,but If I were driving through Sydenham ,not knowing it was there,I would keep driving!
How does this differ from most town centres?
I know an inordinate number of people love to suffer driving in London (especially at rush hour), but I don't see them doing these journeys for any other reason than to go from A to B (home -> work/supermarket/etc) without stopping anywhere on the way.
People going to the high street in Sydenham predominantly do so via foot - most traffic goes straight through.

This pub is in a brilliant location for a lot of people, as there are no decent pubs (sorry The Railway, but that's how it is, try serving ale one day) nearby and it's right by the station. Although I'm moving to the other side of C.P. in March I would have loved to have come off the train, get some shopping and then have a quick pint before coming home.

On another note I wandered down to The Paxton in Gypsy Hill the other weekend, and that was very nice - several ales, food (although a little expensive IMO), and a nice place. Although they do show football (sound off). but there is plenty of space.They seem to be an independent pub owned by a small microbrewery in Herne Hill.
Annie

Post by Annie »

opps- sorry i voiced my opinion-again! I really must stop doing that. :roll:
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

Annie wrote:opps- sorry i voiced my opinion-again! I really must stop doing that. :roll:
It's very hard for something to cater for everyone that might be interested in it, and in this case the pub can't cater for drivers due to its situation, even those that would have a reason to be driving and pubbing. However it can cater to commuters and shoppers and people living in a pub-deficient neighbourhood, and hopefully it will make Sydenham more appealing to people to go in the evening.

I don't know where you live, but is it really out of the question to walk/bus in to give the place a go one evening? I walk quite happily to/from C.P. for pubbing and dinner for example, around 20 minutes, or 15 minutes to the Bridge House at Penge West.
Annie

Post by Annie »

My post was just pointing out that passing trade would not have anywhere to park, not whether I can walk there or not, it was just an observation.
If I go to an area I don't know, and I am hungry or thirsty, and there wasn't parking nearby I would move on to the next place, Thats all I am saying,
as it happens I personally live close by to the Greyhound and I don't drive anyway, I leave all that nonsense to the hubby :)
simon

Post by simon »

Sad news :(

Dear All

It is with much sadness that I have to announce that we will not now be taking over the Greyhound in Sydenham. As many of you will have seen it has been seriously reduced in size and it is now quite simply, too small for us and all that we hope to bring to your new pub. We are currently in negotiations over another property nearby which should be finalised by the end of March, at which point I will of course be at liberty to let you know which one it is. All being well, we hope to have this new venture open in late May / early June.

In the meantime, The Sylvan Post in Forest Hill is due to open this coming Tuesday 28th at 6pm and I would like to invite you all down to have a look at the latest addition to the Antic Collective.

Thank you for your patience,

Cheers

Fi

Events, Marketing and Promotions.

ANTIC Ltd.

Jute House

1 Valmar works, Camberwell.

SE5 9NW

Mob: 07850 663 242

Office: 020 7733 8805
Annie

Post by Annie »

Expected.

Maybe we can have a money lending service there instead! :twisted:

--------------
Please continue the discussion here: http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7430

Admin