Antic pubs have withdrawn from the Greyhound

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
multisync

Re: Antic pubs have withdrawn from the Greyhound

Post by multisync »

Keep th pub idea, we need something for everyone in Sydenham
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

The Sydenham Society News will be going to the Printers next week - I quote part of an article about the future of the Greyhound below:

With regard to the Greyhound pub, Purelake advise that the whole back wall of the pub is being rebuilt along with the dangerous chimney-stacks. The rear wall will accommodate a tiled finish (see thread on the relaunch of the Greyhound Public Art competition in Town Cafe) and the tiles from the original drinking corridor will form part of the interior decoration. The roof has been stripped to replace the rotten rafters and the slates have been salvaged for reuse. The building is now structurally sound and the brickwork has been chemically cleaned of the cream paint and, we are told, looks splendid!
The finishing touch will be the replacement of the supine greyhounds by the front door.

If anyone has a photo of the greyhounds can they please get in touch with me as Purelake want to replace these and there are only fairly grainy pictures available, even from Steve Grindlay.

The news from Antic is interesting. I'm sure Sydenham could cope with two more watering holes - so, come on, a little less gloom and doom, everyone!
Annie

Post by Annie »

Where did the Greyhounds go to when the pub changed?

Damn, I'm sure ive seen one years ago somewhere in Sydenham wish I could remember where,
anyone else seen them?
multisync

Post by multisync »

This is just uch crap we have been promised the return of the greyhound for a long time what is happeninig !!!!!!!!!!!!!
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I have just tweeted the following. I have a few beer writers following me and have sent it to CAMRA. I suggest people put this out to their networks too:

PLEASE RT: Pub available LDN SE26 pic doesn't do justice, been refurbed new roof, clean brickwork etc @CAMRA_Official http://www.acorncommercial.co.uk/proper ... denham-179

Cheers

G-man

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I have Tweeted Geronimo Inns too. @geronimopubs on twitter.

G-man
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Annie wrote:Where did the Greyhounds go to when the pub changed?

Damn, I'm sure ive seen one years ago somewhere in Sydenham wish I could remember where,
anyone else seen them?
I think the Greyhounds went long before the pub closed. There was a thread somewhere on STF some time ago about possible whereabouts of them, but i think the greyhounds are long-gone, which is why replicas are being made.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

I think the stone Greyhounds went in the early to mid 90's when the pub was refurbished and the orignal ornate bar also disapeared.
Annie

Post by Annie »

I remember them so clearly,I can also remember when they removed them thinking why have they been allowed to do that? I have no idea how old they were, or how long they had been laying outside the pub, but what a shame to have lost them.
Was it when the pub became known as Firkin something?
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Was it when the pub became known as Firkin something?
It was Annie, I was told bythe then Landlord that the contractors "re-housed" them :wink:
Labanised

Post by Labanised »

I happened to be walking past the old post office this morning and only just noticed the sign saying 'Sylvan Post opening 28th Feb (or was it the 26th?)'.

Good start as far as having a pub in the area goes. I hope it provides an incentive for The Greyhound and The Woodman to crack on.

Slightly off topic (sorry) but, has anyone else walked past there (between the noodle place and the new sylvan post) in the late afternoon and smelt a certain powerful aroma?
I'm not talking about a single Bob Marley ciggie being smoked from outside the pub across from the job centre, either.

I confess I fairly staggered up Derby Hill after inhaling that potent miasma of herbalness :shock: .
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Labanised wrote:I happened to be walking past the old post office this morning and only just noticed the sign saying 'Sylvan Post opening 28th Feb (or was it the 26th?)'.

Good start as far as having a pub in the area goes. I hope it provides an incentive for The Greyhound and The Woodman to crack on.

Slightly off topic (sorry) but, has anyone else walked past there (between the noodle place and the new sylvan post) in the late afternoon and smelt a certain powerful aroma?
I'm not talking about a single Bob Marley ciggie being smoked from outside the pub across from the job centre, either.

I confess I fairly staggered up Derby Hill after inhaling that potent miasma of herbalness :shock: .
Going slightly off-topic.

It is good news about the Sylvan Post
The Woodman is an Estate Agents. It is doubtful it will ever be a pub again.
The Greyhound is up for grabs. It could be anything.

And the smell on Dartmouth Road,.. I have noticed it too. It's very overpowering. Not just a spliff, but perhaps something on a larger scale.
Labanised

Post by Labanised »

Cheers for that; I'm probably more gutted about the Woodman than the Greyhound purely in terms of distance to walk. The Greyhound is in such a hugely prominent location, it must be done right as it's almost a 'Welcome to Sydenham' landmark.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's important that the Greyhound become a landmark viable, aspirational business.

Perhaps some on here and the Syd Soc might want to organise a comittee to try to find a decent business to take it over.

As for Antic, I believe they have dumped in Sydenham twice so far, once with the old derelict buildings next to the DIY shop on Kirkdale (corect me if I'm wrong on this) that used to be an entrance to the station when the platform was in a different place (and was unfortunately pulled down) but pulled out. Now the Greyhound. Any talk by them of taking over another place in Sydenham should be taken with a pinch of salt.

It's interesting that Forest HIll seems to be the place de jour at the moment attracting investment from the likes of Antic, some interesting independent businesses and cafes (I've gone to Forest Hill to look around the shops and have a coffee). Certainly Lewisham rates FH over Sydenham and the FH society have been very successful in cultivating that where Sydenham hasn't. But it also has the Horniman, the pools, the library, pubs with comedy clubs (which again has made me visit Forest Hill) and a Sainsbury's right in it's town centre. Sydenham knocked down it's cinema years ago and a number of landmark buildings which is always short sighted and areas rarely, if ever recover from. While we have the arts festival (which is fantastic) when it is over what is there to keep people coming back? Besides Billings of course.

Lessons to be learned?
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

leenewham wrote:It's important that the Greyhound become a landmark viable, aspirational business.

Perhaps some on here and the Syd Soc might want to organise a comittee to try to find a decent business to take it over.

As for Antic, I believe they have dumped in Sydenham twice so far, once with the old derelict buildings next to the DIY shop on Kirkdale (corect me if I'm wrong on this) that used to be an entrance to the station when the platform was in a different place (and was unfortunately pulled down) but pulled out. Now the Greyhound. Any talk by them of taking over another place in Sydenham should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Agree with the first two Points - Pat, is this something you can instigate?!?

On your third point, I don't think you can be to hasty in dismissing them, they have a vision as to what they want and had their reasons for pulling out of the Greyhound. It does look somewhat different to how the original designs were shown. I can't comment on the first place they allegedly pulled out of. I think we should see what happens. It's a great shame as I was very excited about them taking over the Greyhound, especially with their general expansion in S. London - they have three pubs opening next week. But hopefully this other option will come through and we will have an Antic pub in Sydenham in the future.

It also sounds as if Pure Lake are pulling out the stops for it to remain as a boozer, or at least that's what I get from Pat's post. We'll have to wait and see.

As for your comments on Forest Hill, I personally don't think it's all that, we still have more to offer in Sydenham, and have the opportunity to have more, but in this economic climate, people are to scared to take the plunge. Which shows in Antic's decision, as I guess they wanted everything right, to fit their business model and make it work.

Cheers

G-Man
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hi G-man,

my point about Forest Hill was about investment. Whatever anyone thinks of the place, it has managed to attract new investment in the last few years from of Antic, St Davids, From the Forest, the Teapot, Stag & Bow, Bunka etc all of which are businesses that are not only well liked, but look great.

Somehow FH is currently better at attracting exciting new businesses than Sydenham is. The Syd Soc and all involved did a great job of attracting Michael to the Dolphin. How can we do that for other businesses (the sort that will complement the high street rather than just any franchise to fill any space at any cost).
Labanised

Post by Labanised »

If I'm walking past the Woodman and look either up Kirkdale or down towards the roundabout, Syd reminds me of Balham a few years back (anyone remember Balham: Gateway to the South?).
Not quite on par with Clapham (Old Town, Common, South etc) for various reasons but, with enough going for it to prevent it being a one-cart town.
Look at it now.

I sort of get a similar feeling with regard to Syd in comparison to FH, ED, CP (I hope this makes sense).

I love the place though and am glad i moved here. I don't think Syd is going to the dogs but, it definitely needs something positive to happen and The Greyhound being rejuvenated could be a catalyst.
dickp

Post by dickp »

Anyone spoken to the Capital Pub Company (owners of the Florence in Herne Hill)?

I'm looking at their P&L account on their website, which was pretty bad in 2010, but they seem to be back in profit in 2011. So maybe they're in the mood for a punt.

Failing that, what kind of outfit might be interested in moving into a unit of that size? I'm thinking of some kind of cafe / coffee shop with a fast turnover of punters, which would make it viable. I hesitate to say an upmarket chippy like Olley's (also of Herne Hill), but you catch my drift. Otherwise we'll end up with a Burger King.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

I am certain that The Greyhound will continue to be a landmark and a viable, aspirational business, G-man. I also smiled at your suggestion that "some on here and the Syd Soc might want to organise a comittee to try to find a decent business to take it over."

Having talked to Purelake recently we were assured that although A1 and A2 business could in fact go into the Greyhound building Purelake are aware that Sydenham wants a pub on this site and that is what they are going to provide. The building was in such a bad state following the fire and being open to the weather over the past 4 years that it needed to be structurally sound (which it now is) before being marketed. It now needs a back wall and a roof and some flooring. I understand there will be a planning application submitted shortly and I'm sure everyone on STF will pore over it and more comments will be made - I hope they will be favourable...

Purelake are offering a prize of £1000 for the winning artwork for the rear wall of the pub. Purelake would like to replace the greyhounds outside. I'm not paid by them to put out PR but I'm happy with the desire of Purelake to open the Greyhound as a pub/restaurant at the same time as the residential and retail opens in the summer. I'm also sure the building is on the radar of most breweries and independents.

Because of interminable roadworks over several years the improvements to Sydenham Road have been postponed time and again. Even last autumn work should have started on Station Approach and by now part of Sydenham Road would have been having a makeover, but it was Network Rail which held everything up, this time. Some work should start later this spring, but a moratorium on roadworks during the Olympics will mean a further delay.

Sydenham has been waiting for this uplift since 2008. When we see contractors starting in Station Approach in April/May - a month or so before the development at Cobbs Corner, including the Greyhound is completed and the hoardings come down - we really will believe that Sydenham's time has come. I'm patient enogh to wait for a few more months.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

So where Antic are quoted as saying this on a previous thread on the subject:-
It's all good...I received this from Fi at Antic when I chased her...

Apologies, I thought I had replied to this, I have had a few enquiries about the pub.
All I can tell you is that we currently still own the pub and there are no plans to move it on. I am afraid there is really nothing more to say. We are in limbo with it until such time that we are allowed to move in and start work and it wont be until then that we know the full extent of the work we will need to do. But as I say, this property is currently still ours.
If I hear any different, I will of course mail you back and update you.

Cheers

G-Man
Did they or didnt they actually " own " the Pub or not or have they sold it on rather than " pulled out" ?
Pat Trembath wrote:Having talked to Purelake recently we were assured that although A1 and A2 business could in fact go into the Greyhound building Purelake are aware that Sydenham wants a pub on this site and that is what they are going to provide.
And so there agent markets it as http://www.acorncommercial.co.uk/proper ... denham-179
Pat Trembath wrote: The building was in such a bad state following the fire and being open to the weather over the past 4 years that it needed to be structurally sound (which it now is) before being marketed
But it was being marketed last year, when Antic "Owned" it, as suitable for a " Bookmakers".

This is all very confusing.