TRAINS THIS WEEKEND - WOOHOO!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

TRAINS THIS WEEKEND - WOOHOO!

Post by admin »

Dig out your old Ian Allan books m'lads. I have it on firm evidence that there will be a full service from Sydenham Station this weekend.

What could possibly go wrong?

Admin
Okepinay

Re: TRAINS THIS WEEKEND - WOOHOO!

Post by Okepinay »

admin wrote:Dig out your old Ian Allan books m'lads. I have it on firm evidence that there will be a full service from Sydenham Station this weekend.

What could possibly go wrong?

Admin

Boris could interfere!!!!!
alywin

Post by alywin »

I've spent 2 days this week trying to decipher the on-screen engineering works announcement - the one saying no service between New Cross Gate and Norwood Junction, or something. Gave up and had to ask staff.

Mind you, you won't be able to get from London Bridge to Charing Cross tomorrow, but it's a start.
alywin

Post by alywin »

As far as I can see from the engineering works posters, I don't think there'll be any trains again between London Bridge and West Croydon this Sunday. Add to that nothing between Herne Hill and Victoria on the Penge East line, and some of us are going to be a bit scuppered.
LivesNearby

Post by LivesNearby »

Many London Overground passengers will be affected this week with engineering works affecting five out of the six London Overground lines.

Barking - Gospel Oak trains replaced by buses throughout.
No North London Line trains until 10:15 and then only between Stratford and Willesden Junction. Buses from Willesden Junction serve Acton Central and Gunnersbury and the District line continues from Gunnersbury to Kew Gardens and Richmond.
No Watford Local Lines service (DC Lines) service between Willesden Junction and Euston.
No East London Line trains from Highbury & Islington will run beyond New Cross Gate .
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just to clarify trains from Sydenham Station

Normal trains SATURDAY 10th MARCH
No trains SUNDAY 11th MARCH

What's the point of a Sunday timetable? It must have been operated less than 50% of 2012 with no explanation beyond engineering works. This surely cannot be normal maintenance. People who need to travel regularly (the majority) will have found other, probably less environmentally, ways to travel.

Admin
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I use my Bradshaw's
noangel

Post by noangel »

All this weekend "engineering work" has resulted in me not using Sydenham station anymore. I work most weekends and needed an alternative route to work. Did some research and discovered that walking to Penge East and getting the train to Victoria (then on to the dreaded Underground to work) was quicker than Overground from Sydenham.

So in a way I'm grateful for all this weekend engineering work because if it hadn't been for that I wouldn't have discovered this quicker route to work and wouldn't be having my extra 30 mins in bed every morning :wink:
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Very strange - as I got off the Overground train this afternoon at NXG a 14.19 train to Tattenham Corner (on the East Croydon line) was being advertised, stopping at all stations.

Amazingly, a 3-coach train arrived almost immediately and stopped at every station between NXG and Sydenham - so pull up the ladder, Jack, I was all right and home in no time and watching the rugby!

However four young ladies from Shoreditch, also using this "ghost" train were told at Sydenham station that no trains would be stopping at Sydenham on the route back.

Maybe this was the case but it struck me that if trains can stop at all stations en route to East Croydon and beyond, maybe they could return by the same route?

It would be helpful to get the full picture next time trains from NXG to W Croydon/Crystal Palace are cancelled, as no doubt they will be....
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

From TfL:

On Sunday, there is no service between Highbury & Islington and New Cross/New Cross Gate due to track maintenance work.

On Sunday, there is no service between Sydenham and Crystal Palace due to track maintenance work.

Admin
Labanised

Post by Labanised »

Hi,
There is also this snippet from TfL :
Sunday 18 March, reduced service between New Cross Gate and West Croydon.

London Overground will be running two trains per hour and not the usual four trains per hour on this section of route.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

As per last weekend it would appear the East Croydon trains will also be running.

So add two EC trains per hour to the two LO trains and on Sunday we can expect a timetable similar to that we enjoyed (?) in the early 2000s - 4 trains per hour - riches indeed....
alywin

Post by alywin »

noangel wrote:Did some research and discovered that walking to Penge East and getting the train to Victoria (then on to the dreaded Underground to work) was quicker than Overground from Sydenham.

So in a way I'm grateful for all this weekend engineering work because if it hadn't been for that I wouldn't have discovered this quicker route to work and wouldn't be having my extra 30 mins in bed every morning :wink:
Yes, but Penge East is in Zone 4, while Sydenham is in Zone 3. Doesn't it cost you more?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The trains are running this weekend ... 31st March/April 1st (no joke!)

Admin
gerry

Post by gerry »

Note that there are NO direct trains to East Croydon this weekend
alywin

Post by alywin »

Great. Just the one time I was actually intending to use my zone 1-6 day Travelcard from Sydders to EC ...
Labanised

Post by Labanised »

Hi,
I'm a bit confused (albeit too easily) about what's happening this weekend on the trains.
There is no info as yet on TfL's site and my confusion stems from beginning to hope that we could have...

...a normal service?

No, surely I must have got that wrong.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

My weekend update email from TFL indicates lots of engineering work on the northern sections of the Overground, but (apparently) nothing on our branch. Some mistake, surely?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

For this weekend (14/15th April) there is supposedly nearly a full service.

However the Overground is not running any trains before 8am Sunday because of signalling work between New Cross & West Croydon/Crystal Palace but Southern still have them scheduled. However they are messing around at East Croydon on Sunday so anything might happen.

Best keep your eyes peeled to the NatRail site as we role up to actuality:
http://nationalrail.co.uk

Admin