Support your local French bakery!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
SydenhamStokie

Support your local French bakery!

Post by SydenhamStokie »

We went into the French bakery on Kirkdale a couple of times last week and the owner seemed a bit despondent. He has had to increase prices because of a rise in the cost of raw materials and is not optimistic about the future of the business.

Please support this great bakery - we even bought a loaf of bread yesterday rather than bake our own, as we usually do. We don't want to be looking back in a year's time and say "what a shame the bakery has gone".

The cynics amongst you will automatically assume I have a connection to the business; apart from buying croissants and more a couple a times a week, I don't.
Rachael

Re: Support your local French bakery!

Post by Rachael »

I have bought croissants a few times from this bakery, but was very disappointed. Kirkdale Bakery - if you are reading, here is some feedback. The croissant pastry itself was delicious, but the almond croissants were overfilled with very sweet almond paste, which prevented the base of the croissant from baking properly. The underside was under-baked (to the point of being raw) and very oily from the almond paste, while the top was been over-baked. I have tried these croissants three times over a period of about six months and they are the same every time. I would willingly walk miles for a good almond croissant, so get this right and I will be a regular customer.

As a suggestion - the croissants and pain au chocolate are all huge. As the costs of flour, butter etc have been rising, it might be a good idea to make them a bit smaller but keep the price the same. I'm rather put off buying pastries when they are very large as I know I won't eat it all, and it's not worth keeping the extra, so some always goes to waste.

That's my experience - now let's have some feedback from people who have been delighted, so we can get a balanced view of how the bakery is doing.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

My wife's Saturday morning ritual is to get a range of yummy things there just as they open. She loves the early morning walk and hurries back so that we can all enjoy them nice and warm. Always delicious.

I've popped in there a few times too.

My three favorite businesses in the neighbourhood are SugaHill Cafe and Gallery, Billings and La Bonne Bakery.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Been a few times and thought the bread was delicious! Will make sure we pop there this weekend and whenever we are around that area. A great business, and you're right it would be a real shame.

G-Man
Janeco

Post by Janeco »

We love the fruit tarts and the bread is very good. Tend to agree that croissants and pains au chocolat are on the large side but, as I don't eat either, don't have a view. My son enjoys them as well as the cookies. The shop always seems busy on Saturday and Sunday mornings and I have even seen queues out the door so I do hope they survive. We need more of such businesses in the area.
sisterofwookie

Post by sisterofwookie »

this is a wonderful business and would be tragic for it close! Lets ditch tesco's sliced for french and fresh!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Sounds good but better if British Bakery. We can make lovely bread.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Eagle wrote:Sounds good but better if British Bakery. We can make lovely bread.
We do make amazing bread and you can go to The Cake Store down the bottom for that, amazing bakery. But if you want a decent Eclair or Baguette La Bonne is bloomin great! So mix it up I say!

G-Man
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

I think the bakery is a great asset, but i like the other correspondents mention, wish they did more of a selection of breads, especially some artisan ones. They would defo get my business and others i am sure as well
Marathon

Post by Marathon »

I was really looking forward to this bakery's opening but really disappointed when I made the trek from Lower Sydenham one Sunday morning last year. The two pain chocolat were undercooked and the pain aux raisins was a pyramid of dough devoid of raisins and patissier's custard. Sorry to say that I'd rather buy my patisserie from the Tesco Express opposite.

Currently in France and raring to hit the bakery in the morning for my patisserie fix.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

So much for being patriotic and holidaying in UK
I have not been overseas for 7 years and support British workers
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

We live in London, so absolutely MIX IT UP.
Zoelee

Post by Zoelee »

We've had nothing but great pain au chocolate from this place. I'll happily go and eat more to keep them open! :)
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Zoelee wrote:We've had nothing but great pain au chocolate from this place. I'll happily go and eat more to keep them open! :)
Agree ZoeLee and can't believe someone was complaing they were to big! :)
paultreacy wrote:We live in London, so absolutely MIX IT UP.
I say a big yes to that! They are still a local business and sell great produce. I think it's great that you can get amazing Turkish food on Sydenham Road, great French Produce and brilliant British produce. I think shopping in all these shops is just as Patriotic as flying the Union flag, the influence of immigration on British food is immense and what makes Britain Great. For one, I only found out recently fish and chips is Jewish in origin!

Anyway, back to subject...

G-Man
multisync

Post by multisync »

Yes support this bakery, we need something in Kirkdale apart from Rams, Tesco Costcutter and the other shop opposite "The Woodman".
The bread is good and different from "Slatters",the croisants etc are also good,although sometimes burnt on top.But the guy says this is how thr French like there bread.The British don't know how to make a decent loaf,all taste the same.
Support support or it will go!!!!!
Micromel

Post by Micromel »

I love the bread, it is all amazing. I will definitely continue to support this bakery and will definitely buy a loaf of bread when I pass by - the prices are so reasonable. The sandwiches are ok but limited in selection - maybe they could try expanding these and tap into the lunchtime trade.
I do find the cookies and tarts a bit heavy - suspect they are made with lard. A bigger selection of cakes would be good - like you get in a patisserie in France.
Croissants are not my cup of tea but my husband loves them and really likes the almond and chocolate one.
The bakery is sometimes shut without warning although last time they did put up a notice so maybe they've realised people don't like that.
That's what I think - didn't mean to go on quite so much!!

Marathon

Post by Marathon »

Eagle wrote:So much for being patriotic and holidaying in UK
I have not been overseas for 7 years and support British workers
Seriously, do bore off!!

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

So we get taken to task for supporting British workers. What has the world come to.
Marathon

Post by Marathon »

Your post had nothing to do with the topic but everything to do with being sanctimonious.

G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Actually went there Friday afternoon about 2pm and they'd sold out of everything and were closed, they opened the door after I tried to get in. So, hopefully this means all is good!

G-Man